Is an apology needed?

harrydaisy
harrydaisy Posts: 131
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
I seemed to have got off on the wrong foot with a few people on this forum...this was not the intention.

When I read the title of this section "road beginners" I was under the impression that it was a good place to ask the advice/ opinion of my more experienced peers in the way of road cycling, hopefully to discuss and learn a thing or two.

So I sensed nothing wrong in my Opinion that cyclists seem rude and ignorant by not passing the time of day with fellow cyclists. In regards to shaving my legs, yes it's crossed my mind but I don't really want to do it and the only reason that a mate has given me is that it's better if you fall off. I have now found out that is not the case (so thanks for that). I also thinks its more than acceptable to wear whatever jersey you want to on a bike ( team or not) surely whatever encourages you to get out for a ride is a good thing? This is a forum where everyone has a right to express their view.

I can also assure some of you that I am not a past forummer out to "troll" ( what ever the fuck that is). I am just a bloke that has an opinion ( sometimes too much of one :lol: )that was after some advice and guidance from fellow cyclists.

If I have covered topics that have already been done to death then apologies but surely I'm in the right place (ROAD BEGINNERS) to express these views.

Anyway more than happy to offer an apology if needed , but it would be good to move on...

(PS - to anyone new to this forum reading this thread the majority of fellow forummers have been sound and have offered some great advice and some nice comments on my posting of my bikes on "your road bike" thread, so don't be put off)
Wilier Izoard XP "Petacchi"/ Campag Veloce/ Fulcrum Racing 5
Bianchi Via Nirone 7/ Campag Xenon

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    hello and welcome I read your post and the comments, perhaps the road section isnt the best place on this forum to start try over in Commuting Chat and if you search you'll find I started a similar thread (with pics) that went for some time and I think was pretty damn funny if I say so myself.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • harrydaisy
    itboffin wrote:
    hello and welcome I read your post and the comments, perhaps the road section isnt the best place on this forum to start try over in Commuting Chat and if you search you'll find I started a similar thread (with pics) that went for some time and I think was pretty damn funny if I say so myself.

Thanks that's the first welcome that I have received so hats off to you :wink: I will definately check out your thread.

If that is the case perhaps this section should be re named? I don't think that road beginners gives the right impression?
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    Since joining the forum I have asked all sorts of questions and asked for advice on various things without any problems whatsoever. In fact just the opposite, had nothing but sound advice and helpful comments from everyone who replied to my posts. I guess it all depends on the question and subject!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    np fella this forum is almost completely full of good people in my experience but then i'm super laid back if you want to ask general questions i'm afraid the road section doesnt seem to be the first port of call, like you say perhaps it's wrongly named anyway not being worried by labels myself i suggest you browse around the forum, and as much as i pains me to promote (without cash payment) this is one of the best internet cycling forums FACT.

:lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • harrydaisy
    itboffin wrote:
    np fella this forum is almost completely full of good people in my experience but then i'm super laid back if you want to ask general questions i'm afraid the road section doesnt seem to be the first port of call, like you say perhaps it's wrongly named anyway not being worried by labels myself i suggest you browse around the forum, and as much as i pains me to promote (without cash payment) this is one of the best internet cycling forums FACT.

:lol:

Will do, it was recommended to me and I wanted to stick with it, hence the reason for this post.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Firstly, I also say Welcome. Unless you are actually rude to another poster/rider/mod etc, then I wouldn't apologise. You are entitled to your opinion. I rather see someone say their own mind then follow the crowd. Sometimes it can be hard writing on a forum as you are not face-to-face with another and don't know them personally any humour or sarcasm can be lost. Some posters are can be big mouthed on the forum but probably little mice when you meet them ;-) But, that's life. This time next week, everything will be internet history and forgotten for a new posting.

Er, looks like I break all the rules as well. I ride a Cannondale, but don't have single Dale clothing item...Oh dear just been out on my road bike with Ron Hill Classic pants as well LOL
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • harrydaisy
    Firstly, I also say Welcome. Unless you are actually rude to another poster/rider/mod etc, then I wouldn't apologise. You are entitled to your opinion. I rather see someone say their own mind then follow the crowd. Sometimes it can be hard writing on a forum as you are not face-to-face with another and don't know them personally any humour or sarcasm can be lost. Some posters are can be big mouthed on the forum but probably little mice when you meet them ;-) But, that's life. This time next week, everything will be internet history and forgotten for a new posting.

Er, looks like I break all the rules as well. I ride a Cannondale, but don't have single Dale clothing item...Oh dear just been out on my road bike with Ron Hill Classic pants as well LOL

Thanks, appreciate the comments and completely agree that a lot of this is all lost in translation :wink:
  • as with all forums sometimes you need to be thick skinned, most people are great and helpful however there are a few with little patience and strong opinions, you'll soon identify them and hopefully ignore.

