You are what you eat?

RonB
RonB Posts: 3,984
edited June 2012 in The bottom bracket
I have watched the Great British Menu and been introduced to this ...

http://www.iceland.co.uk/greggs

Why do people buy this stuff? Why do people think that cooking food from scratch is such hard work? Why are we so obsessed with buying ready meals, which take 10 mins to cook?

It's giving up and having zero control over what you are eating.

Comments

• Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    I have to admit cooking is one of my least favourite things in the world. There's not a household chore I would like to do less than cook. That said, my interest in healthy eating is sufficient that I do cook fresh food myself. I guess there's a lot of people who either hate cooking as much as I do or are busy enough that they feel time spent cooking is wasted, who don't have quite as much interest in a healthy diet for whom ready meals are ideal.
  • esspeebee
    esspeebee Posts: 174
    Some people are exceedingly lazy and have underdeveloped taste buds. Either that, or they were brought up on crap and don't know that anything better exists.

They also haven't discovered the fun in cooking yet. It's a dangerous hobby, though; I've probably spent as much on kitchen equipment and cookbooks as I have on bikes in the last year or so, and both numbers would be considered ludicrous by the uninitiated.
  • willhub
    willhub Posts: 821
    Tomato and bacon pasta bake for me tonight.
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    esspeebee wrote:
    They also haven't discovered the fun in cooking yet. It's a dangerous hobby, though; I've probably spent as much on kitchen equipment and cookbooks as I have on bikes in the last year or so, and both numbers would be considered ludicrous by the uninitiated.
    I am not sure how you would manage to spend as much on cooking equipment...are you buying gold plated pans or something?
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    esspeebee wrote:
    Some people are exceedingly lazy and have underdeveloped taste buds. Either that, or they were brought up on crap and don't know that anything better exists.

In that case you are clearly not spending enough on bikes.
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    that's bonkers, no need to buy that rubbish around here, there's a Greggs on every street corner so you can get the fresh stuff
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    wiffachip wrote:
    that's bonkers, no need to buy that rubbish around here, there's a Greggs on every street corner so you can get the fresh stuff

And therein lies the problem as to why the country is getting progressively fatter! :shock:
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    I really envy people that can cook. People that can seemingly combine totally random ingredients and produce oustanding meals.

Everything I ever cook is whilst being nuitricious is boring, bland and invariably tastes of brown sauce. :(

I'm very good at breakfast museli,fruit and toast though. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • esspeebee
    pedylan wrote:
    In that case you are clearly not spending enough on bikes.
    The thought had crossed my mind. Since the good road bike last spring, I'm at about 700 quid on each. Extend it a few months more and bikes win comfortably, though.
  • esspeebee
    Everything I ever cook is whilst being nuitricious is boring, bland and invariably tastes of brown sauce. :(
    Have you tried not putting brown sauce on everything?
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    I am an ice cream.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    nathancom wrote:
    esspeebee wrote:
    I am not sure how you would manage to spend as much on cooking equipment...are you buying gold plated pans or something?

It's not that difficult really, a decent set of knives will be around £300, decent cast-iron griddle, quality pans, casserole dishes etc not forgetting appliances for 1 purpose like a waffle iron...will all add up if you really love your food.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    esspeebee wrote:
    Have you tried not putting brown sauce on everything?

If I've cooked it, it's generally tastes crap, the brown sauce merely disguises that fact. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    I can cook most things but I always end up disappointed by my attempts at Indian. Even the stuff from the supermarket tastes better. :(
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    there was a huge queue outside Iceland in Gateshead yesterday, with security, one out, one in

now I know why
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    +1 vote for fatty food tax :lol:
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    ...will all add up if you really love your food.
    rather, if you love your Gear. Beautiful, complicated cooking is possible with very little. The pleasure of feeding each other imaginatively is as old as society... It needn't be cast as a "hobby" nor does it need a blokeish obsession with equipment..!
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    nweststeyn wrote:
    I am an ice cream.

Not too much now!

