Pro team kits

13»

Comments

• t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Are you saying that a pro rider is a more important road user than the rest of us? Doeesn't matter what you cycle in,nothing warrants dangerous driving pro or amateur.

Should we all go buy pro kit so we get more respect from other road users?
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    andy46 wrote:
    Been out this morning in my HTC jersey and I don't know if it's just round here but people in cars seem to give me more room when I'm in team kit.

Does anyone else find this?

Maybe they don't want to knock a pro rider off their bike :lol:

Was part of your route from neasham village to girsby? If so i was one of the cars. Nothing to do with team kit i just saw someone sweating up a hill and thought i would make room just in case :wink:
  • xtc_special
    xtc_special Posts: 130
    Simmotino wrote:
    Tom Dean wrote:
    :lol: what did he say to you and what were you wearing?

I can't remember which kit it was for certain, but I'm fairly sure it was a Cofidis kit.

We acknowledged as we passed and about 200 yards further up the road, he was alongside and the conversation went something along the lines of

Him: "Out training without the rest of the team?"
    Me: "Sorry?"
    Him: (pointing at the jersey) "Ride for Cofidis do you?"
    Me: "Errrr, no. Surely the gut and panting give that away?"
    Him: "So why wear the kit then? You look a ****"
    Me: *fits of giggles*

I just kept laughing at him (or trying to through my gasping!) until he shook his head and rode off muttering to himself.

I've seen him several times since and he now won't acknowledge me. Mind you, I did see him coming once so zipped up the jersey and threw my arms in the air just as I got to him, a la stage win. Might have something to do with it! :mrgreen:
    Rofl at that one, would have said yes the rest of the team are just behind me!
    2014 Ribble Gran Fondo
    2009 Rockhopper Comp
  • turnstyle
    turnstyle Posts: 63
    The Sky pro team shirts we got from Adidas and the replicas are completely different. The lycra is different and the fit is far more body hugging and about 1000x better.

Because it's our club jersey, we wear it during sportives, and some of the guys have ex pro Dogmas too. Most people don't care, but one certain London based club did. It wasn't abuse, but it was a bit tiring after the 10th time hearing "Wiggo isn't going to save you now" after i snapped my chain. I make it my duty to drop every single one of them when i see their club jersey now =)
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    andy46 wrote:
    Been out this morning in my HTC jersey and I don't know if it's just round here but people in cars seem to give me more room when I'm in team kit.

Does anyone else find this?

Maybe they don't want to knock a pro rider off their bike :lol:

Was part of your route from neasham village to girsby? If so i was one of the cars. Nothing to do with team kit i just saw someone sweating up a hill and thought i would make room just in case :wink:

No not me, although I was knackered when I got home. :lol: Pretty cold too early this morning!
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Are you saying that a pro rider is a more important road user than the rest of us? Doeesn't matter what you cycle in,nothing warrants dangerous driving pro or amateur.

No, I'm not saying that at all. It was just an observation from personal experience :roll:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    andy46 wrote:

No, I'm not saying that at all. It was just an observation from personal experience :roll:

Roll-eyes or not, it might be a good idea. I've been thinking that a hi-vis top is best and withstood the 'abuse' from the LBS regardless, but perhaps wearing a pro top gives an air of authority on the road. Not that it bothers me to upset a driver or two if I think it's necessary...
  • Its a bad club then in my opinion they should welcome everybody regardless of what you wear. Its a good step to turn up at a club so they should be happy to have another rider in the ranks. Wear what you want mate.
  • burtie
    burtie Posts: 154
    Anyone takes the piss out of me I'll turn around and stick to there back wheel until there are fucked and then take them out with my mini pump.
  • Raffles
    Raffles Posts: 1,137
    From reading this thread, if I saw another cyclist wearing a jersey like team radioshack or something like that, and I screeched on the brakes and rode alongside hassling that rider for wearing it, id fully expect ,and deservedly so, to be on the receiving end of a boot in the balls. How dare some jumped up egotist try to rule the roost and tell another rider what he is and isnt allowed to wear..........just beggars belief that there are cyclists just like that out there :roll:
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105
  • dindi_boy
    dindi_boy Posts: 24
    Raffles wrote:
    From reading this thread, if I saw another cyclist wearing a jersey like team radioshack or something like that, and I screeched on the brakes and rode alongside hassling that rider for wearing it, id fully expect ,and deservedly so, to be on the receiving end of a boot in the balls. How dare some jumped up egotist try to rule the roost and tell another rider what he is and isnt allowed to wear..........just beggars belief that there are cyclists just like that out there :roll:

