The Tyne and Wear Commuter Thread

Comments

• byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    Up & Down Rosehill Bank :o[/quote]

I know, looks nasty. Only done it once, heading towards Howdon. Keep meaning to tackle it but I always end up going through Wallsend and heading north.
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Totally addicted, can't believe I've waited until my 54th year to start !
    Never too late, I'm not far behind you age wise but I've been doing it for two or three years.
    Now you've got your time down to 38 minutes its obvious your bike is holding you back and you need an upgrade :wink:
  • Hi Twostroke,

Bikes ok (scott sub20)

I fear it could be the 17 stone of relaxed muscle sitting on it that may be holding me back !
  • Tony Mc
    Tony Mc Posts: 180
    Hi fellas I must pass see most of you along Scotwood Road mornings and evenings

Live in Dunston and Work in Jesmond but prefer to add a few miles on than sit at the computer hence using the riverside route on both sides of the Tyne

Riding a White Focus Cylocross bike with road tyres as its Summer :?
    Getting there
  • Twostage
    Tony Mc wrote:
    Hi fellas I must pass see most of you along Scotwood Road mornings and evenings

Live in Dunston and Work in Jesmond but prefer to add a few miles on than sit at the computer hence using the riverside route on both sides of the Tyne

Riding a White Focus Cylocross bike with road tyres as its Summer :?
    Which model Focus ? I was looking at them last year. I think I quite fancied the Ax2.
  • Tony Mc
    Got the Focus Mare 2010 model for commuting its very versitile, in the summer have some road tyres on and in the winter change to some wider touring tyres but it handles road and bridle paths no problems
    Getting there
  • tuktuk
    tuktuk Posts: 179
    Picked up a puncture from somewhere today, only noticed just as i left work so got myself back to the ofice to sort it out. It showed me how pathetic my mini hand pump is. Does anyone here use the co2 cartridges ? Im thinking of buying another track pump for home and keep my current one at work.
  • Twostage
    tuktuk wrote:
    Picked up a puncture from somewhere today, only noticed just as i left work so got myself back to the ofice to sort it out. It showed me how pathetic my mini hand pump is. Does anyone here use the co2 cartridges ? Im thinking of buying another track pump for home and keep my current one at work.
    I was talking to someone last week who swears by them. Flat to fully inflated in three seconds they reckon.
    I've got a variety of tools and spares (inner tubes, batteries, lights) at work. Must have used the hex wrenches dozens of times to adjust things. Deffo worth having.
  • king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    tuktuk wrote:

I just picked up the cartridges + dispenser from wiggle a month ago. Tested it out and seems really good, probably say 3 seconds is about right, it really is that quick! + I can now leave the pump at home and just fit everything I need in a small saddle bag.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/genuine-innovat ... -inflator/

Might be able to get cheaper elsewhere, but its a great bit of kit.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    tuktuk wrote:

Get a topeak road morph pump- fits to bike frme and is good at getting tyres up to 120psi. It is a mini track pump.

no need to use CO2 cannisters, never get caught out by having insufficient cannisters etc. Once purchased, no more costs in buying cannisters etc
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • RAK1963
    RAK1963 Posts: 12
    Blimus it's wet.

Think I'll be better off kayaking down Scotswood Road in an hour. At least the Wylam Waggonway should be free of dog walkers!
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    Every single piece of clothing was drenched and still wet when I had to put it back on to come home. Lovely.
    for the info of anyone who uses the Quayside, its completely blocked off after the millennium bridge due to the Olympic torch thing
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Was a wet one both ways, I need better overshoes.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • tuktuk
    I go drenched thismorning but it was also the first tailwind i have experianced, felt like i was flying along :D

I left for home at about 1 whilst it was dry but it might aswell have been chucking it down as my clothes were still soaked from the ride in!
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    Memo to self: if you're going to bust a lung and go out of your way to attack some new strava segments on the way home, make sure you've switched on the bloody gps.
  • Alinshearah
    Alinshearah Posts: 339
    RIDER NEARLY DOWN

This is just like those London Commuters

Crossing the road at the ped crossing at B&Q roundabout on Scotswood road from the Whitehouse side to where the Enterprise Rent a car place is. Lights go red, little man goes green, off I go. Two numpties coming from Denton Road hurtle round the corner and straight through the lights and nearly straight through me. Bar Stewards.
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    RIDER NEARLY DOWN

This is just like those London Commuters

Crossing the road at the ped crossing at B&Q roundabout on Scotswood road from the Whitehouse side to where the Enterprise Rent a car place is. Lights go red, little man goes green, off I go. Two numpties coming from Denton Road hurtle round the corner and straight through the lights and nearly straight through me. Bar Stewards.

Next thing you'll be moaning about taxis and silly commuter rage! :lol:
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • tuktuk
    Sweating in the heat yesterday, soaked in the rain today!

Pain in the arse our weather.
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    tuktuk wrote:

Pain in the ars* our weather.

yup, it was fine coming in, slight drizzle here and there, but it is been none stop since about 10 I am going to be soaked to the skin by the time I get home. I've got a waterproof jacket and waterproof overshoes with me at least :x
  • Twostage
    anthdci wrote:
    tuktuk wrote:

Pain in the ars* our weather.

yup, it was fine coming in, slight drizzle here and there, but it is been none stop since about 10 I am going to be soaked to the skin by the time I get home. I've got a waterproof jacket and waterproof overshoes with me at least :x
    One of those clothing dilemma commutes - warm and wet weather. Do you wear a rain-proof but be hot or just a jersey and get wet ? I got hot and eventually wet with sweat.
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    Twostage wrote:
    Do you wear a rain-proof but be hot or just a jersey and get wet ? I got hot and eventually wet with sweat.

I wore my rain cost and overshoes. It didn't rain at all on my way home so I melted instead. Cant win. It was supposed to be worse today so I planned on getting the metro. Woke up to glorious sunshine so the bike came out again. Hopefully the rain will keep off for the return journey.

woo 5 days cycling this week 8)
  • Tony Mc
    Its a difficult choice, cycling in this morning dry but cool looking like rain for the return journey.

I tend to just have a gilet (great bit of kit) on with long sleeve top under if particulary chilly, or short sleeve top and arm warmers if its going to be warmer later

I find a water proof jacket usually mean you get wet from the inside
    Getting there
  • Gore Alp-X SO :wink:
    Showerproof, with removable sleeves.
    It's my 3 season, 'go-to' top when I don't know what the weather is going to do.
    But given the choice, i would rather just get wet on a commute. My clothes will dry before I have to wear them for the ride home.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • tuktuk
    I know a few have already mentioned it but is anyone doing the virgin cyclone event ?
  • Yep - but just the 33 mile one. Acting as a support rider for my 'large' work colleague.
  • tuktuk
    Im thinking of going on the friday to watch the leazes park races, its fully booked on the saturday now or i would have done the 33 mile one.
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    Morpeth to newcastle business park. Cross the A1 at stanington then negotiate the holiday in roundabout and down through wideopen, gt north road and then cut across low friars and down to the office.

Any where from 30+ to 50 miles depending on if i avoid the stanington cycle path or not. I only do it when i feel the need otherwise its too far and too many nutty drivers.
  • tuktuk wrote:
    Im thinking of going on the friday to watch the leazes park races, its fully booked on the saturday now or i would have done the 33 mile one.
    Your not missing anything - I did last year too. Well organised, but there are no closed roads and too many cyclists on the road trying to compete with the traffic.
  • tuktuk
    Not to worry then haha. I need to plan a route up to boulmer and go amd stay at my grans house then come back the next day. Im as far as where the a19 meets the a189 lol. I think its about 50 mile each way from memory, should be a nice ride to get some more distance under me.

Picked up another puncture lastnight, about a mile after i left work. Changed the tube but my pump is really awful so i had to push it to the shell garage and met my girlfriend with the track pump. I couldnt believe the amount of people that flew past me whilst i was walking it without asking if i needed a hand etc, one person out of about 10! Every time i have seen someone pushing or stopped looking at their bike i have asked if they need a hand or any tools.

Anyways, in the rush to put a new tube on i think i have put the tyre on in the wrong direction haha. I think i should probably get some new tyres as these ones must be like a seive by now.
  • tuktuk wrote:
    I think i should probably get some new tyres as these ones must be like a seive by now.

I would recommend the Continental Travel Contacts. Fast rolling, puncture proofed, cheapish and you get a free innertube and 1 year guarantee.
    Checking Halfords - I bought mine in a 'buy one, get one free' offer.