Collar Bone and surgery

superkenners
superkenners Posts: 169
Hi,

I had a big off back in November, broke shoulder blade and collar bone and a few other 'bits', recovery been a bit slow to say the least and to make matters worse collar bone has not healed properly so now whole shoulder clicks when I move through the 90 degrees mark and generally aches a bit, annoying.

Docs now say best fix is surgery, wondering if anyone else has suffered a similar fate and decided to either put up with dodgy shoulder hoping body will eventually heal it or go under the knife, they have not given me a lot of guidance on what I can expect with a plate in and what happens next aside from the rather unhelpful disclaimer 'surgery is not without risks'.

Cheers, Nick
Allez
Brompton
Krypton
T-130

Never tell her how much it costs ......

Comments

• d87heaven
    d87heaven Posts: 348
    What do you mean by 'collar bone hasn't healed properly'....malunion? Clavicles heal pretty well normally (providing the NHS don't cock it up) although many require a pin ,usual is 8/12 weeks.
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • superkenners
    yep, malunion, there is still a gap on the x-ray, there is some bone but a much lower density and has not change for last 3 months. They touted surgery when I did it but 'decided' it was worth seeing what happened, sling and a boat load of painkillers being the cheaper option.
    Allez
    Brompton
    Krypton
    T-130

• mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Possibly surgery on my last break would have been a good option but like you was told " lets give it time" for my it has worked out ok - Surgery would have involved a bone graft from hip and then a metal plate, that would have been a permanant fixture - and no garantee that it would have worked.

Have a gander at this
    http://www.shoulderdoc.co.uk/article.asp?article=636
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    I have had several breaks in my right collar bone and while I was still riding was reluctant to have a plate fitted. Because another break could be very messy. Now I have a two part collar bone and the width of my shoulder has shortened. When I asked the Doc about it he said it will be okay. Good luck with yours :D
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • superkenners
    Maybe I will just wait til I crash again and then get it pinned!
    Allez
    Brompton
    Krypton
    T-130