PS welcome, but with 50 odd posts probably a little late for that? :)
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    No not really any need to apologise, some of your posts have been extremely entertaining, however others have said, get a thicker skin if you are going to persist with re hashing old subjects, try not to keep contradicting yourself in your posts, you loose much credibility like this, and try to make use of the search functionality that some software designer has thoughtfully added to the forum. If after using the search you have neither found an answer or require further clarification, then ask away but maybe add that you tried searching already. Also maybe concentrate on more meaningful subjects, leg shaving and waving really are non sensical. Good luck i look forward to our impending meeting
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    No need to apologise at all; you've just as much right to express your views as anyone else.

Of course if others disagree with your view they have a right to express that too. :wink:
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    itboffin wrote:
    I thought this was the road BEGINNERS forum - hence I've been looking in here. Mind you - there have been some beginners questions that appear to be anything but ... I assume they've just got lost because they were too mean to buy a Garmin 800 ...

Whilst I do sometimes commute on my bike it's not the main area of interest hence I don't look at that section.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Harry, I think the problems you have encountered stem mainly from the fact that you haven't used the search function prior to posting.

Unbeknownst to you, the two questions you asked get asked here a lot. A simple search would have called up a multitude of threads covering your two topics without the need to start new ones.

Other topics such as "should I wear a helmet?", "should I listen to music while riding?" & "which saddle do I need?" would likely receive a similar smattering of sarcastic responses.

Don't take it personally, but these threads get started every week or so.
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    Harry, I think the problems you have encountered stem mainly from the fact that you haven't used the search function prior to posting.

Unbeknownst to you, the two questions you asked get asked here a lot. A simple search would have called up a multitude of threads covering your two topics without the need to start new ones.

Other topics such as "should I wear a helmet?", "should I listen to music while riding?" & "which saddle do I need?" would likely receive a similar smattering of sarcastic responses.

So to sum it up then?

Should I wear a helmet - It's up to you
    Should I shave my legs - It's up to you
    Should I listen to music - It's up to you
    Which saddle do I need - Whatever fits best but really (you guessed it) it's up to you

Bit of a common occurence here :wink:
  • Kingy911
    Kingy911 Posts: 134

But surely this is still a beginners forum ? I f people get annoyed with repeated subjects being posted from 'road beginner's' then I would suggest that it is time for those who get annoyed rather easily to move on to another forum, as they are obviously too professional/cock sure to offer advice to the 'road beginner'.
    I have had sarcastic comments also and they don't bother me, but, it can affect some people and come across as condescending and unhelpful as Harry as obviously found.

Harry, keep posting and ignore the knobs
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    Kingy911 wrote:

But surely this is still a beginners forum ? I f people get annoyed with repeated subjects being posted from 'road beginner's' then I would suggest that it is time for those who get annoyed rather easily to move on to another forum, as they are obviously too professional/fool sure to offer advice to the 'road beginner'.
    I have had sarcastic comments also and they don't bother me, but, it can affect some people and come across as condescending and unhelpful as Harry as obviously found.

Not really, a beginner's forum would be no use without experienced riders to give advice. In defence of the OP the search function isn't the most user friendly. However, the ignorant roadie question is a regular and it isn't uncommon for there to be 2 or 3 threads on the front page of this forum alone at any one time (plus others in Cake Stop, Commuting etc.) which is why it generates such responses. As for shaving legs, there have been a lot of threads on this recently for some reason - maybe a certain type of middle aged man are attracted to the sport purely as an excuse to shave their body hair :lol: I shave mine mainly when I race, partly due to the increased chances of a crash, partly as it's easier for putting embrocation on your legs and clean it off later but also for the psycholgical feeling it gives - my legs are shaved therefore I'm in race mode. I doubt I'd bother just for leisure cycling although shaved legs look less bad with lycra shorts than hairy legs (note less bad not good or even better as lycra shorts on a man always look bad!!).

Welcome to the forum harrydaisy.

Rule 1 - never apologise, it is seen as a weakness.
    Rule 2 - get a thick skin, one man's insult is another man's banter!
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Two points, well made:

Beginner's forum - should be able to ask anything relating to getting started
    Forum search function - not fantastic and can return so many threads it is difficult to know where to start.

There is also a healthy dose of pi$$ taking which sometimes can go awry as often typed comments don't come across as well as they would when spoken. So you need a bit if thick skin from time to time.

Welcome and enjoy your time on here. You'll soon be answering the questions from the next phase of new-starts.
  • harrydaisy
    BruceG wrote:
    No not really any need to apologise, some of your posts have been extremely entertaining, however others have said, get a thicker skin if you are going to persist with re hashing old subjects, try not to keep contradicting yourself in your posts, you loose much credibility like this, and try to make use of the search functionality that some software designer has thoughtfully added to the forum. If after using the search you have neither found an answer or require further clarification, then ask away but maybe add that you tried searching already. Also maybe concentrate on more meaningful subjects, leg shaving and waving really are non sensical. Good luck i look forward to our impending meeting

Thanks look forward to it :wink:
  • harrydaisy
    Kingy911 wrote:

But surely this is still a beginners forum ? I f people get annoyed with repeated subjects being posted from 'road beginner's' then I would suggest that it is time for those who get annoyed rather easily to move on to another forum, as they are obviously too professional/fool sure to offer advice to the 'road beginner'.

