Cycling Shorts & Underwear

RICHARD2005
RICHARD2005 Posts: 2
edited October 2019 in Road beginners
I have read that you are not supposed to wear underwear under Cycling Shorts, but can you get away with wearing underwear under your shorts for rides of less than an hour to save having to wash your shorts after every ride, or is it better to always ride with nothing under your shorts? What do other people do?

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Always ride without - it doesnt take long for a saddle sore to develop from chaffing...especially in this heat.
  • ukmkh
    ukmkh Posts: 21
    Always ride without - it doesnt take long for a saddle sore to develop from chaffing...especially in this heat.
    +1

I personally do wear underwear for the short trips under 30 mins. But anything else, the underwear goes. It makes a huge difference cos you can feel there is less friction. I just need to buy more cycling shorts...
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Last weekend did 140 miles over 2 days with underwear under my bibs. No problems whatsoever.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    apreading wrote:
    Last weekend did 140 miles over 2 days with underwear under my bibs. No problems whatsoever.

Do you also wear them under your Speedos?
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Did you have VPL??!
  • CYCLESPORT1
    CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
    apreading wrote:
    Why :?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Underwear with cycling shorts defeat the point of cycling shorts.

Seriously, don't do it.
  • apreading

Seriously, don't do it.

Dont see why - the cycling shorts were there for their padding. The underwear was there because, well just because I wear underwear with any other pair of shorts (cycling or non-cycling) or trousers.
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    apreading wrote:

Seriously, don't do it.

Dont see why - the cycling shorts were there for their padding. The underwear was there because, well just because I wear underwear with any other pair of shorts (cycling or non-cycling) or trousers.
    Sounds very thouroughly thought through.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    klep wrote:
    apreading wrote:

Seriously, don't do it.

Sounds very thouroughly thought through.

And despite that, still the wrong conclusion.

Don't, just don't!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rick_chasey
    Look at it this way. Why do you wear underwear at all?

Keeps it from swinging about too much - not a problem for cycling, and keeps your trousers cleaner so you can wear them more than once - not really an issue with bike short since you're sweating the hell out of it anyway.

Take it from the people who ride bikes all day every day - pro riders. They certainly don't wear any, as this rather graphic picture shows:

Johnny_Hoogerland-_1942934i.jpg.

Your shorts will have been designed to be ridden commando :).
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I feel like I am confessing to being an alcoholic - I wear underpants (well tight skimpy ones) under my bib shorts!

I have done 5 hours in the saddle max so far - with no issues at all of chaffing or rubbing and I didn't use any creams - I also did that many hours in one ride this weekend when it was very hot, with no issues at all. The only reason I wear them is to stop my tackle getting in the way.

OK I admit I am wrong apparently - but so far I have yet to build up enough courage to go commando - I need therapy!
  • rick_chasey
    jonomc4 wrote:
    I feel like I am confessing to being an alcoholic - I wear underpants (well tight skimpy ones) under my bib shorts!

I have done 5 hours in the saddle max so far - with no issues at all of chaffing or rubbing and I didn't use any creams - I also did that many hours in one ride this weekend when it was very hot, with no issues at all. The only reason I wear them is to stop my tackle getting in the way.

OK I admit I am wrong apparently - but so far I have yet to build up enough courage to go commando - I need therapy!

You English are so uptight ;).
  • klep
    jonomc4 wrote:

Welcome, thank you for sharing. *claps hands*
  • apreading
    Perhaps the wearing of underwear is why I dont feel the need to mess around with Chamois creme and also get absolutely no chafing whatsoever.

Also, back to the original post, what we have here are reasons why you dont HAVE to wear underwear but no reasons why you shouldnt.

So I say, if you want to wear it for short rides and to be more hygeinic so as to use your bibs mutliple times - then just do it.
  • klep
    You shouldnt, just like you should shave your legs. This should be in The Rules imo...
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    You don't wear underwear. That's the end of that. Anyone who does it wrong. Period.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    apreading wrote:
    Perhaps the wearing of underwear is why I dont feel the need to mess around with Chamois creme and also get absolutely no chafing whatsoever.

Also, back to the original post, what we have here are reasons why you dont HAVE to wear underwear but no reasons why you shouldnt.

So I say, if you want to wear it for short rides and to be more hygeinic so as to use your bibs mutliple times - then just do it.

You're obviously not cycling hard enough, otherwise your underwear would be very sweaty and unpleasant, I guess you're just pootling around!
  • Is it ok to wear underpants over your cycling shorts?
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    You guys start talking about wearing underwear and look what happens!
    ut0UT.jpg
    ffs
  • JGSI wrote:
    You guys start talking about wearing underwear and look what happens!

There might be another reason why your cookies bring that advert up...
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Not on this computer, however.. it is now showing one for a Volvo V60, maybe those in favour of wearing pants on the inside are better off driving
  • klep
    To ride in just underwear however, should be allowed.

critass403a.jpg
  • slowsider
    slowsider Posts: 197
    Is it ok to wear underpants over your cycling shorts?

It's fine. And then you won't have to change your underwear every day. :wink:

Just remember not to wear the other half's knickers that day :shock:
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Some novice advice whilst we are on this topic, please.

I dont wear underwear, and wash my bib shorts after every ride. However with commuting and the good weather over the past week I have been out most days and evenings getting some miles and hills in. I have now developed my first saddle sore, ouch - i read on another thread that sudocreme is a good way to treat it.

However going forward whats the deal with chamois creme's - should they be used before, during or after rides - and can any one make any recommendations?
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    apreading wrote:

Seriously, don't do it.

Dont see why - the cycling shorts were there for their padding.

Padding is not the primary reason for cycling shorts, so if it is then you need a more suitable saddle. The pad is there to provide a smooth, seamless surface between your skin and the saddle. The materials also wick away sweat - and a sweaty area "down there" is the fastest way to infection of you get a sore

apreading wrote:

Great advice - i'm sure anyone developing a saddle sore will thank you for it. See above, and years worth of experience from pro cyclists as to why underwear isnt worn. Getting away with is really doesnt mean its good practice.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    mr_poll wrote:

I dont wear underwear, and wash my bib shorts after every ride. However with commuting and the good weather over the past week I have been out most days and evenings getting some miles and hills in. I have now developed my first saddle sore, ouch - i read on another thread that sudocreme is a good way to treat it.

However going forward whats the deal with chamois creme's - should they be used before, during or after rides - and can any one make any recommendations?

Not sure, I more or less have 1 or 2 saddle sores all the time, I use sudocreme as a chamois cream, so does that mean that the saddle is the wrong shape for me?
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    mr_poll wrote:

Sudocrem would be good to treat sores once off the bike for sure.

I use Paceline Chamois Butt’r, a big gloop of it on your taint before setting off and if you’re out all day you may want to reapply if you feel you need it (assuming you get the opportunity). Paceline do little single use sachets of cream too which are handy. I have a tube at home for before I head off and keep 1 or 2 of the single use sachets in my jersey pocket (although I rarely need it).
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Duplicate post
  • Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.