Valve replacement on heart and cycling?

CyclingObsession
CyclingObsession Posts: 314
Does this effect hill climbing I ha the surgery 2 years ago I'm aged 26, I know I posted about hill training before but the thought occur that it might be holding me back?

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    funnily enough i rode a bit last week with a guy who had had heart surgery and he told me avoids hills but still enjoys 3x40+rides a week - its too risky to ask for advice on here, i'd suggest, why not ask your doc he/she obviously knows more about your health/condition than we ever could.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Brommers76
    Brommers76 Posts: 234
    I had a AVR about 8 weeks ago and have been on the turbo for about 4 weeks now every other day. My valve is mechanical.

cleat is correct that you need to seek advice regarding your particular condition. Do you have any other heart issues for instance and are you on any beta blockers? This may affect your performance.

For me personally there should be no real limits but trying to get a cardiologist to confirm that isn't easy as there simply are no studies and hence no data to support them.

for lots of good info try www.cardiacathletes.com but most of all get your cardio's opinion. Their opinion isn't always right and may be based on outdated assumptions and prejudices due to the lack of data they have but you must get their advice and take it from there. If you want PM me.