Best app Or computer for tracking my rides

Stephenpaulknight
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
As a new boy to road riding I would like to get a nice bit of kit to track my rides. I have looked at some of the garmin kit and can't justify paying £400+.

So I wondered if anyone had tried any of the many iPhone apps or weather there were any good lower cost bike specific computers people could recommend. Key feature for me is a ability to measure the altitude I have covered as I live in a rather hilly part of the Cotswolds. Would be good to be able to upload and analyse my performance as I am a stato at heart.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• cbriddon
    cbriddon Posts: 25
    Try a Garmin Edge 200 for around £100. Had mine a couple of months and it's excellent.
  • Swos
    Swos Posts: 27
    The app I currently use on my IPhone 4S is Strava which is great. Although I would also recommend Sports Tracker and Endomondo
  • Gotta agree with cbriddon go for a Garmin Edge 200 they are brilliant for the money. Before i got mine i was using mapmyride on an android phone which worked ok but its a bit awkward trying to mount a phone on your bike.
    On One 456
    Cannondale CAAD 10
    Ribble 7005 Audax
  • MarksMintness
    MarksMintness Posts: 484
    Ditto for Strava. Great app free to download on smartphones. If you want something to mount for live info though, edge 200 would be your best entry point.
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • furiousd
    furiousd Posts: 214
    I use Endomondo on my iphone and really like it. Gives me plenty of data and uploads it to my profile from the phone automatically. Best app i have.
    D
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I've used Cyclemeter for about a year now and i can't fault it, battery life is good i've just done 3.5hrs and i used 15% on the battery.
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    I use a a cateye strada on my bike and strava on my iphone. This seens to give me everything I need. I also sometimes use Everytrail (in case I get lost)
  • AllezGaz
    AllezGaz Posts: 93
    Bozman wrote:
    I've used Cyclemeter for about a year now and i can't fault it, battery life is good i've just done 3.5hrs and i used 15% on the battery.

+ 1 on Cyclemeter. Coupled with a Cateye Strada V3 I got all the stats I can handle :)
  • nickyhoward55
    nickyhoward55 Posts: 148
    runkeeper or cyclemeter. Runkeeper has an awesome website for keeping track of rides but cyclemeter has a nicer display when using the phone on the bars. Personally, i just set it and throw it in my back pocket. Works wonders.
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    I would get the Garmin 500, you can get just the computer for not a huge amount more than the 200 and can pick up the HR and Cadence monitors later on.
  • sancho1983
    sancho1983 Posts: 76
    I've been using the strava app for a while on my phone, it's excellent but a pain having to take my phone out with me.

Just bought a second hand Garmin edge 205 from eBay for 50 pounds. Like you op I couldn't justify spending loads on a 500/800, £50 is reasonable though, uploading data to strava has really kept me motivated
  • Hector10
    Hector10 Posts: 18
    Endomondo Pro all the way, best £ 0.59 I ever spent if you want to track distance, sped, altitude etc. obviously Cadence etc aren't available as far as I know.
    I Added a Bluetooth HR monitor in the sales for about £40 and have everything on my HTC I could desire. Instant uploads and Sharing to Social Media.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Strava.
  • andy-64
    andy-64 Posts: 51
    I use endomondo pro great app you can also export your files to strava so you can can get the best out of both endomondo and strava
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    Cyclemeter. Its amazing.

Strava. Its also amazing.

I just wish there was a way of combining the 2. I use one or the other, and always regret the missed features of the one I didn't use.
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • charliew87
    charliew87 Posts: 371
    Strava + Phone. Don't know how people justify spending so much on Garmins!
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    + potato for Strava
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Don't know if it's just me but never had an accurate elevation reading from Cyclemeter. Got a Garmin 500 at the weekend, I'll let you know how that is once I've had a chance to have a play with it if you're interested.
    Trek Domane 4.3. Merida One.forty 7.700. Merida CX 3. Voodoo Bizango
    "When the vulture flies sideways the moon has hair on his upper lip"
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    charliew87 wrote:
    Don't know how people justify spending so much on Garmins!
    How do you justify any leisure expenditure?!

I ran with Runkeeper on the phone for a year but now have a Garmin 800 ...

Runkeeper kept track of where I'd been ok - but it was in my pocket - you can have it talk to you every x miles or minutes to tell you your averages which was a help ...
    With the Garmin all the info is there all the time on the handlebars along with directional info if you're riding a course you don't know ...

Do I need an 800 - no. Do I like having an 800 - yes. Would I get another - probably!
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    charliew87 wrote:
    Don't know how people justify spending so much on Garmins!

if i didnt have an android phone and cheap cycle computer then I may consider one. Would be nice to know the heart rate etc but not curious enough to go spending the extra £££s yet. TBH I rarely look at the computer, usually a quick glance to see how far i've been or how fast i'm descending as the phone sits in my back pocket recording the route and playing music into my headphones :oops:

Since I only ride for fitness/fun i'm not overly bothered about planned routes and go where i feel but its always nice to upload the details and see how you compare to those diehard riders out there :D
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    Okay, I'm probably going to be the only person here calling out for this, but I swear by MotionX GPS to track my rides with an iPhone. I use a handlebar mount, and I find the displays of the more popular apps a bit crap, frankly. MotionX will give you total time, current speed, average speed, max speed, total distance, elevation, total climb, total descent, current gradient, heart rate and a moving-map display. It'll also do 'voice-coaching' if that's your bag. You can download the maps in advance so you don't need to use any mobile internet data when you're out (saves battery life). I upload the .GPX file to the Strava website, so I still get all the Stava goodness, just without the crappy iPhone app. I also plan routes in advance and import the .GPX file into MotionX and it'll give me a 'breadcrumb' trail to follow on-screen.

Only main things it won't do is connect to a cadence sensor, and it won't do turn-by-turn directions.

It's not quite as straight-forward to use as some of the more mainstream apps, so if 'fire-and-forget' is your thing it might not be right for you. Unfortunately I don't think it's a free download, but as far as general purpose trail tracking apps go, I think it's the best available.
  • Thanks to everyone for their views. I am hunting eBay for a good secondhand garmin.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    ...but I swear by MotionX GPS to track my rides with an iPhone. I use a handlebar mount...
    What mount do you use for the iPhone? Trying to find one....
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • slowondefy2
    TheFD wrote:
    ...but I swear by MotionX GPS to track my rides with an iPhone. I use a handlebar mount...
    What mount do you use for the iPhone? Trying to find one....

Topeak iPhone Drybag. It's a bit bulky, untidy looking and not quite perfect in a few ways, but it is 100% rainproof, doesn't interfere with the ambient light sensor and it's pretty cheap.
  • harrydaisy
    harrydaisy Posts: 131
    I like the bike brain app on iPhone (1.49). It measures speed, route etc by using gps. Logs all your trips and you can share them if you want to, also keeps a log of the total miles trained on bike. For under 2 quid it's all you need and once I find a decent stem or handlebar mount for iPhone I will lose the Blackburn mini cycle computer I currently use.
    Wilier Izoard XP "Petacchi"/ Campag Veloce/ Fulcrum Racing 5
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7/ Campag Xenon
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Topeak iPhone Drybag. It's a bit bulky, untidy looking and not quite perfect in a few ways, but it is 100% rainproof, doesn't interfere with the ambient light sensor and it's pretty cheap.
    How does it attach to the bike? Is it similar to This which I cannot use as it fits onto the top of the stem tube (as in just under the top stem cap) and the Specialized stem is a different size apparently... according to Edinburgh Bike Co-Op
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • slowondefy2
    TheFD wrote:
    How does it attach to the bike? Is it similar to This which I cannot use as it fits onto the top of the stem tube (as in just under the top stem cap) and the Specialized stem is a different size apparently... according to Edinburgh Bike Co-Op

It just straps to the stem, like this (but plastic!):

DIN-3017-Germany-Type-Stainless-Steel-Hose-Pipe-Clips-KEB9X110-Series.jpg
  • Cyclemeter and Strava
  • I used most of the cycle apps on my iPhone which work ok but i am soooo glad I ditched them for my garmin 500 , it's just much better and smaller than an iPhone strapped to your bars or stem :D
    Trek Madone 5.9 2012
    Cboardman Team 2011
  • alex1rob
    alex1rob Posts: 95
    Edge 500 +1.

It's 169 on amazon at the moment or you can buy it from Taiwan on Ebay for about 115 incl delivery which is what I did.

Hands down the best thing I did with regards to my training