Totally agree! I've been following this thread over the past couple of days and I am stunned at the sheer arrogance of someone behaving like this. It didn't stop me wearing my Sky jersey yesterday and I'm pleased to read how appalled other people on here are by this. Wear what you want, that's what I say!
  • Gavcb
    Gavcb Posts: 11
    Been riding for six months and have just bought the new radioshack kit despite some of the experiences in this thread. Under no illusions that i'm a pro or that i'm even very good but I certainly don't see how I have to 'earn' the right to wear it. I'm not even a fan of the team but it's a nice kit, matches my red an black trek and is much better quality than the altura stuff that I got for the same price when I started out. If any smart arses don't like it as they drop me in the peaks it's their problem not mine..... Finding the racier cut a bit snug tho :shock:
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    RoyPSB wrote:
    Name the club - we all want to know. They sound like a bloody disgrace.

+1
    Being from that area, I'd love to know the club!

I know a bike is harder to spot but people don't seem to have to justify having a good bike as opposed to wearing team kit.
    I've got retro tops, PDM/Z, but I'm usually in club kit. If team kit is what might have that person into the sport then we should be glad of it!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,732
    Gavcb wrote:
    Been riding for six months and have just bought the new radioshack kit despite some of the experiences in this thread. Under no illusions that i'm a pro or that i'm even very good but I certainly don't see how I have to 'earn' the right to wear it. I'm not even a fan of the team but it's a nice kit, matches my red an black trek and is much better quality than the altura stuff that I got for the same price when I started out. If any smart arses don't like it as they drop me in the peaks it's their problem not mine..... Finding the racier cut a bit snug tho :shock:

More fun to drop them though ;). Nothing takes the lead out of a whiney cyclist's pencil than dropping them after their moan - preferably whilst breathing through your skin :D.
  • calmx5
    calmx5 Posts: 230
    andy46 wrote:
    Since going along to the Durham round of the Halfords tour series and watching the rest on tv, I quite liked the look of the Rapha Condor jersey... till I saw the price :shock:

It's almost 3x the price of a SKY top! Why is there such a difference?

Here it is,

http://www.rapha.cc/rapha-condor-sharp-jersey

Yeah, this is because the Rapha Condor tops are exact replicas of the team tops - same materials, team microphone loops etc. - although still expensive. However while tops such as the Sky ones are good visual replicas, they are often not made of the same technical fabrics and do not have the team accssesories. They just look the same. :) But yeah, I share the WChamp views, but I actually really like the new olympic kit. Excellent friendly banter on the above video.
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    I like the team kits more so for their visual properties, i find them to be more noticeable than an ordinary plain cycling jersey when out on the roads. I also just wear them because they look smart and effectively have the build of a pro cyclist and as such don't look too out of place wearing one.
    I certainly wouldn't have a go at someone else wearing kit, unless for some light-hearted banter perhaps.
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Unlike football and many other sports. Pro cycling doesn't generate any revenue directly from spectators. By buying trade gear, you are actually supporting the sport in a small way.
    A couple of years ago, I went to the Tour series in Southport. I bought a Tour series jersey specifically because I felt I was supporting the event and I liked it.
  • harrydaisy
    harrydaisy Posts: 131
    Really interesting views...I think you should name and shame said cycling club.

I think you should wear what ever makes you feel special on a bike whether it's dhb, Rapha, or the latest sky kit, we are all individual and entitled to our own opinions.
    Wilier Izoard XP "Petacchi"/ Campag Veloce/ Fulcrum Racing 5
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7/ Campag Xenon
  • ilovebigwig
    ilovebigwig Posts: 118
    I have voiced my general unease with amateurs wearing team kits previously, however as a man on a budget* I have to admit I recently purchased a team jersey as it was reduced and was of a higher quality than the similarly priced non-team wear available. I would much prefer to wear a classy full Castelli or Rapha outfit but economics** prohibit this.

*I have a girlfriend who likes going out for dinner on an almost daily basis and on expensive holidays every other week
    **See *
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    I have voiced my general unease with amateurs wearing team kits previously, however as a man on a budget* I have to admit I recently purchased a team jersey as it was reduced and was of a higher quality than the similarly priced non-team wear available. I would much prefer to wear a classy full Castelli or Rapha outfit but economics** prohibit this.

*I have a girlfriend who likes going out for dinner on an almost daily basis and on expensive holidays every other week
    **See *

you sir.... sound like a douche..... :roll:

So does this mean i'm not aloud to wear my Nottingham Forest shirt? Or my England Shirt because i'm an amateur footballer, not a pro who actually plays for the club??

give me a break... as a beginner road cyclist people like you put me right off the sport and it actually makes me embarrass to be part of the same sport as such fickle and vein people such as yourself...

Sorry, but i'm going to wear what the hell I want... And I urge everyone else to do the same...

And if I hear anyone else while in my vicinity belittle someone due to what they are wearing... they will get a punch in the face from me... ( as what nearly happened to some bloke at an XC race last year who said everyone wearing "baggy shorts" should start from the back.... Lets just say he ended up somewhat red faced infront of all his mates that day... )

that is all
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • harrydaisy
    harrydaisy Posts: 131

Ha ha....your joking right?

If your not perhaps you can walk over hot coals once you get back from any ride where you have been wearing your team jersey as a form of punishment :wink:
    Wilier Izoard XP "Petacchi"/ Campag Veloce/ Fulcrum Racing 5
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7/ Campag Xenon
  • ilovebigwig
    Rushmore wrote:

**See *

So does this mean i'm not aloud to wear my Nottingham Forest shirt? Or my England Shirt because i'm an amateur footballer, not a pro who actually plays for the club??

give me a break... as a beginner road cyclist people like you put me right off the sport and it actually makes me embarrass to be part of the same sport as such fickle and vein people such as yourself...

Sorry, but i'm going to wear what the hell I want... And I urge everyone else to do the same...

And if I hear anyone else while in my vicinity belittle someone due to what they are wearing... they will get a punch in the face from me... ( as what nearly happened to some bloke at an XC race last year who said everyone wearing "baggy shorts" should start from the back.... Lets just say he ended up somewhat red faced infront of all his mates that day... )

that is all

I don't really understand your point? Who are you angry with? Yes, I think wearing team kits generally looks a bit silly but I don't really care what you wear, I am just stating what I prefer to.
  • Raffles
    Raffles Posts: 1,137
    Rushmore wrote:

**See *

that is all

I don't really understand your point? Who are you angry with? Yes, I think wearing team kits generally looks a bit silly but I don't really care what you wear, I am just stating what I prefer to.

There are things I think are silly, but I make it a point not to unload my opinions onto those with differring points of view because I dont think I have a god given right to pass judgement on others. It saddens me to say this, but you are an idiot, and I hope im never in a cycling club in which has you as a member of a clique with similar prejudices and full of self opinionated nonsense which the rest of the club has to endure.

Sorry, but I believe that needed saying.
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    Raffles wrote:
    Rushmore wrote:

**See *

that is all

There are things I think are silly, but I make it a point not to unload my opinions onto those with differring points of view because I dont think I have a god given right to pass judgement on others. It saddens me to say this, but you are an idiot, and I hope im never in a cycling club in which has you as a member of a clique with similar prejudices and full of self opinionated nonsense which the rest of the club has to endure.

WHAT HE SAID.
  • ilovebigwig
    Raffles wrote:
    Rushmore wrote:

**See *

that is all

So, let me get this straight. You guys can have your opinion, but I can't have mine? Seems like double standards to me. What prejudices have I expressed, that I think something looks a bit silly? I think this is just a difference in opinion.

I would suggest that calling someone an idiot and saying that you would punch them if they voiced their opinion on something as trivial a lycra t-shirt is ridiculous.
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    So, let me get this straight. You guys can have your opinion, but I can't have mine? Seems like double standards to me. What prejudices have I expressed, that I think something looks a bit silly? I think this is just a difference in opinion.

I would suggest that calling someone an idiot and saying that you would punch them if they voiced their opinion on something as trivial a lycra t-shirt is ridiculous.

Before I get flamed I have not read the full thread but just going off the last couple of pages.

ilovebigwig IMO thats what forums are for to voice an opinion, would you physically turn around from your route to go and tell someone you didnt know that what they shouldnt be wearing a team top though? If so then I wouldnt see anything wrong with getting something back but most would just go on their way without saying anything. Everyone is entitled to an opinion

When I first started cycling again I was very much the same and undecided whether I could wear team kit and put it down to the small community that cycling is but as previously stated many people wear football team kit and nothing is said (unless its something like wearing a ManU top in Liverpool etc :wink: ).

Think the OP has just had bad luck, I recently turned up to a race evening to see what went on in a 1990's Fausto Coppi jersey and not a single comment was made. TBH they were very welcoming and even invited me to race riding my old chromo framed road bike and invited me along to the 10mile TT the next evening.

If people want to wear team kit then so be it, if I saw one I liked then I would wear it too :) be it Sky, Lotto, Greenedge, AG2R etc. With the increased revenue it can only help the sport but you will find there will always be diehard cyclists who want to keep their little communities to themselves while not thinking about the bigger picture. As revenue/publicity for cycling increases more manufacturers will get involved and possibly bigger discounts passed to the consumers.

'dons tin hat and hides :oops: '
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I'll admit I didn't think it sensible to wear team kit - especially when you have to walk up some hills (yup - seen the photos - it is quite amusing! ;) ) - Not that I would admonish anyone for wearing what they wanted to - a light hearted joke to someone I knew would be the most I'd give!

Now, having read this thread it does seem quite tempting to buy some team kit - not only to get some better quality kit - but to wind up those who are so against wearing it ..
    I might have to doctor my GPS so it constantly gives trip logs of 200+ miles and give excuses like "I'm just waiting for Cav to finish his business in the bushes" ... ;)
    Still not sure I could walk up a hill though ... :o
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Thing is... There is a difference between having an opinion and ridiculing someone with snidely comments...

It borders on bullying which I hate to see...

Ive always stood up for what is right in terms of how I feel others should be treated..

Respect everyone.. If you don't like what they are wearing then go cry to your mom about it...

Ps don't flip this round saying that because I've said this I'm being hippacritical on the respect front.. I respect people who let others make their own choices, but not people who tell others what to do to "fit in"
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • ilovebigwig
    Obviously the moron first mentioned at the very start of this is just that, and what I have tried to say is that there is not simply two views here (one pro-pro kit the other vehimently against). I don't like them particulalry, but I wouldn't bother slating someone if they wore one in the same way that I would not have a go at someone's jeans in a pub if I didn't like them (the jeans, not the person).
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,732
    Think we've covered both sides of the argument.

Name calling won't be tolerated.

Thread locked.
This discussion has been closed.