Pro team kits

Comments

• Sicario
    Sicario Posts: 25
    Can someone help me here. I am clearly missing something!

I am brand new to all of "this" so I am clearly missing something.

I want to just buy a top I like the look of, and wear it. So what is a World Champ top and why can't I wear it? If they are for sale, why can't I purchase?

I quite like the look of the Corn Flake & Marmite tops, it is a bit of light hearted fun but if I am going to get the cycling world hate me for wearing a top I like I'd like some "Do"s and "Don't"s.

So what exactly is a World Champ top?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    Sicario wrote:

I want to just buy a top I like the look of, and wear it. So what is a World Champ top and why can't I wear it? If they are for sale, why can't I purchase?

I quite like the look of the Corn Flake & Marmite tops, it is a bit of light hearted fun but if I am going to get the cycling world hate me for wearing a top I like I'd like some "Do"s and "Don't"s.

Wear whatever you like.

When someone is crowned world champion (like Mark Cavendish), they wear the Rainbow jersey to signify they are world champion - rather like the Yellow Jersey indicates you are the overall leader at the Tour de France.

Some people get sniffy about wearing jerseys that are 'won' by professionals - since they feel those jerseys hold a special significance which is eroded if anyone can wear them. Some people even take this as far as any replica professional kit.

In reality, everyone knows you're not Cav.

It's created lot of heated debate on here - but it's safe to say that you can wear what you want!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Sicario wrote:

If you see it and like it wear it. I wouldn't wear a rainbow jersey purely because I dont actually really like it. SHOCK HORROR. Saying that I would be tempted to get a cav top next year dependning on what he does with the decals on the shirt. I imagine it wont be much, hes been understated this year, maybe just collar or on of the sky letters.
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    Wear what you want, do you ask people what to wear out on a Saturday night?

Who gives a toss what people think. Everyone has their own ideas and opinions.

I wear Assos, Rapha, Castelli et al. I also wear some pro team kit, if it looks good wear it I say.

My own personal no-no's are the World Champ top and the/a yellow jersey (or associated jerseys) for reasons indicated above.

Btw the club you rode with sound like a bunch of twats.
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • scottarm
    scottarm Posts: 119
    If that's a bit pricey how about this

http://www.cycling-monton.com/2012-New-Style-Vacansoleil-CYCLING-JERSEY-SIZE-S-3XL-p-2545.html[/quote]

£17 is a bit too good to be true i take it they are fake, has anybody bought from them? whats the quality like?
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    edited May 2012
    scottarm wrote:

£17 is a bit too good to be true i take it they are fake, has anybody bought from them? whats the quality like?[/quote]

Yes, they're fake and the reason I put it up is that I just bought one albeit an Omega Pharma Quickstep one with matching bib shorts for £28. The quality is surprisingly good, I've only used mine about 3 times so far but it looks and feels like a quality jersey. I didn't want to spend £60 or £70 quid on the proper replica when it'll be out of date in 6 months. The only issue is delivery I waited 3 weeks for mine.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Sicario
    Sicario Posts: 25
    Sicario wrote:

Wear whatever you like.

When someone is crowned world champion (like Mark Cavendish), they wear the Rainbow jersey to signify they are world champion - rather like the Yellow Jersey indicates you are the overall leader at the Tour de France.

Some people get sniffy about wearing jerseys that are 'won' by professionals - since they feel those jerseys hold a special significance which is eroded if anyone can wear them. Some people even take this as far as any replica professional kit.

It's created lot of heated debate on here - but it's safe to say that you can wear what you want!

This makes a lot of sense now.

Thank you for the explanation :)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Wear whatever you like.

Additionally - the Rainbow jersey is a trademark owned by the UCI. They decide how it is used. What they have decided is that if you enter a UCI sanctioned event, you need to have earned the right to wear it; fair enough, no arguments there. Outside of official race events, the use of the jersey is controlled by licensing. ie UCI have chosen to licence the rainbow jersey commercially. Or, to put it another way, UCI want you to wear a rainbow jersey as they get paid for it. They made a commercial decision to licence the design and nobody forced them to do it. If the more anal out there get offended by you wearing a rainbow jersey you could always suggest they find another racing organisation to race under whose standards are more in keeping with their own! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • outcastjack
    outcastjack Posts: 237
    andy46 wrote:
    Since going along to the Durham round of the Halfords tour series and watching the rest on tv, I quite liked the look of the Rapha Condor jersey... till I saw the price :shock:

It's almost 3x the price of a SKY top! Why is there such a difference?

Here it is,

http://www.rapha.cc/rapha-condor-sharp-jersey

The price difference will be Rapha vs Addidas.
  • rick_chasey
    andy46 wrote:
    Since going along to the Durham round of the Halfords tour series and watching the rest on tv, I quite liked the look of the Rapha Condor jersey... till I saw the price :shock:

It's almost 3x the price of a SKY top! Why is there such a difference?

Here it is,

http://www.rapha.cc/rapha-condor-sharp-jersey

The price difference will be Rapha vs Addidas.

Rapha is a top end clothing brand. About as expensive as it gets. Just like bikes, you get expensive kit too.

The top you get from rapha is likely to be exactly the same as the ones used (though perhaps not quite the same fit ;)). Most replica jerseys are not the same actual jersey, usually only the same design.
  • Simmotino
    Simmotino Posts: 295
    The standard response from me when it happens (and I've even had a guy turn round and catch me up just to have a moan when out riding :roll: ) is to laugh. Profusely.

They soon get the hint! :mrgreen:
  • rick_chasey
    Simmotino wrote:
    The standard response from me when it happens (and I've even had a guy turn round and catch me up just to have a moan when out riding :roll: ) is to laugh. Profusely.

Christ.

facepalm.jpg
  • Simmotino
    Christ.

facepalm.jpg

Quite! :lol:
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Simmotino wrote:

:lol: what did he say to you and what were you wearing?
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    Name the club - we all want to know. They sound like a bloody disgrace.
  • Simmotino
    Tom Dean wrote:
    :lol: what did he say to you and what were you wearing?

I can't remember which kit it was for certain, but I'm fairly sure it was a Cofidis kit.

We acknowledged as we passed and about 200 yards further up the road, he was alongside and the conversation went something along the lines of

Him: "Out training without the rest of the team?"
    Me: "Sorry?"
    Him: (pointing at the jersey) "Ride for Cofidis do you?"
    Me: "Errrr, no. Surely the gut and panting give that away?"
    Him: "So why wear the kit then? You look a ****"
    Me: *fits of giggles*

I just kept laughing at him (or trying to through my gasping!) until he shook his head and rode off muttering to himself.

I've seen him several times since and he now won't acknowledge me. Mind you, I did see him coming once so zipped up the jersey and threw my arms in the air just as I got to him, a la stage win. Might have something to do with it! :mrgreen:
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Most replica jerseys are not the same actual jersey, usually only the same design.

Interestingly enough this was always my opinion about footy kit too but when I did a backstage tour at Stamford Bridge one of the ex-pros guiding us (yes, it was an expensive corporate thing) assured us that there was no difference between the actual players kit and the shirts in the shop.

Looking at the pro-cyclists stuff, Castelli do state "This is the jersey the Garmin Barracuda pro tour team are wearing in the UCI pro tour series in 2012" in reference to their Garmin Aero top, so any other differences must be minor (as in full length zip instead of 3/4, etc.).
  • rick_chasey
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Most replica jerseys are not the same actual jersey, usually only the same design.

Interestingly enough this was always my opinion about footy kit too but when I did a backstage tour at Stamford Bridge one of the ex-pros guiding us (yes, it was an expensive corporate thing) assured us that there was no difference between the actual players kit and the shirts in the shop.

Looking at the pro-cyclists stuff, Castelli do state "This is the jersey the Garmin Barracuda pro tour team are wearing in the UCI pro tour series in 2012" in reference to their Garmin Aero top, so any other differences must be minor (as in full length zip instead of 3/4, etc.).

For sure, you can get them, but they're harder to find/more expensive.

I'm pretty sure my 2008 QS top for £40 was not the same type of jersey Boonen wore!
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Simmotino wrote:
    I've seen him several times since and he now won't acknowledge me. Mind you, I did see him coming once so zipped up the jersey and threw my arms in the air just as I got to him, a la stage win. Might have something to do with it! :mrgreen:

chapeau!
  • mediamazter
    mediamazter Posts: 39
    I ride around in team kit usually because its good quality stuff and you can get last years stuff cheap... Does not worry me what people think if they see me in it.. Looks good and i just go and enjoy the ride.. Sod Um!

Brent.. (Mostly seen around Bristol in the Quickstep Gear!)
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361

I'm pretty sure my 2008 QS top for £40 was not the same type of jersey Boonen wore!

His will be tailored to him. INRNG covered this in one of his blogs. I would assume the same materials are used though.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    If you look at the link I put on earlier on the Rapha jersey, I think this is the same as the team item. It even has loops inside to hold the wires for team radios, you don't get much more pro than that 8)

Back to football shirts, a couple of years ago the Liverpool FC shirts that the players wore were slightly different to the ones Joe public could buy. For a limited time you could get the real thing from the club shop but these were quite a bit more expensive, so I can see the same happening in our sport too.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Sort of already happening e.g. Two types of kit here ... standard replica fare and more expensive body paint/ race fit stuff.

http://www.all4cycling.com/shop/garmin-barracuda-clothing-2012-c-757_546_772.html
  • ineedalager
    ineedalager Posts: 374
    I have a team Sky GB wimdproof top I wear on my club meets and I had nothing but positive comments. Adidas red white and blue British cycling logo Union Jacks on the collar I'm proud to wear my country colours good top as well bought it on here in the classifieds £25 :D
  • Raffles
    Raffles Posts: 1,137
    I have a 2012 Cube short sleeve jersey and couldnt care less if other riders have any beef over me wearing it. The OP should let the idiots be idiots and just let it wash over his head.
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105
  • wardieboy
    wardieboy Posts: 230
    Raffles wrote:
    I have a 2012 Cube short sleeve jersey and couldnt care less if other riders have any beef over me wearing it. The OP should let the idiots be idiots and just let it wash over his head.

Does that qualify as pro team kit? I know there is a cube sponsored mtb team but didn't know there was a road team?

Reason I ask is that I have a cube bike and was considering getting a jersey to match the bike. To be honest I won't if it is road club kit, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable wearing pro kit.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    I just bought the Olympic GB Team Jersey..

All I got was good comments and good banter...

eg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... ptHzqXrwwU

from today...
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    Rushmore wrote:
    I just bought the Olympic GB Team Jersey..

All I got was good comments and good banter...

eg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... ptHzqXrwwU

from today...

Great Stuff, have to say I like the Team GB kit, I know it has its critics, not enough red in it etc. but I think it almost looks like a Scottish kit, which is nice! :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    brettjmcc wrote:

His will be tailored to him. INRNG covered this in one of his blogs. I would assume the same materials are used though.

For £40 I'd suggest that's highly unlikely...!

The pros all now have some lycra/stretchy stuff in the jerseys too. Mine certainly does not.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Been out this morning in my HTC jersey and I don't know if it's just round here but people in cars seem to give me more room when I'm in team kit.

Does anyone else find this?

Maybe they don't want to knock a pro rider off their bike :lol:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
This discussion has been closed.