strava, endomondo, from one app

2»

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hence why I use my old Nokia for GPS at the moment. More reliable aside from dodgy altitude figures which can be fixed, and the battery lasts half a week if not longer! And it makes much better phone calls. I know that's an odd concept, using a phone to actually call someone.
  • hard-rider
    hard-rider Posts: 460
    deadkenny wrote:
    Also struggling to get the S2 to use the thing. Tried a few BT GPS apps but not all apps will see the GPS. Was never a problem with my old Nokia.
    I use bluegps4droid. It's opensource but not available in the market. You can get it from sourceforge.net/p/bluegps4droid/home/Home/). It seemed to work quite well for me when I used apps that couldn't access external BT GPS' directly. For Oruxmaps it's not necessary as that can use external BT GPS' from within the app.

I agree the old Nokias set the standard. It's a shame they lost their way.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Quite happy to run the two apps side by side (on one phone). I use Endomondo to track my ride from my door to get my actual km's, altitude gains etc and have started using Strava to track actual routes, trails, loops, circuits etc that I can share with friends

(don't know why but they're not interested in routes that start & finish on my drive :wink: )
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    hard-rider wrote:

I agree the old Nokias set the standard. It's a shame they lost their way.

+1 to that. Was a Nokia user/fan-boy from 1995 (Orange 5.1) to 2009 (E71)

Trek Session 8
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    try map my ride its basicly the app what you want as you can compare times and upload routes and loads of other things prob one of the best fittness aps out also map my run and map my walk would recomend this !!!!!
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • jehosophat
    jehosophat Posts: 108
    This is something that saddens me about the smartphone obsession these days.
    Nobody seems to actually want the "best" anything anymore, they'll make do with a substandard one because they can get one device that does most things merely adequately.
    Want a weatherproof, shockproof GPS that will survive anny conditions out in the hills? No, it's ok, I'll have a £400 phone instead which may break in extreme conditions, and may not offer as much accuracy and has terrible battery life. Because it also takes mediocre pictures.

So true. They are just a fashion statement, and seem an epic waste of money, often for people that can least afford it.

Because smartphones are technically mainly "one offs" in terms of hardware and much of the software, with nothing like the standardisation of platforms of, say, the PC industry, they are rubbish value compared to laptops and netbooks. They are also buggy as hell, become seriously outdated in no time at all, have appalling battery life, break easily, etc etc. I worked in the mobile industry after working in the IT industry and was pretty shocked at how "one off" most phones are, and how they are rushed to market before they are really ready. Operator subsidies shield us in this country from the true sim-free price of phones, they cost a hell of a lot of money for what you are actually getting.

If work wants to give me a smartphone, that is fine. When buying phones for myself I buy small Nokias with good voice quality cheaply on Ebay, and for Endomondo purposes a Blackberry Pearl for decent GPS, battery life, and bluetooth/car kit performance. It is cheap as chips, weighs nothing, and bounces well. If I smash it to peices or get it soaked I won't be shedding a tear. I don't want a phone that costs £400 and weighs so much it looks like I have a brick in my pocket...

All my nieces and nephews have iPhones despite only one of them having any sort of income at all - they regularly break them, it seems the end of their lives if one is nicked or broken, they are just a fashion accessory - very little of the huge range of functionality is actually used, they just text/call people, take the odd rubbish quality photo, and play the odd game.
  • Shylock
    Shylock Posts: 98
    Wow this has quickly turned into a iPhone bashing!

Posted from my iPhone
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I got a smartphone because I liked it, and because it means carrying less crap around. It's a good-enough camera, an excellent music player, it occasionally surfs the web, it can tell me where I am, and consistently beat me at chess. Also it does telephoning. Garmin no doubt better at the one thing it does, but ****-all use at chess.

Endomondo/Strava on a smartphone isn't for people who desperately want accurate GPS... It's for people who have a phone and think they might as well use Endomondo because it cost £2. Not the same market at all.

Anyway... A Stravamondo app would be good, back to the OP. I like Endomondo as a tracker and I've been using it for a while, don't want to lose my logs but Strava does some nice things too.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Shylock wrote:
    Wow this has quickly turned into a iPhone bashing!

Posted from my iPhone
    See, only an apple zealot would see it that way - It appears that a few of us were berating ALL modern smartphones.
  • felix.london
    Nothing wrong with some smartphone cameras...

dsc_0791.jpg

I'm constantly getting 'Likes' from photographers for shots on my blog, which are all taken with my phone. But I guess like anything it depends what you buy.

I use a Sony Xperia Mini Pro. A very good, compact phone with a proper keyboard and a proper dual-action shutter button (and if I'm lead to believe Sony, will be upgraded to Android 4 any day now)

Trek Session 8
  • YeehaaMcgee
    That's a nice picture, but as far as the quality (in technical, not artistic terms) goes, it's lacking somewhat. There's no definition in the snow, and the trees all merge together into one noise-reduced mess.
    On top of that, it's taken in bright sunlight, which is the very best case scenario for any camera.
    So, yeah, a mediocre picture, technically, but still a great picture artistically, and nice framing - I'd personally crop it a bit closer to the tops of the mountains, and the mountain top reflections though.
  • felix.london
    all valid points!

Had a big off yesterday and if I'd had my DSLR in my pack it would've been in lots of smaller pieces today. Very sore back and pretty stiff neck...phones alright though :wink:

Trek Session 8
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Ooh, I dunno. I've landed on my slr plenty of times, and (touch wood) it's survived thus far :lol:
  • felix.london
    In fact maybe it would've protected my back..like a chunky, expensive spine protector..with a 50mm lens 8)

Trek Session 8
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    SLRs are very robust, even their lenses. Had a number of offs on the bike and skiing with mine in the Camelbak (HAWG, got it to carry the SLR anyway), not a scratch.

The compact on the other hand has not faired so well even in a padded bag inside the backpack. Common is bust up plastic zoom lens mechanisms and shattered LCDs (as happened to mine).

Some phones are pretty robust, but then they have little or zero mechanism in the lens, and the LCDs are often fairly toughened now to withstand big drops.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Doesn't matter now, I've uploaded all 399 rides I had in endomondo to Strava so I'll just use that from now on.

Still, stravamondo does sound pretty awesome and I still think an app like this would be usefull.

The thread going off in the direction of phone camera quality was a little unexpected. Just remember people we happy with 35mm compacts while they could have had SLR cameras, even APS camera were doing ok until digital changed the market. Not everyone needs or wants to carry round something that will produce the best photos possible.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • YeehaaMcgee
    oodboo wrote:
    Doesn't matter now, I've uploaded all 399 rides I had in endomondo to Strava so I'll just use that from now on.

Still, stravamondo does sound pretty awesome and I still think an app like this would be usefull.

The thread going off in the direction of phone camera quality was a little unexpected. Just remember people we happy with 35mm compacts while they could have had SLR cameras, even APS camera were doing ok until digital changed the market. Not everyone needs or wants to carry round something that will produce the best photos possible.
    I'm not suggesting that everyone run out and get an SLR though, far from it. I'm saying that even the best smartphone camera has it's arris handed to it by £60 compact cameras.
    But, rather than have devices that are actually any good at something, peope settle for one device which is mediocre at all tasks - and that's what I find a little sad.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    But, rather than have devices that are actually any good at something, peope settle for one device which is mediocre at all tasks - and that's what I find a little sad.
    I get that, but then it turned into a bit of a debate about camera quality.

Personally I'm happy using my smart phone as a jack of all trades but master of none. GPS is close enough as I don't rely on it for navigation, just something to look back on after a ride. Same with the camera, just some snapshots and video clips to look back on after a ride.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • I've been looking for exactly this, to be able to use Endomondo and Strava at the same time from my iPhone. Without having to faff on downloading and uploading GPX files.

I've found a few apps which allow you to track you ride and then also upload the results to various sports tracker services, such as FitBit, iBiker, but none that will upload to both Endomondo and Strava from within the same app.
  • iSmoothRun for the iPhone is pretty good. Besides having great support for sensors (ANT+ or Bluetooth) it uploads to a variety of services at one (including RunKeeper, Strava, Garmin Connect, Nike+. Endomondo is not there yet, but it's on the works). It can even upload the TCX automatically to Dropbox for you after your workout.
  • Jgb1
    Jgb1 Posts: 50
    Can't you just run two apps? I run Strava and oruxmaps ate the same time on my Desire. Orux uses free OS maps to record the routes and even includes 3D mapping now.
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    I record on one and import to the other when I get in, easy.
  • mip
    mip Posts: 2
    For Android, the best way to achieve this would be for someone to write an extension to mytracks
    (https://code.google.com/p/mytracks/). Unfortunately there is currently no public API for Endomondo so it is not possible.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232
    ukmkh wrote:
    So who is going to write this app for us :D That's the one thing I think I would like Strava to do, ability to add routes so that we can challenge our own times.

You can on Strava. Ride the ride and log it as a full segment from start point to end point using the slider bar. and if you want to, make it private.

I did it this morning, now I'm KOM on my own route to work :roll:
    Advocate of disc brakes.