Thanks, advice taken to be honest I am pretty thick skinned but also a little argumentative at times so I can give as good as I can get :D

I do understand everyone's comments on the search function but as a newbie to the forum I was keen to address directly the most important issues to me...but I will try to use in future.

I do think however that the mods should consider either giving this section a new title or those that use it should be aware that there are people like me who are gonna post stuff that has been done to death before :wink:
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    harrydaisy wrote:

I do think however that the mods should consider either giving this section a new title or those that use it should be aware that there are people like me who are gonna post stuff that has been done to death before :wink:

Grow up, internet forums have been around a long time
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    harrydaisy wrote:

yer - but you've only been registered on this one for 20 months - did you know all the answers when you joined up?

:?
  • Leeuw
    Leeuw Posts: 99
    I'm quite happy to offer any words of wisdom I can - even if it's a question that's been posted before. I know I quizzed enough people about enough things on my first club run, but they welcomed me back the following week!

The problem with forums, and the written word in general, is comments can easily be mis-read and offence made where none was intended. But experienced cyclists shouldn't pour scorn on newbies, even if they do repeat questions - if its important to them, let them ask. If it troubles you to read it, try the next Forum question instead :wink:

As far as choices go - as others have said, go for what pleases you.
    Team kit - if you like
    Marque/brand kit - if you like
    Shaved legs - if you like
    Any subject - if you like :wink:

If you want to see a properly heated forum debate, pop off to an IT based forum and suggest that Mac is better than PC, and Bill Gates was a money grabbing psycopath. Sit back and watch the insults/curses/slaner/death threats roll in :lol:
  • Wacky Racer
    Wacky Racer Posts: 638
    Firstly, welcome from me :)

I'm surprised that you feel the need to apologise, this is a forum that attracts all sorts, and you have to allow for that. As previously mentioned, you need to grow a thicker skin, what appears to you to be a put down is just banter to someone else. We've all asked stupid questions when we look back at them, we all learn from others, surely that is what a beginners forum is for.

You already mention that most people have been fine, so surely that tells you that this forum is no different to life in general. I find the vast majority on here to be helpful and pleasant too. Get over it and keep on posting, and if you post anything stupid people will either tell you, or ignore it, that's their choice.
    Ridley Orion
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Slowbike wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    harrydaisy wrote:

yer - but you've only been registered on this one for 20 months - did you know all the answers when you joined up?

Given that this is a cycling forum, not an internet forum forum (if such a thing exists), it's entirely possible for a new member to be well informed...
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    DesWeller wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    harrydaisy wrote:

Given that this is a cycling forum, not an internet forum forum (if such a thing exists), it's entirely possible for a new member to be well informed...
    I agree with others that sometimes something's are misconstrued and taken the wrong way. But I also feel there are a few trolls on this forum - not being friendly.

However, I don't agree with you Harry, that this forum should be re-named. It is for Road Bike Beginners, and as such the name says so. Don't worry about posting questions, even if they may have been asked before many times (please search first), that is what this forum is for...
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • harrydaisy
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    harrydaisy wrote:

Are you for real? This thread was an olive branch to people like you, but in all honesty you don't deserve it. Do you know what an utter tool you look to other sensible people that are using this forum?

An cycling Internet forum is for people to express their views, I am expressing mine - why is that such a problem?
  • harrydaisy
    TheFD wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    harrydaisy wrote:

I agree with others that sometimes something's are misconstrued and taken the wrong way. But I also feel there are a few trolls on this forum - not being friendly.

However, I don't agree with you Harry, that this forum should be re-named. It is for Road Bike Beginners, and as such the name says so. Don't worry about posting questions, even if they may have been asked before many times (please search first), that is what this forum is for...

Fair comment but this is for Road Beginners and I am a road beginner asking questions (waving, shaving) which I was genuinely intrested in people's opinions. Surely if I am not suppose to post such questions then it's not a road beginners forum???

Perhaps it should be the Experienced Road Cyclists Beginners Forum?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    No.. No.. No.. Harry. It should be the Road Beginners (not for silly repetative questions though) Section 8)

Although if that were the case I would have to retract at least half my posts.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    harrydaisy wrote:
    Surely if I am not suppose to post such questions then it's not a road beginners forum???

Perhaps it should be the Experienced Road Cyclists Beginners Forum?
    No not at all. Go ahead and ask! If others are thinking "not this subject again" then they should not look or post on it if they don't want to help!!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    There are over 16000 topics in the beginners section. It would be very quiet on here if you could only ask bike related questions that have never been asked before.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • Leeuw
    Leeuw Posts: 99
    Ringo 68 wrote:
    There are over 16000 topics in the beginners section. It would be very quiet on here if you could only ask bike related questions that have never been asked before.

You could probably offer a prize for anyone who comes up with a completely new question :wink: