strava, endomondo, from one app

oodboo
oodboo Posts: 2,171
edited April 2013 in MTB general
I would like one app that records my ride then uploads the GPX file to strava and endomondo and the possibility of others. I wouldn't have thought it would be too hard to create, just a basic app that records a ride then sends the gpx file to a selection of sites for all the fancy logging, analysis etc.

Am I asking too much or does this app already exist?
I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    oodboo wrote:
    I would like one app that records my ride then uploads the GPX file to strava and endomondo and the possibility of others. I wouldn't have thought it would be too hard to create, just a basic app that records a ride then sends the gpx file to a selection of sites for all the fancy logging, analysis etc.

+1, or at least allow me to import and export rides into different apps
  • ukmkh
    ukmkh Posts: 21
    Good idea for an app. Can I ask wh you want to upload to various sites? I used to use sportstracker but now it's only strava. Though if u are using an iPhone, you can run two gps apps at the same time. I tested it on my iPhone 4 a few weeks ago. A combination of sportstracker/cyclemeter and cyclemeter/strava both apps seemed to record correctly - only difference was time due to switching between apps and starting/stopping...
  • oodboo
    My example was endomondo and strava because these are the apps I use. I've been using endomondo for a while now and have a lot of history in there. I like the way it records and cumulative stats and the challenges. I've just started using strava and I really like the segments feature. I can run both apps side by side on my android phone but I just think it would be easier if one app would share the workout with both sites.

Strava
  • ukmkh
    ukmkh Posts: 21
    So who is going to write this app for us :D That's the one thing I think I would like Strava to do, ability to add routes so that we can challenge our own times. That's why I use Cyclemeter (which has no social sharing features at all). I think I should give endomondo a go.Ta.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It's certainly possible, just requires someone to have the time and resources to do it. I'd do it, but lack the time. The bulk of the work would be in writing yet another tracking app. An independent GPS app that does tracking but no web service may be approachable to add a service to upload to all of these services.

Possible problems
    - do all the services have an API to upload with?
    - do their licences allow another tracker app to sit on top of their API?
    - will you be able to match the tracking functionality and accuracy of the other apps? i.e. some essentially are just tracking and can produce a GPX of that. Some may do some in-app adjustments and corrections. Others (like Strava I believe) do the corrections on the web site instead.

One thing though, if it uploads to Strava it must not do any kind of auto pause during the tracking. This screws up Strava segments especially on slow climbs and lost signal areas (the GPX won't show that it's paused so Strava assumes you kept going and gives you a KOM instead. Nice, but screws up leaderboards with false data). Other apps it doesn't matter, but it's crucial for Strava segments.

I see the benefit, but I'd want a cracking good tracking app really that's focus is on high quality tracking and corrections. That's why I use Endomondo for tracking at present because Strava's own tracking is making bad errors on my Droid device, so I track to Endomondo, export, import to Sports Tracks 3 to correct elevation (phone issue with altitude), then import to Strava (Strava does correct elevation but not as well).

Easier would be a tool on the desktop that takes a GPX and uploads it to other sites. Then just use what you like on the phone.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Perhaps i'm missing the point here... why not just buy a Garmin? - I have no knowledge of Edmondo, but once you have the data surely it's possible to upload the resulting GPX file to any website you like...

The feature i'd like to see on Strava is something similar to the Garmin training centre where you can download a GPX file (segment) and race against it in real time, that would be interesting.
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    thought stravia gave you a Personal best on a route that you re do?
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    pilch wrote:
    Perhaps i'm missing the point here... why not just buy a Garmin? -
    Because they're not exactly cheap?
    I have no knowledge of Edmondo, but once you have the data surely it's possible to upload the resulting GPX file to any website you like...
    Yep, you can download the gpx from the endomondo site and do what you want with it.
    The feature i'd like to see on Strava is something similar to the Garmin training centre where you can download a GPX file (segment) and race against it in real time, that would be interesting.

You can (kind of) do this in endomondo. Mine seemed to not work most of the time though. IT would list the previous best as, for example, 11.45miles, 39m:40s. Then show my ride that I'd just completed as 11.41 miles, 42m:21s.

Then say "Congratulations, you're the new route champion"

:?

I've got a Garmin now, I like the fact that you plug it in, go to strava.com, click 'upload from Garmin' and do the same on endomondo, no faffing about getting the file off the garmin first.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • oodboo
    It was just an idea, I don't want to have to buy a garmin and I don't want to have to go to each site to manually upload. I just want my phone to do it all for me. I didn't think that was asking too much but seemingly it is. I continue running two apps at a time for each ride and let them upload results automatically.

Strava
  • Anonymous
    edited May 2012
    It's not too much. Just someone has to put the time in really. One for the kids to knock up as they have the time and like working for free :wink:

It's always never as simple as you think though with software.

Oh and what phones?
  • pilch
    bails87 wrote:
    pilch wrote:

Not badly priced herehttp://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/6399/garmin-edge-705-heart-rate-monitor-noh

I got one for my other half, although it says 'reconditioned' you would never know + 1 years full guarantee

I know some people would rather spend their money on other stuff, but this is the best tool for the job by far

29er race

29er bouncer
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I've got an outdoor mapping app on my winphone, which can send GPX and KML files to Dropbox. You still have to go to endomondo to import the GPX file, but surely it seems like a handy stopgap?
    There must be something like that available on your phone.
  • bails87
    pilch wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    pilch wrote:

Not badly priced herehttp://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/6399/garmin-edge-705-heart-rate-monitor-noh
    Still almost £200, compared to £2-£3 for an app.
    MTB/CX

• pilch
    bails87 wrote:
    pilch wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    pilch wrote:

True, outrageous to spend almost £200 for something to go on your bike :wink:

29er race

29er bouncer
  • joenobody
    joenobody Posts: 563
    bails87 wrote:
    Yep, you can download the gpx from the endomondo site and do what you want with it.
    I don't know about Endomondo, but I export gpx files from Strava and import them in to RunKeeper (and have done that the other way round too).
  • YeehaaMcgee
    bails87 wrote:
    pilch wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    pilch wrote:

And er... how much was the phone?
  • bails87
    bails87 wrote:
    pilch wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    pilch wrote:

And er... how much was the phone?
    But he's already got the phone.....
    MTB/CX

• YeehaaMcgee
    He has now, yes. But if he had a Garmin, then he'd already have that.
  • bails87
    He has now, yes. But if he had a Garmin, then he'd already have that.
    Your powers of deduction are incredible. :wink:
    MTB/CX

• Anonymous
    The phone is still fairly crap at tracking compared to the Garmin. That's why there are so many inaccuracies and false KOMs on Strava. They were designed for saying where you are and car navigation, not fine detailed sports tracking.

Question though is whether you think it's worth paying hundreds for a Garmin when you have a workable if inaccurate GPS on your phone. I'm not sure I'm serious enough to buy one.

Also a Garmin won't do what the OP wants. It's no phone so can't upload anything at all without plugging it into a PC first and then you'd still have to export the GPX files and import into each web site.

Am thinking an easier app is one that lets you use one of your existing tracking apps, but it can grab the GPX off the app and upload that to a selection of sites. That would be easier but need to find a tracking app that actually stores the GPX on the device. Endomondo and Strava I think send the data to their web sites and only then can you export. Sports Tracker not sure. It could export on old Nokia phones but not sure it stores the file without having to press the export button first.
  • bails87
    Garmin is 'integrated' on Strava and Endomondo. You just plug the garmin into your computer, go on each website, click 'upload from Garmin' and it does it. No need to get the gpx file off the device first.
    MTB/CX

• oodboo
    bails87 wrote:
    Garmin is 'integrated' on Strava and Endomondo. You just plug the garmin into your computer, go on each website, click 'upload from Garmin' and it does it. No need to get the gpx file off the device first.

I don't want a Garmin. It's an extra device to buy, buy maps for, keep charged, not lose, etc.

When you run apps on your phone you just finish the ride and it automatically uploads. No need to switch on a PC, connect device to PC, log on to website, click upload. The garmin might be a good GPS and the upload method might be simple enough but as I'm not too bothered about the accuracy of the GPS and I am bothered about the simplicity of the upload then I just want an app that can upload to more than one site when I click finish.

From the responses there seems to be few people who use more than one tracking app on their phone so it's not just me. I think there's a market for an app like this but I think the major stumbling block would be getting agreement from sites like endomondo and strava, etc to allow you to upload from an app that isn't theirs.

Strava
  • bails87
    oodboo: Sorry, I'm not suggesting that you buy a Garmin, I was just replying to deadkenny's comment
    Also a Garmin won't do what the OP wants. It's no phone so can't upload anything at all without plugging it into a PC first and then you'd still have to export the GPX files and import into each web site

Up until a couple of weeks ago I was running strava and endo at the same time too. I agree it would be useful, but surely it would require cooperation between the makers of competing apps?
    MTB/CX

• YeehaaMcgee
    oodboo wrote:
    I'm not too bothered about the accuracy of the GPS
    This is something that saddens me about the smartphone obsession these days.
    Nobody seems to actually want the "best" anything anymore, they'll make do with a substandard one because they can get one device that does most things merely adequately.
    Want a weatherproof, shockproof GPS that will survive anny conditions out in the hills? No, it's ok, I'll have a £400 phone instead which may break in extreme conditions, and may not offer as much accuracy and has terrible battery life. Because it also takes mediocre pictures.
  • oodboo
    Want a weatherproof, shockproof GPS that will survive anny conditions out in the hills? No, it's ok, I'll have a £400 phone instead which may break in extreme conditions, and may not offer as much accuracy and has terrible battery life. Because it also takes mediocre pictures.
    Yup :D

It's enough for what I do. I track my rides to work and when I can get out on my bike for fun then it's usually just for a couple of hours round a trail centre or the local woods. When the kids are older and more self sufficient then I might be able to get out of long rides in the wilderness but for the foreseable future I'm quite happy just carrying my phone. It does enough, it does it well enough and the battery lasts long enough. My current SE Xperia X10 has survived offs and getting soaked in my pocket but I'm due an upgrade so I think I'll be getting something that's either designed as rugged or getting a protective case for it.
    Nobody seems to actually want the "best" anything anymore
    If that was the case then I wouldn't have spent so much on my bike :wink:

Strava
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    oodboo wrote:
    I'm not too bothered about the accuracy of the GPS
    This is something that saddens me about the smartphone obsession these days.
    Nobody seems to actually want the "best" anything anymore, they'll make do with a substandard one because they can get one device that does most things merely adequately.

Yes but hopefully the big guys will see our desires and the future ( which moves rather rapidly with these things) will bring smart phones with,
    HR glasses interface so I don't have to look at some dumb tiny screen for map reading ... or movies or text etc
    Gps that can track you when you deviate off a line to take a whizz (the police will love this)
    Hd camera... put the lens on the glasses as well
    Basically a smart phone which works through glasses, all totally water, impact, and space proof.
    I give it 5 years, much likely less before this becomes a reality , its already started.
    Don't think, BE:
  • Anonymous
    Accuracy sucks, but the Galaxy S2 is one rugged little beast even though it looks fragile and would cope with being rained on (certainly copes with mud, have tested that). Pictures are also pretty good for a phone (and has actual focus unlike the trend now for EDoF cameras, *cough* Nokia!) and shoots HD video. No match for a good compact or SLR sure, but it's miles better than a lot of phones.

But yeah, GPS... bit poor in my experience. It's not intended for bikes . Though there's a hack for the GPS chip that involves rooting the phone to turn off the low speed filter. Not tried it. And then the battery does suck too. Blame people who want super thin phones.
  • hard-rider
    hard-rider Posts: 460
    I don't know if Strava and Endomondo have the facility to allow tracks to be imported via e-mail like some other services do but if so, then Oruxmaps allows you to send your gpx tracklogs from within the app via e-mail to multiple recipients simultaneously.
    But yeah, GPS... bit poor in my experience. It's not intended for bikes . Though there's a hack for the GPS chip that involves rooting the phone to turn off the low speed filter. Not tried it. And then the battery does suck too. Blame people who want super thin phones.
    Whilst I use a phone, Galaxy S2, for my track logging, I use an external BT GPS receiver which is much more accurate and also doesn't chew the phones battery so I can go for a whole day without worries of running out of juice on the phone.
  • Anonymous
    hard-rider wrote:
    I don't know if Strava and Endomondo have the facility to allow tracks to be imported via e-mail like some other services do but if so, then Oruxmaps allows you to send your gpx tracklogs from within the app via e-mail to multiple recipients simultaneously.
    You can email your GPX files to Strava to import, and can bulk import them that way. That's an idea. Need to be able to set the subject as think it identified the account based on that.
    Yeah, I tried that but turns out the chip in my old BT GPS is the same as the one in the S2. Again there's a way of turning off the low speed filter but yet to work out how to do it and think it resets every time you switch it off. However the antenna in it is better and it's more accurate when in motion, better altitude data. Just when slow or stopped that it can be a problem.

Also struggling to get the S2 to use the thing. Tried a few BT GPS apps but not all apps will see the GPS. Was never a problem with my old Nokia.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Ah,the old Nokia phones. Widely derided for not being an iPhone, or running android, but thoroughly capable in many many ways.