Valve hole on rims too small...

DanDax1990
DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
edited November 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys, The valve hole on my rims are too small to fit a schrader valve through.

The rims are Alex SX44's...

Would I be ok with drilling the hole big enough to fit schraders aslong as I smooth the edges where I've drilled?

Cheers for any info.

Comments

• DanDax1990
    Looks like its just the wall on the inside of the rim that's too small, It fits through the outside hole...
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    Use a presta tube?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    it can be done.. but it's not recomended.. it may weaken the rim..

Bolllocks, it'll be fine.
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    Looks like its just the wall on the inside of the rim that's too small, It fits through the outside hole...
    Is the rim strip offset? And are they designed to be used with schrader valves?

TBH, I wouldn't drill them, use presta valves.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    Hi guys, The valve hole on my rims are too small to fit a schrader valve through.

The rims are Alex SX44's...

Would I be ok with drilling the hole big enough to fit schraders aslong as I smooth the edges where I've drilled?

Cheers for any info.

Are you for real? You'd rather get the drill out then spend £4 on a new tube!? Bonkers.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Just get a small needle file and file the holes bigger. Jobs a gud un.
  • DanDax1990
    Not got a clue what you mean about the rim strip lol, I'm a Noob.

All I know is they're double walled and the outside wall is big enough but the inside isn't...

If there's a chance it'll weaken the rim then its a no no cause I'm a massive heffer as it is lol.

Only reason I wanna be able to use schraders is because it'd save me having to buy new prestas for new tyres... Got loads of spare schraders... Plus schraders are easier.
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    Just use the inner tube that fits. It is beyond me why somebody would unnecessarily want to have to modify a wheel just to fit a type of tube you already have in the house when tubes are cheap enough to buy anyway.

Right tools/equipment for the job and all that...... Schraders easier??? how so?
  • DanDax1990
    Been told that the little pin/nipple on prestas bend easily and if they do they're no good to use?
  • njee20
    It won't weaken the rim, you'll be absolutely fine. Done it dozens of times.

Saying that, presta tubes aren't a significant disadvantage either, they don't bend unless you're ham fisted. They don't fill with mud and it's easier to let air out of them.
  • ricardo_smooth
    njee20 wrote:
    they don't bend unless you're ham fisted. They don't fill with mud and it's easier to let air out of them.

What he said
  • DanDax1990
    Only asking if its ok to do because its a quick fix and can out my new tyres on sooner rather than later, I don't drive so can't get to lbs for the tubes I need today...

P.S I'm ham fisted lol, More like a sledge hammer lol
  • njee20
    Then yes, you can drill your rims out.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    8.5mm drill bit.

But if the hole would cut into the sides rather than he centre flat I would not do it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ricardo_smooth
    Go to the lbs before ou start changin things over? Btw you do know you don't change te tube over when fitting new tyres right? So u sure why you need new tubes?
  • DanDax1990
    I've got some Schwalbe City Jet's to fit, 26 x 1.95 and my current tyres are Maxxis High Rollers at 26 x 2.35 so was thinking the innertubes that're there for the Maxxis will be too big for my Schwalbes?

I've got some Schrader tubes at 1.5 - 2.2 for the City Jets and the only prestas I have ar 2.10 - 2.50 which are the ones I've got in now...

So need to change to smaller tubes?
  • DanDax1990
    And yeah nicklouse, I wasn't gonna if it was going to go into the side wall...
  • njee20
    The bigger inner tubes will be fine too, they'll fit.
  • ricardo_smooth
    i'd be trying them with the current tubes before spending anything tbh :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Go to the lbs before ou start changin things over? Btw you do know you don't change te tube over when fitting new tyres right? So u sure why you need new tubes?
    You start on the sauce early?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    i asked the same question a few months back its best to buy new tubes get a bit of swarf in there and thats a pain it aint worth it ebay 3 quid for a new tube job done
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • ricardo_smooth
    cooldad wrote:
    :lol: i'll try again with properly strung words eh!

Go to the lbs before you start changing things over? Btw you do know you don't change the tube over when fitting new tyres right? So you sure why you need new tubes?

That's my best English, rather than my yorkshire dialect!
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    I've got some Schwalbe City Jet's to fit, 26 x 1.95 and my current tyres are Maxxis High Rollers at 26 x 2.35 so was thinking the innertubes that're there for the Maxxis will be too big for my Schwalbes?

I've got some Schrader tubes at 1.5 - 2.2 for the City Jets and the only prestas I have ar 2.10 - 2.50 which are the ones I've got in now...

So need to change to smaller tubes?

Them ones should work ok tbf, and with them not being stretched as much could offer a bit more puncture resistance
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    An 8.5mm bit (bet you don't have one) will cost more than the right tube!

I have drilled out rims before, do it slowly or the bit can screw through making it hard to get a clean hole, deburr it afterwards, but for decent rims I'd just get be tubes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    cooldad wrote:
    :lol: i'll try again with properly strung words eh!

Go to the lbs before you start changing things over? Btw you do know you don't change the tube over when fitting new tyres right? So you sure why you need new tubes?

That's my best English, rather than my yorkshire dialect!
    Still makes no sense at all though! May need new tubes for valve hole size........
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ricardo_smooth
    If you read the whole threa it does ;-) he talks about changing the tubes because he is changing the tyres over and that he has spare schrader tubes in the house and doesn't want to go buy some presta as he would have to walk there as he has no other mode of transport.

If it doesn't make sense now (after you re-read the thread)....you're stooopid :lol:
  • The Rookie
    Did you also stoopidly miss the fact the new tyres are much thinner and that therefor the current tubes may be too big for them?
  • ricardo_smooth
    Did you also stoopidly miss the fact the new tyres are much thinner and that therefor the current tubes may be too big for them?
    No, but you stoopidly missed that the OP gave that information AFTER I had posted that original reply :wink: