Chamois Cream

jefflad
jefflad Posts: 315
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
I'm coming to the end of my pot of Assos Chamois Cream and was wondering what other creams you lot use. The cost is quite expensive at £15ish but is very good, I've toyed with the idea of using Vaseline but can't get away with it.

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    £12 delivered from CRC http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=31861&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom

If you get on with it then i really wouldnt change to try and save a couple of pounds
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Some people recommend Sudocrem.

I prefer cocoa body butter from Superdrug. It's really thick and does the job well.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • jefflad
    jefflad Posts: 315
    £12 delivered from CRC http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=31861&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom

If you get on with it then i really wouldnt change to try and save a couple of pounds

Yeah I saw that but I suppose I'm just looking for some alternatives like the one below.
    Herbsman wrote:
    Some people recommend Sudocrem.

I prefer cocoa body butter from Superdrug. It's really thick and does the job well.

For the price of this it's worth a try and if no good my wife can make use of it :wink:
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    If you have something that works then why change it?

Saddle sores are bloody painful and can take months to eleviate. Why create a problem that doesn't exist?
  • thegodplato
    thegodplato Posts: 319
    I use Udderley Smooth. Seems OK and at just over £6 from Amazon for a larger tub than Assos
    2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
    www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Yeah, I like the Udderly Smooth too - I had Assos before but find the US is a bit more neutral and just as good for reducing friction.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    This former dairy farmer has drawn a close comparison between dairy udder cream and chamois cream :lol::D

Sorry but bikeradar forums are screwing up the direct web link whichever way I try, so this google search link will have to do: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=countr ... dder+cream . Still, I promise you, Udderly Smooth chamois cream feels exactly the same as dairy farm udder cream ;)
  • houndlegs
    houndlegs Posts: 267
    When you wash you're shorts after using this stuff,do they stay "greasy" or does it wash out,or doesn't it matter cos you are just going to re-apply it anyway?
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    The ones I've used wash right out - I'm sure they're designed that way.

I've never liked sudocreme for that reason - it's much stickier and I don't think it would be comfortable or good for my shorts.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • _andy
    _andy Posts: 22
    I did john o groats to lands end ride using sudo cream everday, worked ok for me and washed out of shorts fine :)
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    I've been using sudocreme for yonks and always seems to wash out ok
  • TommyB61
    TommyB61 Posts: 103
    I use Paceline Chamois Butt'r Eurostyle...works well & washes out easily.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Assos FTW.

I personally think it's infinitely better than sudocreme. It also lasted me a good two years, so £15 for a pot wasn't all that much for me.
  • BillyMansell
    This former dairy farmer has drawn a close comparison between dairy udder cream and chamois cream :lol::D

Sorry but bikeradar forums are screwing up the direct web link whichever way I try, so this google search link will have to do: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=countr ... dder+cream . Still, I promise you, Udderly Smooth chamois cream feels exactly the same as dairy farm udder cream ;)
    Don't be surprised, Udderly Smooth was borne of a cream for soothing udders, hence the name.
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    Assos is well worth the small extra cost IMHO.

Not sure where you are in the country, but Dooleys Cycles in Paisley sells it for £10 a tub. :D
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    TommyB61 wrote:
    I use Paceline Chamois Butt'r Eurostyle...works well & washes out easily.
    I find this too heavy, actually causing me problems. I don't think my skin can "breathe" with it.

Udderly Smooth is very good, but I find that I use more of it than other brands.

Assos is dependably good, and i keep coming back to it, keeping an eye out for special offers, e.g. 2 tubs for £20 from SigmaSport.

I only use Sudocream to treat if I have a problem.
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    If you guys are using Sudocreme, it might be worth considering Bepanthen. I've only ever used it for the healing of tattoos, but it apparently lets the skin underneath breath much better than others of the same variety.
  • BillyMansell
    I realise that in my numerous posts I haven't asserted my preference.

Having tried petroleum jelly, Sudocreme, Butt'r, Udderly Smooth and Assos among others, my choice is Assos. A tub will last an age and having had saddle sores I know prevention is not worth skimping upon. I tend to use it in combination with Assos F1 Uno bibs but found it helpful with lesser shorts as well.
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    I use AJAX. I'm well 'ard, me.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    i use Assos pre ride and a bit of Sudocreme post ride after a shower, i seem to chaff a bit always on the right side. I also like the tingle from the Assos.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I like the assos stuff -> but I've only started using it recently so don't really know.

My only concern is developing sensitivity/other problems from long term use? I suppose this applies to most of the products? not just assos
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I always used to use the Assos stuff and didn't really have any complaints. But, I got given a couple of sachets of the Rapha one at the sample sale (yes, posey, I know), and that stuff's amazing. It also smells gorgeous...
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    p9uma wrote:

MTFU and try some Valve Grinding Paste out of the garage Mr P9uma :P
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    p9uma wrote:

I didn't know you could use that in shorts, I've bee using that as face moisturiser.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    I wouldn't use sudocreme as a lubricant - it doesn't have the right consistency at all.

I have chamois butt'r euro style (menthol and witchhazel) and it is really cooling and comfortable during a ride. Again I am guessing most products are about as good as each other and there isn't much price difference. Go for the real stuff again as it has been designed for purpose and is not a huge expense.
  • ste_
    ste_ Posts: 124
    What is this stuff and what's its purpose? I'm guessing you rub it on your knackers before putting your shorts on. Why though?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    ste_ wrote:
    What is this stuff and what's its purpose? I'm guessing you rub it on your knackers before putting your shorts on. Why though?

Its a lubricant with antibacterial properties.

Apply it to the pad, and if necessary a small amount to any areas that chafe.

Keeps your skin nice and healthy.
  • ste_
    ste_ Posts: 124
    I see. My spuds don't seem to rub so I'll continue to do nothing.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    ste_ wrote:
    I see. My spuds don't seem to rub so I'll continue to do nothing.

Thats alright then.
    If or when you start to do multi day events or 2 intense rides a week interspersed by training/turbo work, you'll get to understand the value of the product.
    Even good quality bibs and inserts need the added chamois cream, well for me they do...(oh it is not really the nuts that get the treatment to be precise)
    prevention is definitely better than the cure!!
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    p9uma wrote:

You Wendy !!! I use coal (it's carbon, so also super light weight :lol: )

Actually, I use Assos and think it's really good. Just don't get it on your 'piece' you'll know about it !!
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved