Adjusting Position

TMR
TMR Posts: 3,986
Not sure where to put this, as there's no 'Bike Fit' forum. Perhaps a Mod can move it somewhere more appropriate.

I have a number of spacers and an upturned stem on one of my bikes. I'd like to get a more aero position, but need to do it gradually or my lower back will cry. I tried flipping the stem before the Kent Killer in Feb and had to re-flip it half way around as my back was killing me. Stupid to make such a drastic change prior to a big ride, I know.

So now I'm thinking to leave the stem as it is, and remove the spacers one by one over a period of time. The question is, over what period? I ride at least 3-4 times a week at the moment, with around 70 miles on a Sunday.

Any other advice for getting used to the new position would be gratefully received. I don't know, for example, whether lower the front means a change to my saddle fore/aft or seat post height?

Thanks.

Comments

• TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Anyone?
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    Give yourself a couple of weeks in each new position if you suffer that badly with your back.When all the spacers are gone put them back in and flip the stem. then start to remove spacers (after the 2 week gap). If you get too much pain go for 4 weeks or 6.., your body should tell you.

You may have to accept that you will not get to the position you want. Not that big a deal -have you seen Cadel on a TT bike, seems to go quite well.

The other thing is to work on your flexibility off the bike, maybe stretching and yoga?
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • ajmitchell
    ajmitchell Posts: 203
    Hi

I am also struggling with bike position, trying to go to a more aero shape. I started this indoors which is arguably harder than outdoors because outdoors you get short breaks on corners and braking allowing you to sit up. On the turbo you can test how long you can hold a relatively fixed position.

One problem is that the more the crunched aero position the less power can be developed, mainly because breathing is restricted.

If you are struggling try this.

1. Keep the bars where they started but add TT extensions with armrests. How long can you keep in the TT position? This is the position you want to maintain on the flat, downhill and at the front of the bunch

2. Lower the bars by one spacer. This is the "resting" position you would ride uphill and in a group. Ride until you forget that position is an issue (ie pain elsewhere eg in the legs is the issue!). Lower by another spacer. Its difficult to say but I think 1 spacer a week should be achievable.

3. Try putting the saddle up by about 1-2cm and possibly forward by 1cm, and angled slightly down at the nose. This will rotate you slightly around the cranks and help give a more aero position by default.

Finally put your bikes side-by-side and see if you can match them in terms of fit (unless you are purposely keeping for different purposes)

Heres my previous post on TT fit viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12837040