Le terrier, oh my God.

2»

Comments

• bikergirl17
    bikergirl17 Posts: 344
    well ugo, you and i are in the minority here.

off to swap out my gearing for that 1:4 climb :)
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Agree there's room for both. I take Ugo's point about steep climbs even if I don't agree with his choice of words about this event losing credibility because of them.

Personally I like climbing but I don't really enjoy the 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 slogs where the aim is simply to keep the pedals turning - I've done the Fred Whitton a couple of times and for me Hardknott atually spoils the ride - it's just too extreme. On an alpine style climb you can get into a rhythm, feel you are going well and actually enjoy the climb - whereas some of the steep stuff in the UK the enjoyment is more just a sense of relief when you reach the top.

Are there many popular UK sportives which don't make a feature super steep climbs ? I can think of the Autumn Epic - it has some steep gradients but only one relatively short one where you are really trying to keep the pedals turning. Many others that attract a decent entry ?

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    Agree there's room for both. I take Ugo's point about steep climbs even if I don't agree with his choice of words about this event losing credibility because of them.

Personally I like climbing but I don't really enjoy the 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 slogs where the aim is simply to keep the pedals turning - I've done the Fred Whitton a couple of times and for me Hardknott atually spoils the ride - it's just too extreme. On an alpine style climb you can get into a rhythm, feel you are going well and actually enjoy the climb - whereas some of the steep stuff in the UK the enjoyment is more just a sense of relief when you reach the top.

Are there many popular UK sportives which don't make a feature super steep climbs ? I can think of the Autumn Epic - it has some steep gradients but only one relatively short one where you are really trying to keep the pedals turning. Many others that attract a decent entry ?

I'm with you on this... if you like climbing, you will enjoy moderate gradients, where you can decide to change pace and tackle it harder... these 1 in 4 are all about surviving to the top.

It seems that every UK sportive these days is trying to feature some stupidly steep road just for the sake of it... In Italy I can't think of a single granfondo that goes up the Monte Zoncolan, or punta Veleno or Malga Palazzo... that would put people off entering it... here it seems to work as a turn on...
    I wonder why some stunning climbs in the UK are barely used... The Gospel Pass is simply stunning and with 450 metres altitude difference challenging enough without featuring 1 in 4 gradients... any sportive up there? Haven't heard of any...
    left the forum March 2023
  • plumpy
    plumpy Posts: 124
    We had planned to do the Long course but did the Mid because of the weather. 9C and lashing rain in JUNE...it just feels worse, somehow.

I didn't know the area and thought it was lovely, will try again next year. The traffic was exceptionally light. We had expected it to be hilly, so didn't find the climbs too distressing.
  • ugo.santalucia
    If this was in the UK, surely it would be featured in some hard man event... :lol:

http://italiancyclingjournal.blogspot.c ... -from.html
  • Edward H
    Edward H Posts: 38
    Shame on the people that criticise this event. This is possibly one of the finest routes that I have ridden in some of Englands finest countryside. The roads are exceptionally quiet and empty, there is not a single A road or traffic lights in 104 miles ( how many British sportives can say that, I am struggling to find another!). The route is incredibly well planned, in an anti clockwise direction(safer, you don't have to cross traffic coming towards you), becoming gradually harder, the closer that you get to the finish. It is run by a local cycling club, that know every mile.
    So, please stop moaning about it if you haven't ridden it. I can't find one single detractor that has ridden it, rather the opposite, anyone that has completed this ride is left with a feeling of glowing pride and satisfaction.
    There are all the poncy, glossy,badly designed, badly run, rip off money making sportives that the detractors can go and ride.
    Give your opinions once you have ridden it! :(
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537

I'm with you on this... if you like climbing, you will enjoy moderate gradients, where you can decide to change pace and tackle it harder... these 1 in 4 are all about surviving to the top.

It seems that every UK sportive these days is trying to feature some stupidly steep road just for the sake of it... In Italy I can't think of a single granfondo that goes up the Monte Zoncolan, or punta Veleno or Malga Palazzo... that would put people off entering it... here it seems to work as a turn on...
    I wonder why some stunning climbs in the UK are barely used... The Gospel Pass is simply stunning and with 450 metres altitude difference challenging enough without featuring 1 in 4 gradients... any sportive up there? Haven't heard of any...

Sorry, but the above is a load of old toss.

I love climbing at all gradients. I'm not great at the longer, drag type of climbs but I can shine on the 20%+ climbs. Why shouldn't there be Sportives that cater to my preferred type of climb?

I remember you whinging about the weather conditions at last year's Hell of the Ashdown Sportive. It seems that if the conditions or route profile don't suit you, then the event shouldn't be run. Why not just enter the events you enjoy and leave me & others to enjoy these events?

Stop making sweeping statements that if you "like climbing" then you only like moderate gradients. It's clearly bollox as others have stated their enjoyment of steeper gradients.
  • bam49
    bam49 Posts: 159
    i hope you are joking about the gearing comment.

ultimately this all comes down to what you consider a challenge and we could debate it endlessly. and i would never sign up for the fred whitton as i know i would be walking half of it. the dartmoor classic route, on the other hand, was absolutely awesome.
    One tip bikergirl17 - if you like the Dartmoor Classic ( great event, looking forward to my 5 th go at it soon ), don't be tempted by the Tour Of Dartmoor - it starts a lot harder.. First 10 miles are a killer from Ashburton, then climb to Buckland on the Moor..
    As for Le Terrier - , no traffic lights, hardly any cars, tough hills - what's not to like ? :) .. sounds good to me and I would like to give it a go next year...
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    I come from the Italian alps.
    No, the Marmotte is a valid course, but there are no 1 in 3 gradients there... I am commmenting about the pointless search for the steepest road in Britain, which is what they seem to do.

I suppose it's pointless in the same way that finding the hardest face of Everest or [insert name of mountain] is pointless because there's an easier route to the top.

Stick to your easy Alpine slopes, give me a Fred type challenge any day. I'm guessing you're too manly to ever consider a triple chainset for proper hills. Tee hee! :wink:
  • ugo.santalucia
    I come from the Italian alps.
    No, the Marmotte is a valid course, but there are no 1 in 3 gradients there... I am commmenting about the pointless search for the steepest road in Britain, which is what they seem to do.

I suppose it's pointless in the same way that finding the hardest face of Everest or [insert name of mountain] is pointless because there's an easier route to the top.

Stick to your easy Alpine slopes, give me a Fred type challenge any day. I'm guessing you're too manly to ever consider a triple chainset for proper hills. Tee hee! :wink:

Still, I hope one day to climb Bealach Ba na... for the views, more than the challenge
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Ugo the Bealach is the most dramatic road in Britain - not the hardest but cannot be bettered in terms of granduer. Its comparable to any scenic climb abroad that I have done. I know you have done the Gavia and the Bealach in its own lonesome way come close to that in terms of beauty. I have just done it two weeks ago in the best weather ever(I have done in some foul conditions) and was my best weekend cyling ever in Britain. Even though I live in Scotland it takes me 5 hours in a car to get there but its worth the effort and the drive is pretty special to get there also.
    Brian B.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941

Agree with that. I did the Granfondo Giordana last year and whilst I got satisfaction from having scaled the Mortirolo, the Gavia was a much nicer climb to ride. Not much fun to be had in grinding up a super steep hill. For me the best sportive I've done was the Maratona, and there was nothing approaching 25% on that.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184

Tour of the Black Mountains---Gospel Pass from llanthony :) ; but then also includes Devils Elbow (or similar name) at 1:5 over to Ystradfellte......
  • RollerNo8
    RollerNo8 Posts: 1
    Going up hill was the easy bit! One of our number came to grief descending Birdy Brow. On initially viewing the route, going down the "Bird" was a rare treat indeed. However, as Ted got to the foot of Kemple End at terminal velocity and realised he was unable to negotiate the left-hander onto Birdy Brow it all went Pete Tong. He took off over a grass verge and ploughed straight into a banking. After a quick enquiry as to his welfare, attention turned to his mount, a nice Basso Astra. Sadly the bike didn't pull through, a nasty compound fracture to both the top and down tubes near the head tube brought its day out to a premature end. The three remaining members of the group seriously considered sacking the day there and then, at least we would have a decent excuse. But no, daft as we are we continued....Magic! Agree with all the previous correspondents, what I particularly enjoyed were the gates at the foot of Roeburndale, specifically designed to kill any momentum you may have leading into the hill.
    Good ride, rubbish weather, could have murdered a brew at the Slaidburn feed station. Will have another crack next year.