Shaving my legs

harrydaisy
harrydaisy Posts: 131
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
I'm sure it's been covered a million times, but I'm really not sure about shaving my legs. They are particually hairy and my wife is giving me grief about potentially shaving them ( lets just say that bedroom action could be reduced :( )

I am in two minds, I am now up to about 80-100 miles a week and although I have been cycling seriously 18 months I have not as yet had a serious crash ( thank goodness ) however the law of averages dictate that it will happen at some point.

Are there any serious reason why you should shave your legs or is it just vanity?
Wilier Izoard XP "Petacchi"/ Campag Veloce/ Fulcrum Racing 5
Bianchi Via Nirone 7/ Campag Xenon

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    How will it look on the Golf Course :?:
  • harrydaisy
    edited June 2012
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    How will it look on the Golf Course :?:

Ha ha. I usually wear my trouser on the course - thanks for your input really constructive :P

Sorry are you the forum joker? There is always one....
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Just trim them with clippers... It will be easier to clean and still get u action with the Missis...
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • harrydaisy
    edited June 2012
    Rushmore wrote:
    Just trim them with clippers... It will be easier to clean and still get u action with the Missis...

Thanks, I am curious so want to try it (just once at least) but what why, what's the evidence to suggest that I should..?
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Fall off and see what happens.
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    you don't really have a good reason to save your legs, do you.

"I'm going to shave my legs in case i fall off"
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    What do want 'evidence' for? very puzzled.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/h ... sts-14792/
    and how not to do it... well have sorted it for tomorrow at least
    yH9EC.jpg
  • why do you need evidence? you want to - so do it. You can always grow it back.
    Your FCN number will be lower so be prepared. http://www.itsnotarace.org/fcn-calculator/

No one will laugh, honest.
  • harrydaisy
    nathancom wrote:

No not really and I don't really want to do it, so what's the point? Is it because the pros do it, so I should do it also, or is it because it fuckin hurts if I take a nasty tumble?
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    I don't shave my legs, and I've had pretty nasty road rash on them, and I can't imagine that having no hair / stubble would have made it any less painful. Really. No difference at all.

Leg shaving if purely for vanity, but I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Apparently it makes you leg muscles really visible, which can be nice.
  • harrydaisy
    Secteur wrote:
    I don't shave my legs, and I've had pretty nasty road rash on them, and I can't imagine that having no hair / stubble would have made it any less painful. Really. No difference at all.

Leg shaving if purely for vanity, but I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Apparently it makes you leg muscles really visible, which can be nice.

Thanks at last someone with a straight answer...for a moment I thought I had posted in the wrong section...this is raoad beginners advice, isn't it?
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    I shaved my legs in my first cycling "career" (raced from 16 to 19 years of age) and haven't in my second cycling "career" (last 4 years racing). I have had road rash in both and it made no difference (the bloody hair grows back while you have your plasters on and still hurts to pull off). I have won races in both but I have gone faster in 10 and 25 mile tt's and made 2nd cat this time around, so maybe hairy legs are faster?

Seriously though, the only difference is the amount of grief I get from other cyclists because I don't shave them.
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    perhaps more people will wave at you
  • BruceG
    edited June 2012
    harrydaisy wrote:
    nathancom wrote:

No not really and I don't really want to do it, so what's the point? Is it because the pros do it, so I should do it also, or is it because it fuckin hurts if I take a nasty tumble?
    Man you have real issues, look back a few posts and you state that you want to do it, now you say you dont really want to, this isnt the first time you have contradicted yourself, you did it in your waving thread to
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Argh this is painful.

Pros shave their legs because they receive massages after EVERY stage. Have you ever had a massage on hairy legs? It hurts.

Also, Pros ride HARD, EVERY day. Therefore, they crash more often. Bandages/dressings stick better on shaved legs.

The moral of the story: You don't need to shave your legs. Just worry about riding your bike and don't worry about how you look!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    you dont need to shave your legs. i like to and i have them waxed cos i dont like body hair. but i always was weird ...
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Search is your friend. This is something of a old chestnut, that pops up every few weeks which may explain why you've got some answers you've not appreciated.

It boils down to do it if you want, don't if you don't. The difference at our level of riding is negligible.
  • indysmith
    indysmith Posts: 276
    I shaved my legs today.Here's why:

I have been shaving my knees because I need to tape them to manage my chondromalacia-related issues, and tape on hair doesn't stick very well and hurts quite a lot to take off.

Then I got annoyed with the leg grippers on my shorts pulling on my hair all the way through every ride, and shaved a strip around the thigh.

Then I was mocked at a bike shop for having hairy calves poking out from beneath Rapha knee warmers.

I looked in the mirror and realised I looked like a bit of a twonk with bits of my legs shaved and bits incredibly hairy, so I just got rid of it all today. It was a mission - i had to go over them with clippers first because the razor was getting clogged up instantly. Also it's cold, and my legs sort of feel like there's a lot of sharp hairs poking into them. I cut myself a couple of times, and I have some shaving rash coming on in certain areas too.
    At least I'm not getting bullied by people in bike shops anymore... just everybody else.
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    +1 to the comment regarding massage,
    Shaving legs is one of the reasons the pro's do it due to the amount of massages they receive.

Massage on hairy legs is horrible. Unless you will be having regualr leg massage i really cant see the point, but "too look like a pro"

I crashed badly a year ago, road rash on my legs and i can honestly say having shaved legs wouldnt have made it any less painful.

cheers
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    BruceG wrote:
    Man you have real issues, look back a few posts and you state that you want to do it, now you say you dont really want to, this isnt the first time you have contradicted yourself, you did it in your waving thread to

Some may say 'top trolling' :mrgreen:
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I doubt if the OP has hairier legs than mine, and I shaved for the first time two weeks ago, and again yesterday. Great, first time took about an hour (no really), but don't regret it at all ...... plus I do have defined calf muscles so it does show them off better imo lol ..
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    No further explanation is needed...

http://davesbikeblog.squarespace.com/bl ... ou-wi.html

(I shave mine)
  • BruceG
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    BruceG wrote:

Quite, I am sure he is one of a previous superstars, just not sure if it is Sunderland Supporter, or TheBigBee on the glorious comeback trail
  • harrydaisy
    BruceG wrote:
    harrydaisy wrote:
    nathancom wrote:

Sorry did you actually read the OP? I stated that I was in "two minds" and " not really sure"......

This is the "road beginners" forum is it not? So do you not expect that you will get the odd question like this, from people like me that are new to the sport. Most on this forum seem to be able to give sound advice, I suspect that people like you scare a few people off this forum with your attitude! I also suspect that ( in relation to the cycling etiquette thread) you are a non waver or perhaps you feel that the influx of new cyclists should not been on the road :x

So I am sorry to ask the advice of fellow cyclist on what I thought was a section dedicated to those that have no idea and rely on their peers for advice :roll:

I also suspect that you are a bit of a cock.
  • harrydaisy

(I shave mine)

Thanks. Interesting article. Still not sure I really want to go down this route, as Im not a member of a club (too clicky for me) I don't race ( I'm not and will never be good enough), but as with other posts I've read whether it's team jerseys or whatever the best advice is whatever makes you feel good on a bike should be followed.
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158

(I shave mine)
    Thats just sheepin'
  • harrydaisy
    BruceG wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    BruceG wrote:

Quite, I am sure he is one of a previous superstars, just not sure if it is Sunderland Supporter, or TheBigBee on the glorious comeback trail

Bruce (if that's your name) I can assure you that I am not some past forummer, you may want to check my most recent post regarding an apology (although i fear it would be wasted on you) However I am the bigger person so more than happy for you to show me the way of the road :lol: if you are ever in the Kent area. I am a real person who thought I might have picked up a thing or two from an obviously more superior cyclist :wink:
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    me shave legs. me like. end of. :D
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • BruceG
    harrydaisy wrote:
    BruceG wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    BruceG wrote:

Bruce (if that's your name) I can assure you that I am not some past forummer, you may want to check my most recent post regarding an apology (although i fear it would be wasted on you) However I am the bigger person so more than happy for you to show me the way of the road :lol: if you are ever in the Kent area. I am a real person who thought I might have picked up a thing or two from an obviously more superior cyclist :wink:
    Excellent i am just over the bridge in essex i woukd delight in meeting you, please name a date and location we can further discuss you calling me a fool. In fact there is a go race event in essex this coming thursday why dont you pop along and see get on its at Dunton of the A127 7:00 pm start, I cant wait to meet you
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    BruceG wrote:
    harrydaisy wrote:
    BruceG wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    BruceG wrote:

Excellent i am just over the bridge in essex i woukd delight in meeting you, please name a date and location we can further discuss you calling me a fool. In fact there is a go race event in essex this coming thursday why dont you pop along and see get on its at Dunton of the A127 7:00 pm start, I cant wait to meet you
    Bring a camera, I'd love to get some footage of this. It's like a soapseries!