Piles, Roids and pain! Ouch...

ck101
ck101 Posts: 222
Hi all,

Considered an alias for this one, just checking others experiences.

After a series of long bike rides combined with a few nights drinking like a sailor while not looking after myself with my usual routine of fluids, high fibre diet and moderate consumption of alcohol I had an extremely painful bowel movement. Man this was sore, the whole lot, beads of sweat on the brow and extreme pain, I pulled off a few sheets of paper fearing what I was about to encounter. My fears were confirmed, an angry cluster of Roids had appeared, all set to dog my new found fitness.

One in particular resembles a dark Red golf ball.

I feel my saddle was in the wrong position and too far forward meaning sitting back was pushing my rear over the back of the saddle, to compensate I was sitting too far forward.

I haven't stopped training and keep up my usual routine of a 2 hr and 2 x 80min spins a week despite the discomfort and pain. The Roids however are as angry as ever despite a meticulous diet, impeccable hygiene and the usual over the counter meds which has worked for me in the past.

Are these going to go away or will I need to curtail my training?

Comments

• BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    Ck101 wrote:
    After a series of long bike rides while not looking after myself with my usual routine of fluids, high fibre diet and moderate consumption of alcohol I have developed a nasty cluster of angry Roids. Ouch. One in particular resembles a golf ball.
    As they say here often, without pictures how do we know you own this golf ball sized orb?

If it's as big as you suggest then contact Guinness World Records, it could be the greatest award the UK achieves this year. Alternatively, if after self-medication and REST it persists, contact your GP surgery. It will heal but give it a chance.
  • ukmkh
    ukmkh Posts: 21
    Go see a doctor. Best advice I can give. U don't want it to end up with an operation (which it most likely could lead too).
  • alex1rob
    alex1rob Posts: 95
    Eat some fibre dude
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    See a doctor if it hasn't got better after 2 weeks of self medication?
  • Having suffered myself in the past, though not to the extent that you are describing, I would offer the experience that over-the-counter remedies are fit only for throwing away. Dunno what your doctor's is like, but mine is one of those "special" ones where you have to predict your ailments 7 days in advance to get an appointment. I phoned up when I could literally take no more, and was phoned back by the "telephone" doctor. I described my predicament and based on what I said, he sorted me a prescription over the phone, delivered to the local chemist. Scheriproct, I believe the stuff was called, and it worked like a charm. Most of the discomfort was gone in less than a day, and I was completely back to normal inside a week.

"Bottom" line (sorry!) is that you should get a prescription for some decent stuff... Call your doctor.
    Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well our surgery used to have a doctor who took a particular professional interest in bottoms. I succumbed to Dr Slowe's rectal clinic after a few bouts of rectal bleeding. I was keen to confirm that it was just piles and nothing more sinister.
    You're arranged on the couch curled up in the foetal position, generously lubed up, and then some kind of gadget is inserted. Next you're inflated so they can have a good look around. If anything needs tidying up they can whip it off using some kind of Dan Dare cauterising gun.

My problem was down to a few internal piles which were removed there and then. All surprisingly painless
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    I think congratulations are in order for that, keef66
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Certainly good value for money; I managed to lose a few grams without having to buy anything titanium!
  • ck101
    ck101 Posts: 222
    Just as an update I have continued riding through this, albeit increasing to medically unseen levels my intake of fibre, fruits and fluids.

I did find some of prescription steroid based Creme in the medicine box and being somewhat of an amuteur physcian i decided to self medicate. I smeared liberally this substance daily for a few weeks and things were still as bad as ever. The bowl was filled will blood after every movement for a week. I could only tolerate this for four days or so. Fearing a fissure or god forbid a tumour it was high time to visit the doctor.

Luckily my doctor is a South African gent with many years experience in the depths of the country with little access to decent medical facilities. He is also a dab hand with a scalpel or so he told me. So one afternoon last week I found myself doggy style on the bench in the surgery as he went to work on the beggars with the knife. My dignity had found a new level and my male phsyche will never be what it once was. He then cauterised the open wounds and sent me on my way. It remains to be seen if this is a success.

Needless to say the biking (& drinking) is on hold for the foreseeable future!