First 25m TT

nickel
nickel Posts: 476
Hello,

I have my first ever 25 mile time trial on saturday, its my clubs open event and so far my time trialling experience comprises of riding 3 of my clubs evening 10s.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice to offer in terms of pacing etc? Unfortunately my riding has taken a bit of a backseat over the past couple of weeks due to exams and a knee injury, but went out for a ride yesterday and felt pretty strong so don't seem to have lost much fitness. Generally speaking my riding focuses around my club chaingang on a tuesday evening, 10m TT on thursday then a long hard ride at the weekends.

Two weeks ago I managed 24:53 on my club's evening 10 which I was extremely pleased with and I'd be really pleased if I could get 1 hr 10mins on saturday.

Any advice/tips would be appreciated!

Oh and i'll be riding the event on my Allez with some clip ons.

Thanks,
Nick

Comments

• mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    20 mph will give you a 1h15min so seems like a good place to start and wind it up second half if you can.
    Obviously dependant on wind direction, alignment of the course, and any lumps. adjust to suit.
    Tbh if you can do a long 24 you should get below 1h5min or thereabouts.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Go almost, but not quite, as hard as you do in a 10. Hope this helps.
  • nickel
    Thanks for the advice guys, thought id update this thread. Well I can certainly say that my first 25 was an experience. The course was a a fairly straightforward out and back along a stretch of duel carriageway...unfortunately today's b@stard wind meant I had a tailwind going out (which was all pretty much downhill) and then had to ride the uphill return leg into a hideous, demoralising headwind. But anyway I did 1hr 7 mins 42 seconds in the end which im really pleased with considering the conditions. I think I paced myself ok, managed to print the last quarter of a mile to the line.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Nickel wrote:
    unfortunately today's b@stard wind meant I had a tailwind going out (which was all pretty much downhill) and then had to ride the uphill return leg into a hideous, demoralising headwind.
    Isn't it so often the case? The wind is a test of a time triallist's mettle. Sounds like you passed, 1:07 is a fine time for someone who has only done three 10s, especially in those conditions. Well done.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Yeah, good effort
  • nickel
    Thanks guys, I think im starting to get hooked on this TTing thing, this can only be bad for my wallet....

Oh I forgot to say in my previously post, my bum hurt so much after about 40 mins I had to keep getting up out the saddle, I'd put my MTB saddle on my bike which has a bit more padding on the nose and I had it as far forward on the rails as it would go with the nose tilted down slightly, would a TT saddle offer a little more comfort?