Light weight wheels for heavy rider ??

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys.

I just wanted to ask for some advice on a light weight wheelset for a heavy rider.

I weight 15st 7lbs (217lbs or 98kg) and I have a budget around £400, maybe £500 if they were the dogs.

Every wheelset I've come across say there for riders much, mugh lighter than me :( so does anyone know of a wheelset out there that wont self destruct under 15 n half stone ?

I don't generally do anything dangerous out there, just light trail riding.

Many thanks in advance :)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Pretty much any will handle it. I'm almost as heavy (14.5 rocks or so - what a bloody silly way of measuring things), have very light wheels, and ride anything and everything.
    And spent under £100, on sale admittedly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Oh now that is good news, and thanks for the input :)

I'll be gingerley on some while the lard drops off before I give it any real saurus :lol:

OK so in that case..... is there a better option out there than this for the money ?

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/w ... -rims.html

Or do those look like a good option in your option ?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Are these for your cube?
  • Anonymous
    Yes they are
  • MrCubeLtd
    MrCubeLtd Posts: 192
    I looked at the Crest's before and looking at spec max recommended weight for the rims is 190lbs
    http://www.notubes.com/ZTR-Crest-26-Sto ... -P450.aspx

But I don't know if this, excusing the pun is set in stone when it comes to max rider weight. Hopefully someone else more in the know can advise
    I'm pedalling as fast as I can!
  • Anonymous
    Hey guys am thinking about these:

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=496

I'm just doin light xc riding nothing major so I wont be banging um about or anything.

I have a question though, I dont understand what the options are when it says:

Adaptors Included ? I guess its front and rear, how do I know if I need adaptors ?

I just have standard wheels and standard QR skewers, well there ti bling ones but replaced the normal ones.

Does anyone know what I need to select in the adaptors section ?

Cheers :)
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    If both wheels are qr then no adapters are required.

Make sure the rear hub is the correct width.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • Anonymous
  • Chunkers1980
    Crest or flow?
  • Anonymous
    I was thinking crest ones
  • j40aja
    j40aja Posts: 65
    If you're thinking of a Hope build at your weight I'd go for the Stans Arch EX rims instead of the Crests on Pro 2 Evo hubs. I had the Hope Hoops you linked to above (Pro3 XC6 SP Crests), great wheels but I am on the limit for the weight for them and wouldn't want to be much heavier ( I'm light on my wheels too, no big jumps etc).
    The Arch EX sits band in the middle between the Crest and Flow so is a good compromise between the 2.

If you go through Merlin you can specify hub colour if you want Hope hubs and spoke type and an extra 5% off at the till!
  • Anonymous
    Thanks for the info and tip about Merlin cycles :)

I had a email from Eurobike saying :

American Classic wheels have what I call good rider weights, therefore the MTB Race wheel set which is 1321gr in weight is suitable for riders of 100 kgs

I bet they will cost twice what say the 1500g Superstars wheelset will cost, so you have to ask yourself, is 200g really worth an extra £200 ?

Thing is I only wanna do this once so I wanna do it right.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    For 'light XC' pretty much any MTB wheelset will be fine.

How light and how expensive is a trade off that you have to make.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • skinnyT
    skinnyT Posts: 73
    I have been looking at Amercian Classics, the Races are £600 :!: on Eurobike web site and I havent seen them cheaper elsewhere. You can get the MTB disc for a lot less

http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/p ... s_id=11918

Hope and Superstar are cheaper again. Like the previous post said depends on how much you a willing to pay for light. I still havent decided whether to spend on the races...
  • Anonymous
    Hey guys.

Thanks for all your input on these wheels, I have investigated all your advice and it seems your all spot on with the advice you give :)

OK I have narrowed it down to several sets of wheels....

Stan's No Tubes ZTR Crest 26" MTB Wheelset 1420g - £329.99

Hope Hoops - Pro 3 XC6 SP - Black Crest Rims 1463g - £356.91

Superstars Ultralight Stans Superdeal 1520g - £299.99

Stan's No Tubes ZTR Arch EX 26" Wheelset 1585g - £371.95

Superstars Stans Rims Superdeal - Crest 1650g - £220.00

I am struggling to choose a set .. the arch sound and look great but the weight and price doesnt appeal, and while I want the lightest set of wheels I can find, is it really worth 110 hard earned quid more for a wheelset thats only 230g lighter ? is that going to be noticable in the real world ?

If I don't go with the Crest @ 1420g for £330, whats the better option and, is it worth paying more for a heavier wheelset ? or is there a better option out there for £330 or under ?

Its hard to know what to do so any input helping me make sense of it would be great :D
  • booyaka
    booyaka Posts: 263
    http://www.moonglu.com/shop/categories/ ... omponents/

Check out the above link - cheaper than your links

Arch Ex's on Hope hubs - £340
    Flows/Crests on Hope hubs - £300
  • Anonymous
    Thanks for the link Booyaka :)

The one of interest there would be Hope Pro 2 on Crest and while £30 cheaper there some 200g heavier, so I guess its is 200g worth 30 notes.
  • Anonymous
    OK I mulled over this long enough ... based on a few factors, spokes, weight, price, bling :lol: I decided to go for these bad boys :

Superstars Ultralight Stans Superdeal 1520g - £299.99

Having looked at all suggestions and options, the Superstars for that price and that weight, which includes rimtape and adaptors, I think I will be pretty happy.

Thanks again everyone for all your help, I wonder if these wheels will put me into the 10kg category now ? hmm hope so :D
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I'v got 2 sets of superstar wheels and haven't been abot to damage them yet and have been very happy with them.
  • Anonymous
    Thats comforting to know, cheers mate :D
  • booyaka
    nice one - let us know when they arrive and what they are like.

I'm in the market for a new wheelset and been doing that same as you - over and over. Was going for the hope & arch ex but realistically the crest are more than enough for me as a general XC/trail centre rider. That looks a good deal with superstar.

Also with a black 456 carbon with red bits already on it - that set of wheels looks like something else to tart up the bike! :D:D
  • Anonymous
    I sure will let you know mate, weights and pics.

For the money I find them seriously hard to beat in terms of bling and weight, gotta love the bling :lol:

What got me onto this was recently I went from my Panaracer tyres back to my Schwalbes and I was 3 minutes quicker over a 4 mile distance, it really was shocking, so if I can get a similar amount of boost again, then I'll be one fast fat-bloke :lol::lol:

Your bike sounds the nuts, any chance of a pic ? heres my bad boy :

24610084.jpg

Done loads more mods since that pic, XT shifters n mechs and an Answer 70mm stem which really livened it up some, cost so far inc bike is about 2 grand lol.
  • Anonymous
    Oh bother ............. :roll:

I kinda wish I had done this exercise BEFORE I just spent £300 on a set of new wheels ...

I have just been weighing everything and working out what my current wheelset weighs and what the new one will weigh if I keep all the components, check it out :

snap052q.png
    snap053v.png

So basically its cost me £300 to save 700g :lol: :oops:

OK so looking at the list ... I already have titanium/carbon skewers so there uber light, disc bolts are made of cheese (soft ally) so that leaves...

Discs, Tubes and Tyres.

Now I have seen some tyres @ 420g saving me another 600g a pair, and my discs I guess are hefty as are the tubes.

Any suggestions on Discs, Tubes and Tyres guys ? ... man I knew this was gonna be expensive in the end :x oh and the goal is to lose 1.8kg to get me to a 10kg rigid xc racer 8)
  • booyaka
    tubeless?

I'm no weight weenie just fancy a new set of wheels!
  • Anonymous
    I aint really educated on tubless yet and I'm worried it could be more trouble than its worth ?

I've managed to shave another 1kg off the discs, tyres and inner tubes so am about where I wanna be with that now, just gotta hammer the credit card 1 last time lol.
  • Chunkers1980
    Do your wheels have spokes, nipples and tapes?
  • Dog296
    Dog296 Posts: 84
    I too was after lighter wheels but didn't want to spend tooooio much.

I will be honest I didn't look at weight of rider before buying.... I'm 14.5st (203lb or 92kg) but I went for superstars Stans deal. I went for White crests, with black hubs n spokes. Ive got extra weight due to a steel free hub but they are still lighter than my other wheels (alexrims dc25)

But I also discovered yesterday that my tyres ate a whooping 1.7kg each!!!

So, shopped online, got a pair of Racing Ralph tyres, and tubeless Stans kit.... On paper I should save the minimum of 1kg on each wheel.

Ill measure it once built, I have a fishing scales which I can use.

In fact, on paper I work out my new wheels to be 2626grms built wheelset (not inc my rear cassette, its a 8 speed steel so weighs a ton) whereas my orginial weight was approx: 6-7kg with tyres.
    White Bikes, make the best bikes.

2011 GT Avalanche 3.0 Hydro!
  • Anonymous
    Wow Dog, 1.7kg each ! :o

Biggest performance I have found so far has not been from weight but from swapping from knobley Panaracer XC Fire Pro tyres to Schwalbe ones which are like slicks, am so much faster now its like am turbo charged :lol:

Your bike will feel like a new machine when that amount of weight is off.

Well for my build I needed to look at 3 areas to save weight, discs, tyres and tubes.

I bought Ashima Light-weight AiRotor Double Ground 410 Stainless 160mm discs for £37 which saved another 60gms, tyres I'm thinking of Specialized 2012 S-Works Renegade which will save me another 700gms and the Continental Supersonic Tube saving me a further 210gms over my previous set up making 1.670kg lighter than before dropping final weight down to 10.170kg or there abouts :D
  • Dog296
    Dog296 Posts: 84
    I know, I knew my "road" tyres were heavier than I was expecting, but I didn't realise they we're quite that heavy!
    But then, if I read the stuff on the side of the tyre wall.... (DH Duel ply, steel bead, SF) ah well.

I'm not 100% sure how heavy my Alexrims DC25 are, they came standard on my GT, so can't too light, plus with Tektro hubs, can't too light.

Whereas, my new Superstar wheels, (Stans crest rims, and evo2 hubs) come in at around 1600grms the pair (although I have a steel freehub so add a few grms) and my new tyres which will be ran tubeless are on 470grms each (Racing Ralph's). I hope to feel a differance! Next stage is Forks and brakes.

I'm thinking of saving more weight, but getting rid of my floating rotors, I don't generate near enough heat to warrant them so thinking of going back to plain rotors.
    White Bikes, make the best bikes.

2011 GT Avalanche 3.0 Hydro!
  • Anonymous
    I dont know what kinda riding you do but if your like me and do light XC trail riding then have you considered carbon rigid forks ?

There are many benefits to going rigid and I saved almost 2kg from my heavy suspension forks :D

I dont even notice I am running rigid unless on a really bumpy trail or jumping off curbs etc but for 90% of the riding I do which is flat trail centre fun for fitness at warp speed, I wouldnt swap them for any suspension fork right now.