Going backwards poor form

petemadoc
petemadoc Posts: 2,331
So I've been steadily getting better and faster over the last couple of years. Did some cross races in the winter and some crits this summer. All good and always felt quite strong. In fact 2 weeks ago I felt on top form and was flying.

However

Last night I went to the local race and completely fluffed it, dropped on the first lap and just felt like I had no strength. A similar thing happened on the Sunday morning ride, felt really slow and weak and it took forever to get over ever hill. Even when I had a tail wind I struggled to reach 20mph.

I've been trying to go over what, if anything, I've done differently this last week or so. I've cycled to work a bit less for various reasons and taken it a bit easier in general but still got the odd ride in mid week.

Has anyone else had something similar happen, how could I go from hero to zero in 2 weeks? :cry:

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    You may be dealing with a mild sickness, fever, virus. Even if you don't feel many symptoms, it will take it out of you.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    edited May 2012
    Singleton wrote:
    You may be dealing with a mild sickness, fever, virus. Even if you don't feel many symptoms, it will take it out of you.

Yeah I did think that, I don't feel ill :?

The kids have had a bug so maybe. I don't want to make excuses for myself though. There has been a lot on at work too but this is a severe drop in form not just a slight reduction.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Pete,
    Don't sweat, it sometimes it just happens and maybe you just need a bit of rest, or things don't add up on the day.

A few weeks ago we had a non-aero 10 in our club which has a few small rises. As soon as I pushed off I just didn't feel right and couldn't go at all. Worst 10 time so far, even though I am fitter and can produce more power for longer now.

Low and behold a few days later, cycled to work. On the way back, 13.5 miles with a big hill (for Essex) and a couple of sharp inclines with a rucksack on... faster average speed on the same bike!

Sometimes a few days off can be as good as training IMO... but that's just my opinion

Brett
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • Muffintop
    Muffintop Posts: 296
    brettjmcc wrote:
    Pete,

Sometimes a few days off can be as good as training IMO... but that's just my opinion

Brett

+1, sometimes you just have a bad couple of days. Loads of viruses don't symptomise (real word? Don't care, I'm using it) until you try to do something and find out you can't.

Mx
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    If its not illness or leg fatigue just start riding again and build up slowly