Is Jessica Ennis fat?

2»

Comments

• How can someone say she's fat?

She may weigh more than your stick thin popstars or models (read underweight skiny wannabe) but she certainly ain't fat!
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    This is reverting to the old ' Arnie's obese' comment by a doctor isn't it?

I agree with other comments that the official should be named and shamed without mercy, especially given the numbers of young, and not so young, women and men who have miserable lives from comment induced eating disorders.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Another young lady, a cyclist from New Zealand, with a Dutch-sounding name? Has reported the same sort of remarks damaging her health and happiness. Not the kind of story to 'polish' the image of sport, so often ignored or minimised in the media. Young people can be very trusting and place huge amounts of faith in coaches and the like.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    I just finished reading Mark Cavendish's autobiography 'Boy Racer' and he often refers to being called fat throughout his career. I think 'fat' in the athletic world has a different meaning to the way it's used by the average Joe. Nevertheless, as Cavendish states, it's still hurtful and unproductive.

As for Jessica Ennis, she's drop dead gorgeous :love:
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Words fail me!

I sometimes seriously question some peoples warped views.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Is there not the slightest possibility that an experienced coach with a trained eye noticed she was ever so slightly less lean than previous years at this point in the season and his remark has been twisted by the media to get attention? Or do we all think journalists never twist anything to make a story? Where was this reported?
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Rigged wrote:
    I just finished reading Mark Cavendish's autobiography 'Boy Racer' and he often refers to being called fat throughout his career. I think 'fat' in the athletic world has a different meaning to the way it's used by the average Joe. Nevertheless, as Cavendish states, it's still hurtful and unproductive.

As for Jessica Ennis, she's drop dead gorgeous :love:

spot on if she's fat god help eveyrone else in the world, if true and without any context, then it is a deeply dangerous comment that could be picked up by perfctly healthy but impressionable people to their detriment.

I took the fat comments about Cav as people inelegantly saying he was too bulky for the major tours and repeatedly getting up and over really big mountains. He dropped a lot of kilos during his first Giro and it was from then he really swept all before him. but its right that people should explain what they mean better rather than just bandying hurtful and inaccurate comments about and expecting people to understand the nuances.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Rigged wrote:
    I think when you look at photos of Cav he does look slightly chunkier than the other pros. When I saw him in the flesh at the ToB last year he just looked slightly less emaciated than the other dangerously skinny looking men on bikes around him. The thing is, if you're getting results like Cav or Ennis then does it really matter what you look like!?
  • Big Jim1
    Big Jim1 Posts: 182
    She looks just about perfect to me ;)
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Rigged wrote:
    I think when you look at photos of Cav he does look slightly chunkier than the other pros. When I saw him in the flesh at the ToB last year he just looked slightly less emaciated than the other dangerously skinny looking men on bikes around him. The thing is, if you're getting results like Cav or Ennis then does it really matter what you look like!?

Depends how quickly you want to get up the poggio/box hill.

Generally, I think fat means a different thing to Cav than the average man on the street.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • thecm
    thecm Posts: 71
    Well if she wants some assistance in fat-reducing, cardio-vascular, mostly horizontal (but with much positional variation available) exercise as part of her Olympics preparation I am available most evenings, mornings, afternoons, lunchtimes etc...
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    TheCM wrote:
    Well if she wants some assistance in fat-reducing, cardio-vascular, mostly horizontal (but with much positional variation available) exercise as part of her Olympics preparation I am available most evenings, mornings, afternoons, lunchtimes etc...

<Steptoe & Son> You dirty old man! </Steptoe & Son>

;)

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Big Jim1 wrote:
    She looks just about perfect to me ;)

Which bit(s) aren't quite perfect then? Come on you're the one who said JUST ABOUT perfect. :wink:

Could it be that great big spare tyre she's lumping around with her. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    TheCM wrote:

She's getting married shortly so probably getting plenty of exercise like that ;)
  • Pross
    I watched some of the Rome athletics last night. I think part of the problem is the style of kit the women wear. The shorts are set low on their hips and tend to make it look like they have a bit of a tummy on them even though you can see their muscles so they obviously haven't really got any body fat (the one exception being a Cuban hurdler who was carrying a bit of excess weight but she had recently given birth so it's hardly a surprise!).
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    Pross wrote:
    I watched some of the Rome athletics last night. I think part of the problem is the style of kit the women wear. The shorts are set low on their hips and tend to make it look like they have a bit of a tummy on them even though you can see their muscles so they obviously haven't really got any body fat (the one exception being a Cuban hurdler who was carrying a bit of excess weight but she had recently given birth so it's hardly a surprise!).

You're not suggesting they should cover up more are you? If so I think you should get your coat :mrgreen:
  • Pross
    Definately not - just an observation from looking very closely :lol:
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Redhog14 wrote:
    Don't suppose this official might have had a funny accent (Kiwi? Sithafrikan?) and was actually pronoucing her "fit".
    :lol:
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    turnerjohn wrote:
    monkeydan wrote:
    2/10 would not bang
    2/10 serveyed were gay and didn't fancy her either way ?

He can rate her all he wants but it leaves us 8 to have some fun! :P

No she isn't fat, I was watching this on the diamond league races last night on IPLAYER and thought that the comment was laughable.
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.