The Tyne and Wear Commuter Thread

Comments

• Just back from Spain too (near Grenada). Got a mtb for 3 days. Rode up to Alhambra in 38 degree heat. Nearly killed myself. Couldn't ride for the rest of the week; aching and dehydrated.
    So many hills and gorges. And so hot and dusty. Even 30 miles is a test.
    (Made me appreciate cycling in Britain - lots of places to stop & refuel.)
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    any of you lot get caught out in this:

http://youtu.be/AhF8KmWLq4o

That's just bloody epic!!!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • kela66
    kela66 Posts: 32
    Hello All,
    A quick question, a group of lad's from our Stckton branch are doing a ride around the north east branches for charity.
    they are after any links showing routes from Sunderland to Heaton and then on to Ashington.
    A quick search at work has come up with nothing, would anyone be able to point them in the right direction for downloadable maps?
    Thanks in advance Kela.
    PS i really enjoy reading this thread keep up the good work :)
    Drop bars n beat's
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    Is everyone ready with their waterproofs for getting home? Looks like it's going to be a wet one!
  • kela66
    kela66 Posts: 32
    kela66 wrote:
    Hello All,
    A quick question, a group of lad's from our Stckton branch are doing a ride around the north east branches for charity.
    they are after any links showing routes from Sunderland to Heaton and then on to Ashington.
    A quick search at work has come up with nothing, would anyone be able to point them in the right direction for downloadable maps?
    Thanks in advance Kela.
    PS i really enjoy reading this thread keep up the good work :)

Forget this, Newcastle Council are posting map's of the relevant areas out to them.
    Drop bars n beat's
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Just back from Spain too (near Grenada). Got a mtb for 3 days. Rode up to Alhambra in 38 degree heat. Nearly killed myself. Couldn't ride for the rest of the week; aching and dehydrated.
    So many hills and gorges. And so hot and dusty. Even 30 miles is a test.
    (Made me appreciate cycling in Britain - lots of places to stop & refuel.)
    I was in the Sierra Nevada Mountains about an 1 1/2 hour drive from Grenada. I would have done myself damage if I'd tried to bike.
  • Hullo folks. I'm another of the Scotswood Road commuters.

Start up near Greenside, down to Blaydon, over Scotswood Bridge, and Scotswood Road into town. Usually on either a red Fort track bike or a blue Voodoo 'cross bike with 'guards.
  • Twostage wrote:
    I was in the Sierra Nevada Mountains about an 1 1/2 hour drive from Grenada. I would have done myself damage if I'd tried to bike.
    Well, I'm still shitting water and wiping my arse with babywipes so I think I'm still pretty damaged. And all of the dust has killed my camera meaning that I no longer have the picture of me vomiting outside of the entrance to Alhambra Palace. :oops:

And welcome to the thread Chris!
  • Hullo folks. I'm another of the Scotswood Road commuters.

Start up near Greenside, down to Blaydon, over Scotswood Bridge, and Scotswood Road into town. Usually on either a red Fort track bike or a blue Voodoo 'cross bike with 'guards.
    I raise my hat for someone riding up from Blyadon - Ryton-to Greenside on a fixie.
  • Twostage
    Twostage wrote:
    Well, I'm still ******** water and wiping my ars* with babywipes so I think I'm still pretty damaged. And all of the dust has killed my camera meaning that I no longer have the picture of me vomiting outside of the entrance to Alhambra Palace. :oops:

And welcome to the thread Chris!
    On rare events the sensible part of my brain wins despite the monster part shouting 'just do it you wimp'. Looks like Mr. Sensible was right this time. I suppose it's because I've learned my lesson...

A few years ago in Majorca (or maybe menorca) I decided to do a long route which took until lunch rather than the quick early morning ride. I ended up laid out for a few days with heart arythmia for several weeks.
  • Twostage
    Hullo folks. I'm another of the Scotswood Road commuters.

So do you do track stands at the lights going down the bank from ryton to blaydon or is that someone else ?
  • Twostage
    On a recommendation of a fellow time-trialer I've started commuting single speed. Not a SS bike just putting it into 52:16 and leaving it there. It's suprisingly OK. I would say about 85% of the time the gearing is just fine. You spin out going down steep hills but I can keep pedalling to about 30mph now. Setting off in traffic and steep ascents are difficult (steep ascents being the worst). I'm thinking of using a hybrid approach where I use gears in town and drop a cog or two on the very steep ascents until I build up a bit more strength (my legs ache so something is happening). It's certainly not taking me any longer to commute.
    I wouldn't like to switch to a SS (or fixie) but I'd recommend leaving the gears alone.
  • Twostage wrote:

So do you do track stands at the lights going down the bank from ryton to blaydon or is that someone else ?

I come down the A695 to the Blaydon roundabout on the way to work. This morning I could be seen putting my chain back on after it was thrown off, causing me to fishtail to a halt in front of a grumpy driver. Whadaya know, the chain was a bit slack this morning afterall...

On the way home, I go back up Stella bank to Ryton if I'm on the Fort. I can't get up Summerhill with the gear that's on it. My track standing is, erm 'average' though, so it's probably somebody else.
  • Hi All
    Just to let you know that the M Steel Cycles sale in South Gosforth started today (Saturday).
    Some nice bargains. Trek 3.1 Madone down for £1600 to £1280. They also have some Bromptons in the sale if any of you need a folding bike.
  • Twostage
    Twostage wrote:

I come down the A695 to the Blaydon roundabout on the way to work. This morning I could be seen putting my chain back on after it was thrown off, causing me to fishtail to a halt in front of a grumpy driver. Whadaya know, the chain was a bit slack this morning afterall...

On the way home, I go back up Stella bank to Ryton if I'm on the Fort. I can't get up Summerhill with the gear that's on it. My track standing is, erm 'average' though, so it's probably somebody else.
    It was on the way down Stella bank that someone behind me was doing an extended track stand (I tried not to look) so probably someone else.
  • Twostage
    Drove in today. The first four bikes I saw as I came into Newcastle were single speed/fixed. Are we being invaded ?
  • I've been on the look out for a single speed, fancy a change but struggling to find a good one under £350 especially local, defo in vogue at the moment.
  • Cuddywifter
    Cuddywifter Posts: 15
    edited August 2012
    Just noticed these on Gumtree.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/2010- ... /108972481

Or this

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/2011- ... /108957745

SE used to make great BMX bikes BITD - the PK Ripper and the Quadangle to name two. Not sure what the Lager single speed is like, but specs look reasonable for the price.
  • anthdci
    I really dont understand single speeds, I mean i know they are less maintenance, but I dont think the upkeep for gears is that much.
  • Twostage
    The white one looks good but far too small for me.

Here's a pink one :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SE-Lager-Fixe ... _500wt_922
  • anthdci
    was anyone else cycling home last night in the wind and rain? The rain wasn't too bad, until I got to Gateshead where the wind hit me! Saw a poor bloke repairing a puncture on a what looked like a Brompton at the side of the Felling bypass, I offered to help but he looks like he was nearly done. What a horrible time to get one.
  • tuktuk
    tuktuk Posts: 179
    Looking ahead to the winter, what do you guys do when its been snowing or its icy?

Is it still possible to commute on the bike or do you switch to the car or metro etc?
  • anthdci
    tuktuk wrote:
    Looking ahead to the winter, what do you guys do when its been snowing or its icy?
    Is it still possible to commute on the bike or do you switch to the car or metro etc?

if it is just wet, I'll be on the bike, its only a bit rain. But if there is frost and ice on the ground or it is snowing etc then I may have to brave the metro. Will be checking in advance if the thing is actually working first though!!

I now have build up 3 pairs of tyres, the 32c cyclocross that came with the bike, some 28c marathon plus, and some 23c road/race tyres on new rims. So depending on condition I can just pick which is most suitable for the conditions
  • Anyone out in Whitley Bay/Cullercoats yesterday evening? HTC yellow-ish top blowing snot rockets? :lol:

Was pootling along then whooooosh! Caught up then lost you at Waves.
  • tuktuk wrote:

Winter is here already. 2 degrees this morning, light frost on the ground at Gosforth Racecouse. Not a morning to be wearing shortsleeves and fingerless gloves.

As for me - I stick chunky tyres on the MTB and bear with it until I take a couple of falls . Have to be very careful on the ice though. Adds another 10 minutes onto my ride as I take it easier on the paths and go off road more.
  • anthdci
    Winter is here already. 2 degrees this morning, light frost on the ground at Gosforth Racecouse. Not a morning to be wearing shortsleeves and fingerless gloves.

I was ready to go out in just my jersey until I put the bin out of collection, and realised that was a very bad idea so put a base layer on! Still have fingerless gloves and for the first 4 or 5 miles they were painfully cold.

Did the Sunderland Clarion club training run last night, and I was the only one daft enough not to have a base layer. By the end everyone who had lights had them on :(
  • tuktuk
    Think i might search ebay etc for a half decent mountain bike and rally on as long as i can bear it.

Certainy has been cold this week, lost one of my gloves too which hasnt helped :D
  • tuktuk
    Just done my first bike ride other than to work or just 'round the houses', went up to Burradon to see a mate and then down past Seaton deleval hall and along the coast and back into Tynemouth. Loved it when i hit the coast for the cooler air!

Worked out at 22miles and managed 17.1 mph average, pretty pleased with that, I have come on loads since i first started. Definately need to get out more and furthar away though and start working up to 50 miles.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    edited September 2012
    Congrats, sounds like fun, I've also been scouring eBay for a 2nd hand MTB, I fancy spending more time offroad and at the woods.

I just did a touch under 60 miles in a little over four and a half hours (with snack stops) over some Pennine Foothils I've been meaning to explore. I went down to Consett on the Derwent Walk 14, along to Waskerley Way 7 (stick to the roads un less you have offroad treads for this one, suspension would help too) to Meadows Edge (brilliant road that, 12% then 13% then a 16% descent or climb going South) to Blanchland, then a 20% climb to Slayley and on to Hexham (another 13% descent as you enter the town), then the A695 to Corbridge, Hadrians Way 72 to Ovingham, stayed on the road north of the Tyne to Wylam, over the bridge and back on Keelmans Way 141.

Elevation profile:

1347180322-31779-P-82.39.36.160.png

Averaged around 13mph despite hitting 48mph on a descent and keeping the cranks at 90rpm as much as possible O_o I need to work on my climbing (1680 feet climbed) and fuelling.
    tuktuk wrote:

I have Schwalbe Snow Studs in the shed for when the ice comes.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Do any of you folks record your rides with MapMyRide or Strava or another and make them "public" so others can see them? It would be interesting to see your split times to see how slow I really am!

I have been doing a route from South Gosforth to the Airport and back to see if I can improve my time, which I have, but I am nowhere near the average speed of tuktuk or others on here.