Where on your commute has the most lemming pedestrians?

PBo
PBo Posts: 2,493
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
I'll go first:

Green lanes - whole stretch from Finsbury Park to north of Wood Green. Fairly narrow, busy, loads of buses, constant stop start due to lights/ped crossings - and a never ending flow of peds just popping off the kerb!!

Teaches you how/when to filter safely...!

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Outside Cannon St station.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    What's a pedestrian?

I suppose the deer can be a bit hairy at times, particularly in winter when they run alongside you in the dark...
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Tooting High Street nuff said
    FCN = 4
  • Tricycleboy
    Tricycleboy Posts: 373
    bompington wrote:
    What's a pedestrian?

I suppose the deer can be a bit hairy at times, particularly in winter when they run alongside you in the dark...

I hate you.

Blackfriars station for me. Some fuckwit saw fit to remove a pedestrian crossing where there is a clear and obvious need for a pedestrian crossing. I have developed a loud hands free mouth whistle to warn of my impending approachg as no one seems to feel the need to look at anything except there iphone when stepping out into the 4 lane road.
  • Extralight
    Extralight Posts: 136
    Southall Broadway (aka Uxbridge Road A4020): random, erratic, mental and dangerous behaviour from peds and drivers alike! :shock:
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    On the commute, Bushy Park I guess, normally of the deer kind. But I'm mostly though at times others are tucked up in bed!

It is more common in central london, the touristy bits more so.
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    Tower Hill / Minories junction.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaa.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    MTB-Idle wrote:

This.

Or King William Street (London Bridge - Bank)
    exercise.png
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    PBo wrote:
    I'll go first:

Green lanes - whole stretch from Finsbury Park to north of Wood Green. Fairly narrow, busy, loads of buses, constant stop start due to lights/ped crossings - and a never ending flow of peds just popping off the kerb!!

Teaches you how/when to filter safely...!

I used to cycle along there - wouldn't you be better going along wightman road?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Bridgewater Place. Landmark office block that attracts the sort of company that fancies itself and employs idiots. One pedestrian that ran straight into me and I don't go that way anymore.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    bompington wrote:
    What's a pedestrian?

Dunno....

20120306_070252.jpg

Are they something we should be aware of?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Outside London Bridge Station heading towards the bridge, in fact all the way along that road and trafalgar sq, tourist muppets...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    In front of Kingston station, on the cycle path waiting at the lights. I'm on a bicycle, on a cycle path waiting for the crossing. Pedestrians walk in front of me and stand there. There is a little bit of wall seperating the cycle path from the huge area of crossing for pedestrians, they are going to have to wait for the lights anyway why can't they make the extra few steps in that time.
    Then when the lights change they all set off in random directions.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    bompington wrote:
    What's a pedestrian?

Dunno....

20120306_070252.jpg

Not really. I saw one once but he was in a field with a dog and some sheep. I really don't see what the fuss is about.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    CiB wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    What's a pedestrian?

Dunno....

20120306_070252.jpg

Not really. I saw one once but he was in a field with a dog and some sheep. I really don't see what the fuss is about.
    Deer%20vs%20Durango2.jpg
    You might not get it now but one day it'll suddenly hit you...
  • whitebait01
    whitebait01 Posts: 610
    MTB-Idle wrote:

Yep, absolutely no sense of self preservation whatsoever. Shite drivers along that stretch too!
    Ribble Audax - FCN 5
    Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Turning left off Bridge St onto Viccy Embankment, quite a sharp corner and lots of peds don't bother looking. Either that or Narrow St with all the fair weather joggers running out into or crossing the road without looking.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    edited June 2012
    +1 Parliament square. If its not idiots crossing on a red at Westminster bridge, its those who stand in the road (on the racing line may I add) turning left at the PS lights :roll: .

Edit: Also the tourists stepping off the foreign buses on Victoria embankment not realising there is a Strava sprint going on. Careless.
  • Without fail, Covent Garden. Roads are pedestrianised there it would seem...
    Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Oxford Street. Usually it's avoidable but when it isn't it's a nightmare... Lots of tourists (why do they all head there???), absent-minded locals and crowded footpaths encouraging pedestrians to walk on the road. A perfect storm!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    jamesco wrote:
    Oxford Street. Usually it's avoidable but when it isn't it's a nightmare... Lots of tourists (why do they all head there???), absent-minded locals and crowded footpaths encouraging pedestrians to walk on the road. A perfect storm!

+1 to Oxford street. Its effectively pedestrianised. When they aren't blindly crossing roads they're spilling off the pavement.

Parliament Square is pretty bad for people trying to cross on a red man too.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Definitely outside Canon Street station. Oxford Street too but it's not really on my commute. I was whizzing along Canon St the other night, cautiously, awaiting the usual lemming to step out. Lo and behold some guy did just that, I yelled "watch out, coming through"! He jumped and stopped in time and some other ped on the pavement called me a c*nt! Why am I the c*nt? This idiot was wandering across a busy road not looking where he was going... He was lucky I wasn't on a motorbike or something....

Another place on my commute peds become lemmings is the crossing from London Bridge towards the station, across the top of Tooley St. I turn left from London Bridge into Tooley St on the way home and you can guarantee that peds will always be looking down the hill towards traffic coming towards them on the other side of the road, for some reason they never, ever seem to look out for traffic turning
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Definitely outside Canon Street station. Oxford Street too but it's not really on my commute. I was whizzing along Canon St the other night, cautiously, awaiting the usual lemming to step out. Lo and behold some guy did just that, I yelled "watch out, coming through"! He jumped and stopped in time and some other ped on the pavement called me a c*nt! Why am I the c*nt? This idiot was wandering across a busy road not looking where he was going...

If I heard a cyclist yell 'coming through' I'd assume he was on the pavement.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    CS3 along Cable St is also pretty awful, particularly outside Shadwell station and the newsagents. Combination of peds and idiot drivers turning across the cycle lane has resulted in me taking the HGV-infested dual-carriageway Highway instead as I actually think it's safer.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    London Bridge, going south turning left into Tooley St. Lemmings x 1000.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Yep, Cannon Street. In fact the whole area near bank. Some of our brightest minds work in that area we're told.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    He jumped and stopped in time and some other ped on the pavement called me a c*nt!
    At the aforementioned Minories/Tower Hill lights last night I had something similar. Green for traffic, red man for peds. I come round the corner from Tower Hill heading up Minories going north. Low and behold there are 5 or 6 peds crossing.

"OI!, watch oouuuuuuuuut!"....most of them speed up or stop in the road to let me pass, except for one lady who decides to shout in a high pitch scream as I miss her by a foot or so. "Exxxxxxcuuuuuse Me! Dickhead!"

"Redddddd Maaaaaan, Dickhead!" was the wittiest reply I could think of.
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Church Street in Brum.

Downhill, one way, cars parked both sides. I've long been convinced that if I'm ever in an accident on the bike that's where it'll happen. Suffers horribly from peds of the "I can't hear an engine therefore there must be nothing coming and I won't bother to look" type. Swung wide around a woman doing just that the other day (plenty of space, they'd just started crossing but hadn't looked to see if anything was coming, this wasn't a high-speed missed-by-centimetres kind of thing) and they screamed and dumped the coffee they were carrying over themselves.

There's also roadworks there at the moment, so part of it's closed, meaning about halfway down you have no option but to make a right turn.For some reason the peds that do look do this thing where they see you coming, but sidle halfway out into the lane anyway so that they're as far as possible across the road without plonking themselves directly into your path.

The reason this is particularly infuriating is because they do not take into account that they are doing this on a corner and therefore the path I'm going to take involves curving towards them. This has prompted a few heart-in-mouth moments and the odd lairy slide as peds that were standing, waiting, and with whom I've made eye contact, take another couple of steps straight in front of me at the last possible second before I turn in.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    JonGinge wrote:
    Yep, Cannon Street.
    Had my worst cycle accident there.

Actually, pedestrians are always a bit of a liability all around towns and cities. You just have to give them a wide birth and assume they'll act unpredictably.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Outside Tower Hill station. They seem to think the road between there and Fenchurch Street station is an extension of the pavement, and seem offended when a bike is hurtling towards them at 20mph.