187e4914-5609-4da5-b377-f790403b62dd_thumb.jpeg
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    edited June 2012
    No, you aren't what you eat. You are what you don't sh*t.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Herbsman
    Rigged wrote:
    I have to admit cooking is one of my least favourite things in the world. There's not a household chore I would like to do less than cook. That said, my interest in healthy eating is sufficient that I do cook fresh food myself. I guess there's a lot of people who either hate cooking as much as I do or are busy enough that they feel time spent cooking is wasted, who don't have quite as much interest in a healthy diet for whom ready meals are ideal.

I almost feel the same way. I love fresh veg, brown rice, fish, lentils, steak etc. and inevitably this kind of food takes time to prepare if you're going to make anything other than the most basic meal. And afterwards, you have washing up to deal with. Now, it's not difficult at all. It's just that it takes up time that I could be spending riding my bike, reading a book, listening to the Velocast, watching the Tour Series, or masturbating.

If you spend 8 hours asleep, 9 hours at work and two hours commuting, plus two hours to cook, eat then wash up that only leaves three hours per day for riding and relaxing. If you have children, or your commute is longer, or have other interests or commitments, it's difficult to fit it all in. It's easy to see why fast food is attractive.
    balthazar wrote:
    ...will all add up if you really love your food.
    rather, if you love your Gear. Beautiful, complicated cooking is possible with very little. The pleasure of feeding each other imaginatively is as old as society... It needn't be cast as a "hobby" nor does it need a blokeish obsession with equipment..!

So true...
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    If you spend 8 hours asleep, 9 hours at work and two hours commuting, plus two hours to cook, eat then wash up that only leaves three hours per day for riding and relaxing.

...and 4 hours in front of the TV... :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    team47b wrote:
    If you spend 8 hours asleep, 9 hours at work and two hours commuting, plus two hours to cook, eat then wash up that only leaves three hours per day for riding and relaxing.

...and 4 hours in front of the TV... :D
    eating :!:
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    The Nations workforce are being told that they have to subscribe more towards their pensions and expect to receive them later in life, why because we are living longer :?
    However will this reverse when the nation’s latest growing crop of obese fatties start dropping dead prematurely :?:
    The new pensioners of today who a causing this dreadful problem of living longer were brought up during and shortly after the 2nd World War when rations were in place and therefore got used to eating portion sizes a whole lot smaller than we have imported from the USA. That's why they are living longer purely because they by in large were not over eating and developing into 'Human Bungalows' but it won't be long before the longevity issue takes a whole different turn of events.
    Oh! And I still have my ration book
    :wink:
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    you are what you eat? Is that true, cos i'm a d1ck. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,098
    I can honestly say that I have never eaten a TV dinner in my life. I cook everything from scratch. Mealtimes involve cooking and eating together and watching little 'un explore food (even if some of it ends up on the wall). On the continent, people take time to cook and time to sit down and eat. Everybody gets involved.
    I really think that we as a nation are in so much of a hurry (going absolutely friggin no-where fast), that food takes a back seat, sad really. I don't spend hours cooking and I sympathise with anyone who uses up 2 hours a day commuting.
    I'll cook a huge Chile or Bolognese or curry and portion it up and put it in the freezer. I cook loads of pasta dishes and these are quick and easy - add a side salad, bottle of wine, fresh bread and hey presto, no hard chore.
    Cleat - you're leading the caption comp. You must be a clever Dick then. lol
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Herbsman
    2hrs a day is really not a massive amount... it takes me 20-40mins to cycle to work depending on traffic, number of red lights encountered, whether i raced the previous evening etc.. and I only live 5 miles away!
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964

Well i'm a c*nt.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Mon-Thurs I'm away from home so I cook for me and me alone (unless Charlotte Church pops round with her disgusting sex habits). After training I usually cook stir-fried chicken breast, sliced, with some veg and noodles, add some peppers for some extra heat. This takes about 15 minutes, plus 5 to eat it and 10 to wash up. Then I go to work on Charlotte.

Cooking is easy and cheap. Just like Charlotte.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    sturmey wrote:

Well i'm a c*nt.

Yes, but what do you eat?
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    one of the worse crimes must be philadelphia chocolate cheese - i mean wtf. :x
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.