Hitting a Wall

mattheww385
mattheww385 Posts: 43
I've been road riding for about a year now, and had build my fitness up quite considerably before that commuting on my hybrid but the last 6 weeks or so I feel like my training is getting me know where and I had a pretty horrid experience on a sharp local climb yesterday. I feel like I must either be missing something or just getting this really wrong.

I alternate my commuting between using my singlespeed and my roadbike, it's only 6km each way but I try to put in a 30-40km loop at moderate to high intensity or some hill repeats on my way home most days at the moment. I've also do hard 80-100km rides on Saturday or Sunday plus a very very relaxed ride with a (unfit) friend on the 'off day', this is normally no more than 20km and quite slow as it's focused on building his fitness.

I'm managing to hover around 27-30km/h average speed, no matter what the length of the ride or the hilliness of it, but just feel like my times up hills aren't improving and pushing anything more than about 37km/h on the flat for any sustained period is a real struggle. I'm 188cm and 69kg [edited after weighing myself] so hardly carrying much extra weight so it's all about making my legs/lungs/heart work harder I think.

Should I be doing some intervals? Less riding/more riding? Or should I just relax and enjoy it?

Comments

• P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Start with what you want to get out of cycling, and work backwards. If you just want to be generally "fit", I'd say you're there already and stop worrying. If you want to compete, then you will need to start doing intervals.