Cleats & SPD, please clarify!

johnnicebutdim
johnnicebutdim Posts: 99
edited May 2012 in MTB beginners
Can someone explain to me about SPD pedals, shoes and cleats?

Do you have to have cleats with SPD pedals? Do all SPD shoes come with cleats?

Can you get SPD pedals & shoes without the need for cleats?

Confused....

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    1 yes
    2 never
    3 they are called flat pedals.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    nicklouse wrote:
    2 never

Urmm... my SPD shoes came with cleats...
  • nicklouse
    TwellySmat wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    2 never

Urmm... my SPD shoes came with cleats...
    they should come with the pedals or how do they know which pedals you have.

cleats come with pedals not shoes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Twelly
    I know I got a set of cleats with the last set of pedals I bought but before that but I'm fairly sure the cleats that are on my shoes at the mo came in the box with the shoes. Was a while ago though so you may be right.
  • So....

on the basis that cleats come with pedals, what shoes do you need, SPD or will cleats fit any shoe?

This is why I asked the question in the first place, I haven't a clue about this.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,498
    There are lots of kinds of cleat / pedal combinations - SPD being one. Others being SPD-SL, look, speedplay etc

So if you buy SPD shoes then they may come with SPD cleats which will work with SPD pedals.

Some SPD pedals have one side for the cleat and the other side that's flat so you can use regular shoes, like Shimano A530.
  • Twelly
    I was just as unsure as you are when I first went clipless so I bought all Shimano to be safe. Shimano M077 shoes, M520 pedals and the cleats came with one of the two. This was also one of the cheapest set ups I could find and the shoes and pedals have done everything I want them to.

Easy clip in/unclip, stiff sole, comfortable shoe and the shoes don't look too bad either
  • I'm asking as I'm buying a Boardman comp MTB to do the C2C (Tim Woodcock route) and I need the best gear for the job. As one of the options when buying is SPD pedals, I thought I'd get some advice. When I looked at Shimano pedals and shoes on Halfords website, no mention was made of cleats so I wondered where they fitted into the equation. Cleats seem to be an option with SPD shoes and pedals, is that right?
  • Thanks 'Singleton', that helps!
  • nicklouse
    Cleats seem to be an option with SPD shoes and pedals, is that right?
    no cleats come with peadls. shoes do not as you may not be using a cleat system compatible withn the supplied cleats but as there is a standard for the fitting to the shoes pedal makers supply cleats to fit their system which will fit any MTB SPD compatible shoe.

SPD stands for Shimano Pedaling Dynamics.
  • Ok, think I've got it!

Thanks for all the responses.
  • oh, sorry, one last question, bearing in mind I'm doing the C2C as mentioned above, does anyone have a specific recommendation on reasonable priced pedal/cleat/shoe combinations?
  • Twelly
  • Thanks TwellySmat, I think I can manage to afford those.

ChainReaction Cycles seems to be a favourite with lots of people!
  • nicklouse
    Thanks TwellySmat, I think I can manage to afford those.

ChainReaction Cycles seems to be a favourite with lots of people!
    but how do you know that they will fit your feet.

get down to your LBS to find some comfortable shoes.

Or be in pain.
  • Good point as I do have feet like hobbits - wide fitting!
  • Twelly
    Good point as I do have feet like hobbits - wide fitting!

I have long, narrow feet and the M077 fit me perfectly so maybe not the right choice for you then. As said, go and try some on. I gambled and bought mine from CRC last year without trying them. Best purchase I have made for my riding. Guess I was lucky with the fit.
  • guess you were lucky but in my case, because of my hobbits feet, I will take Nicklouses' advice and head to a local bike shop.

Thanks for the help.

and... I now know what SPD stands for! Gotta be worth the post just for that!
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Still best to get the pedals online - my LBS bloke says he can't even buy them for the prices some people sell the M520 online.
  • I think it would be wiser in my case to source the shoes that fit locally and then maybe get the pedals online although Halfords offer the Shimano PDM540 pedal at discount when you buy the Boarman comp MTB.
  • Twelly
    Will have to be a big discount then. The 540's are £46 from Halfords whereas the 520's are £20 from CRC

Both will do the same job but the 540's are 100g lighter.
  • nicklouse
    many shops will do a deal if you buy both at the same time so ask before buying anything.
  • A staggering £9.24 discount when bought as a bundle.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    many shops will do a deal if you buy both at the same time so ask before buying anything.

NOTED!
  • Twelly
    520's from CRC then.

Unless you can get them free with bike or shoes.

I would expect them to swap the pedals with no extra charge if I was buying a whole bike. Did this with my road bike no problem.
  • TwellySmat wrote:
    I would expect them to swap the pedals with no extra charge if I was buying a whole bike. Did this with my road bike no problem.

Yes, especially as I have lots of other stuff I need to get like helmet, tools, pump, hydration bacpack etc - I think a decent discount is in order!
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,498
    Still best to get the pedals online - my LBS bloke says he can't even buy them for the prices some people sell the M520 online.

Well, he could buy them for exactly the price that people sell them for online........
  • Singleton wrote:

Well, he could buy them for exactly the price that people sell them for online........

LOL....you can't fault the logic!
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    That he could. But don't forget the shoe leather cost.
  • All comes down to purchasing power at the end of the day - online outlets can buy in bigger quantities.