Training advice for first 50 mile sportive please

broona
broona Posts: 414
Doing the 50 mile route on Hills of the North in September - http://www.hillsofthenorth.com/50_mile_route.php and would like some advice as to how to build up to it.

I currently do a 15 to 30 mile MTB ride every Sunday, and try to get out on the road bike at least twice a week to do a further 20 to 50 miles.

I've only been into cycling since October last year, and got my first road bike at the end of March, but my fitness has come on leaps and bounds in that time, and it's done wonders for my asthma.

We're off on holiday for a fortnight next weekend, so I'd like to start training in earnest throughout July and August, any hints and tips please? Cheers. :D

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Training?

Its a 50 mile bike ride, just ride your bike.
  • broona
    styxd wrote:
    Training?

Thanks for your 'informative' reply. :roll:

I've never ridden more than 30 miles before, I'm asthmatic, and very unfit, I was simply after some advice to help me complete the hardest ride I've ever undertaken, perhaps it sounds easy to you, but not to me.
  • Just ride your bike.

No special training required. Increase your ride distance by a few miles a week and you will be fine. Your desire to finish will get you home
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    broona wrote:
    styxd wrote:
    Training?

Thanks for your 'informative' reply. :roll:

I've never ridden more than 30 miles before, I'm asthmatic, and very unfit, I was simply after some advice to help me complete the hardest ride I've ever undertaken, perhaps it sounds easy to you, but not to me.
    Don't try to act like a precious unique snowflake and expect information that suits what you want to read. The simple answer is to ride more and ride further.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Assuming it's all on road, you'll find that riding a road bike for 50 miles is roughly the same as riding a MTB for 30.

Training: Gradually build up your distance to 45-50 miles on a road bike, and make sure it fits properly.

On the day: Make sure you have sufficient food/drink. Don't go too hard at the start; aim for a steady overall pace rather than smashing it at the start and flagging at the end. If you're unfit you may fall behind others on the hills. Don't worry about this and be aware of trying too hard to keep up and killing yourself later, especially if you have Asthma.

After: Let us know how you did.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I think what everyone is trying to say here, without the niceties, is that someone cycling as much as you should easily be able to do the distance - 50 miles is really not that hard. I did 50 miles in a day on my MTB last year on towpaths when I was only riding 10 miles a couple of times a month. It took me twice as long as it would if I did it today but I did it, with no ill effects.

I think you are doing more than enough to prepare for the distance, but what you may need to prepare for is the hills. I dont know if this is a hilly route and if you are training on hills right now, but it is not the distance you need to worry about. Long, steep, regular hills can take their toll if you have not trained for them - even over 30 miles. The only way to train for this is to find hilly routes and ride them - even if only for 20-30 mile stints.

The other thing that you should think about is whether your technique is spot on. 30 mile rides can be done without realising you have poor technique, whereas stepping up to 50 miles and/or hilly routes may highlight the problems with that technique.

I found that when training for distance and hills, and pushing up the hills hard to keep a good average, I could ache for a few days afterwards. When I looked at why, I found that I was pushing too hard in a high gear and by adjusting this to spinnning faster in a low gear I did not ache afterwards.

I also tweaked my seating position which has stopped the problems I was having with soreness in the tendons on my left knee after long hilly rides.

so in summary, you may not need to do much, but you do need to be sure your shorter distances arent hiding problems with technique or bike setup and you need to make sure you train for the terrain - these are more important than the distance in my opinion.

Hope that helps - good luck and if it goes well, look at the Asthma UK Beach to Beach or Loch to Loch rides for next year - as an Asthma sufferer you might like to help a cause that is likely close to your heart. I did the beach to beach this year and it was fantastic.
  • broona
    Cheers for most of the replies, ha ha! :P

I'm going to be doing the event to raise money for Asthma UK, so the only reason I'm asking for advice is so that I don't fail to complete it.

Typical that it should fall on the same weekend as the Loch to Loch ride, as that looks fantastic, will aim for that next year. :D

When it stops chucking it down, I'll go ride up some hills...

PS, 'precious unique snowflake', like it, lol!
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Assuming it's all on road, you'll find that riding a road bike for 50 miles is roughly the same as riding a MTB for 30.

+1 You'll do it no problem
  • alidaf
    alidaf Posts: 147
    You'll do it on the day, believe me. Motivation will keep you going. I'm up to 67miles now but when I started I was daunted at the prospect of 12miles. The last 10miles or so are still painful though, especially if its hilly. Keep it steady - pace is important and remember to refuel. I start taking some gels after 30miles - about 1 every hour. You'll find what works for you though but try some out on shorter rides because they can disagree with your tummy. Take your meds with you. If you start flagging towards the end, just lower the pace. Stop for a few minutes if you have to but keep moving - walk around a bit. It isn't a race, just a personal challenge.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Lol, some guys on here seem to forget the effort they've put in over the years to get where they are now.

Go off easy, finish fast. Cycle in a group on the day, it'll probably get you 10-20% further than cycling on your own. Do some interval training so that your legs don't empty after the first climb that makes your legs burn. Get used to putting some power down and recovering from it and you should be fine. If you're training for 8 weeks or so prior to it then go slightly further each week to get used to the distance.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread