Help for Heroes.........

2»

Comments

• essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    GiantMike wrote:
    jim453 wrote:
    Why do you disagree with the part about Hitler being a brave corporal? It appears to be one of the only statements here that is a matter of fact not opinion.

WTF does Hitler have to do with HFH?

Would anybody like to donate to my new charity, 'Help for Bell-Ends'. There's a clear cry for help from the OP that we can't ignore. With your help we could get him/her and support he/she needs to overcome his/her addiction to trolling. Maybe those unemployable squaddies could pop round for a nice cup of tea and a chat. :wink:

:lol::lol: Have you got a justgiving page :lol::lol:
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Vesterberg's touched a nerve. Asked a few tricky questions...
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    GiantMike wrote:
    jim453 wrote:
    Why do you disagree with the part about Hitler being a brave corporal? It appears to be one of the only statements here that is a matter of fact not opinion.

The OP was saying that not every soldier is a hero. Hitler was a very extreme example but it makes his point.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    'When you've shouted "Rule Britannia," when you've sung "God save the Queen,"
    When you've finished killing Kruger with your mouth,
    Will you kindly drop a shilling in my little tambourine For a gentleman in Khaki ordered South?"

Written a hundred years ago but still relevant today.

I do have a problem with the use of 'Heroes', probably something to do with Rudyard Kipling and 'We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too". The cause is beyond reproach but the tone grates on the ear.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    johnfinch wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:
    jim453 wrote:

The OP was saying that not every soldier is a hero. Hitler was a very extreme example but it makes his point.

I'll call Selly Oak later to see if they have an Adolf Hitler in the amputee ward. Thanks for the heads up Vestertroll, let's find those war criminals one at a time. I hope Gadaffi isn't getting life-changing help from a H4H, a registered charity set up to help injured armed forces members get their lives back in some semblance of order after harrowing experiences.

Nobody is saying everybody in the military is a hero. My objection is to the troll dragging H4H into the discussion. If his 'point' is that some soldiers aren't heroes, it's hardly a point is it?
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    The word hero is very subjective. To some people, Hitler probably was a hero (not to me, GiantMike, before you jump down my throat).

Help for Heroes is just like a brand name: It's memorable, catchy and rolls off the tongue well. And it's representative of how the people behind it feel about the people they are helping. If it was called something like: "Help for people who have been packed off to a war, shot at, blown up, just because they were following orders when they'd rather have been at home with their kids and are now left with life changing injuries there isn't sufficient contingency in place to cope with" it might be more accurate, but it'd be harder to promote.

Rob
  • Ber Nard
    I'm surprised this thread hasn't locked yet. Considering we're only on page two and the words "Hitler" and "bell end" are being banded about I'd have thought a mod would've been along.

Rob
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    He's too busy framing and polishing his degree certificate to care. Can't say I blame him. Mike, the 'Giant' part of your user name really isn't a reference to your intellect is it?
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Ber Nard is of course correct. HFH is merely a catchy name. It is a charity and you can donate if you wish, just like any other charity.
    FWIW, most of H M Forces are regular boys and girls, like you and I. When under pressure, some rise to the occasion and do extraordinary things. Some of these things involve being killed or serious injury. I personally have nothing but admiration for those deeds.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Ber Nard wrote:
    I'm surprised this thread hasn't locked yet. Considering we're only on page two and the words "Hitler" and "bell end" are being banded about I'd have thought a mod would've been along.

Rob

Wait 'til someone has a pop at Willhub, then the thread will be deleted.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    My favourite charity is Help For HairyHoles. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • GiantMike
    jim453 wrote:
    Can't say I blame him. Mike, the 'Giant' part of your user name really isn't a reference to your intellect is it?

You're right Jim. I can barely read or write. The reason I'm non-plussed about Verstertroll's thread is the way he's disrespecting a great charity. If he has a gripe with the Army, then that's OK. The Army is the Army. But linking that to the work of a great charity is massively disrespectful to the charity and those who have been helped by it.
    jim453 wrote:

Because it's irrelevant to the 'discussion'. When he tried to take over the World Hitler wasn't a Corporal, he was a Dictator, a man, a politician, a film fan, and he may even have ridden a bike. I fail to see what such categorisations add to a 'discussion' about H4H though.

Now I'm off to read the latest Beano. If the longer words aren't too difficult for me. :wink:
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    why is it a 'great charity'?

what makes it greater than other less great charities?

just asking like, dont get a weed on.
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Another question: A lot of people criticise Livestrong for having a for-profit trading arm, does the same criticism apply to the H4H trading arm?
  • GiantMike

1. There's a website you could visit to find out what it does.

2. I don't know, who said that it was?
  • fast as fupp
    i know what it does thanks, but thats not what i asked.

why is what hfh does greater than what other charities do?

is there a league table of charity greatness?
  • Ber Nard

Yes:

1st Your Favorite Charity
    2nd Every Other Charity

Rob
  • GiantMike
    i know what it does thanks, but thats not what i asked.

why is what hfh does greater than what other charities do?

What's your point? Who said there was a charity pecking order or that HFH does a greater job than other charities?

Do you have an issue with HFH?
    what makes HFH a great charity?

Because it provides help and support to injured people, often with life-changing injuries. It transorms their lives and allows them to recover better than they would without the help. Personally, I think it makes it a great charity.

Macmillan nurses provide counselling to cancer sufferers and their families in the final stages of life. It provides a service that would not be there otherwise. Personally, I think it makes it a great charity.

Which one's greater? What a stupid question, if you don't mind me saying.
  • fast as fupp
    I DONT BUT DO YOU HAVE AN ISSUE WITH ANYONE WHO HAS AN ISSUE WITH HFH?
  • Mayhemwmb
    Mayhemwmb Posts: 108

just asking like, dont get a weed on.

My OPINION & some facts that may help

1) Great Charity because;
    a) 98% efficient,as in 98p in every £1 goes to the good cause, I believe most others operate around the 60% efficiency, H4H can do this because the H4H trading company (sells clothing etc) pays for all of the wages and donates the rest of the profit across to the donations side of things.
    b) Non critical - the war in Iraq may have been unpopular & some would say illegal, that doesn't matter to the infantryman that's lost his legs - he just wants the help & support, H4H gives that direct and practical support.
    H4H gets the money in and then spends it directly where it's needed, before the new pool was built at Headley Court rehab centre, some of the amputees were taken by bus to the local swimming pool as part of their rehab - hardly ideal I would suggest.

They aren't competing with other services charities - they're working alongside these charities.

I've never been in the armed forces - I'm a cop, I have faced risky situations at work but can only imagine the difficulties these guys face - I've raised a fair bit of money for the charity - why???? Because I want to !!!

2) Wouldn't want try and answer this one - I choose to support H4H, I wear my Poppy with pride at rememberance and give to the Local Air Ambulance.
    That's the beauty of charity - you choose where you give