Maintaining fitness off the bike

samg123
samg123 Posts: 275
I've been cycling for about a year, and have built up some seriously good fitness recently, with about 100 miles a week and a good average speed.
I'm going away to Uganda for a month in July (missing the ENTIRE TOUR, which is a source of much distress) and want some suggestions for how keep my fitness when I'm unable to ride.
Thanks!

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    Running? You don't need much equipment for it.
  • slowsider
    slowsider Posts: 197
    They don't have bikes in Uganda ???
  • samg123
    samg123 Posts: 275
    I'm not entirely sure about the bike hire situation in the small village where I'll be staying :wink:
    Running seems the logical choice, but I've always found that running fitness doesn't really translate well into cycling fitness.
    I guess it's my only real option though...
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Running? - Make sure you start off slowly with low distances if you're not already a runner

Core strength?

High intensity interval stuff? - P90x Plyometrics style. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54_nhVxZQZw -> like this. (be warned that its hard if you do it properly though!)

There are plenty of options even if you don't have equipment.
  • slowsider
    slowsider Posts: 197
    samg123 wrote:
    I'm not entirely sure about the bike hire situation in the small village where I'll be staying :wink: .

You're there for a month - you might find the locals have them and will give you a lend :wink:
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    Is there a croc infested river to swim in?
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Take a bike and a turbo that doesn't need electrics. Cycle in cool of morning?