Bruyneel's tough love?

Bakunin
Bakunin Posts: 868
edited June 2012 in Pro race
The Hog's gotta lighten up a little...leave those poor Schleck boys alone.

Geez, doesn't he know that Andy is a TdF champion?

"Frank and Andy Schleck have so far not lived up to the status of leaders. I was very disappointed last week that Frank left the Giro d'Italia. Hindsight is that his injury was more serious than at first sight appeared. Yet in recent years I have seen many more great riders seem more dead than alive and still pick themselves up and absolutely have to have the will to continue. I sometimes miss that a bit.

"There is Fabian Cancellara, and after him nobody is sure of a place in the squad for the Tour de France. Both Schleck brothers know that. They have no license. So far I still have no vision of my Tour cycling team with both Schleck brothers in it."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bruynee ... rance-spot

Comments

• cycling5280
    cycling5280 Posts: 279
    Andy is only a TDF champion in the courtroom. He has said it himself.

The Schlecks finally have a real DS who knows how to win and wants to win. It's nice to hear Bruyneel not give a s$#@ that they are brothers and that's why they need to both be in the Tour. I'd hate to see guys like Voigt and Cancellara work their butts off for three weeks only to hear the Schlecks complain and possibly just drop out. I've said before and I'll say it again. I hope Radioshack takes a team that goes for stage wins. Schlecks will not even podium.
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    Heh. Perhaps with the amount of TT kilometres, Bruyneel might be seeing Spartacus as a safer bet. He just needs to find some way to 'do a Lance' and drop some body mass!
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    patchy wrote:
    He just needs to find some way to 'do a Lance' and drop some body mass!

I don't think the sport really needs anyone else to 'do a Lance'.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    patchy wrote:
    Heh. Perhaps with the amount of TT kilometres, Bruyneel might be seeing Spartacus as a safer bet. He just needs to find some way to 'do a Lance' and drop some body mass!
    How on Earth is this myth still circulating when figures from Armstrong's own camp show that his weight when he first 'won' the Tour was within a kg or so of his pre-cancer weight? Unless, of course 'dropping some body mass' is a euphemism for withdrawing blood for centrifuging and later re-injection during the Tour. :wink:
  • I've been trying to remember but cant seem to, but am I correct in thinking that when the teams merged they used the Leopard Trek WT License? wouldn't that possible but Bruyneel in a possible position were the Schlecks could just give him the arse if he keeps this up?
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • cycling5280
    patchy wrote:
    He just needs to find some way to 'do a Lance' and drop some body mass!

I don't think the sport really needs anyone else to 'do a Lance'.

Got to get lean to win tours! Wiggins is lean and now he's winning. Not sure what's going on with the Schlecks though.
  • TMR
    Got to get lean to win tours!

That's not what I meant.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

The Schlecks finally have a real DS who knows how to win and wants to win. It's nice to hear Bruyneel not give a s$#@ that they are brothers and that's why they need to both be in the Tour. I'd hate to see guys like Voigt and Cancellara work their butts off for three weeks only to hear the Schlecks complain and possibly just drop out. I've said before and I'll say it again. I hope Radioshack takes a team that goes for stage wins. Schlecks will not even podium.

I think you'll find that Jens and Fabian have a lot more time for the Schlecks than they have for Bruyneel.

Bruyneel isn't good at managing conflict. Look at the 2009 Tour when his team was torn in 2 better Contador and Armstrong. What did he he? Aside from have a ridiculous chin.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • TMR
    iainf72 wrote:
    I think you'll find that Jens and Fabian have a lot more time for the Schlecks than they have for Bruyneel.

Agreed. They both seem to have pinned their colours to the Schleck's mast.
    Bruyneel isn't good at managing conflict. Look at the 2009 Tour when his team was torn in 2 better Contador and Armstrong. What did he he? Aside from have a ridiculous chin.

Made for good viewing at the pre/post race PR though ;)
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    patchy wrote:
    How on Earth is this myth still circulating when figures from Armstrong's own camp show that his weight when he first 'won' the Tour was within a kg or so of his pre-cancer weight? Unless, of course 'dropping some body mass' is a euphemism for withdrawing blood for centrifuging and later re-injection during the Tour. :wink:

Bingo. :)
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • cycling5280
    iainf72 wrote:

You're crazy if you thinking Jens or Fabian have some loyalty to riding for the Schlecks. They are still at team Radioshack because as professionals that's the best scenario for them individually. They have too much respect and professionalism to not obey Bruyneel's orders so of course they will ride for whoever Bruyneel decides is the leader. If Andy and Frank crash out in the Dauphine/Tour of swiss and can't ride the Tour, Fabian and Jens will not hesitate to ride for Jacob Fusglang or Kloden or Horner.
  • iainf72
    I might be crazy, but I know Fabian turned down more money than Leopard offered to stay with the Schlecks / Kim Andersen. And that says a lot to me.

If Bruyneel made anyone but Andy Schleck the leader he'd be a weapons grade moron.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Agree with Ian.

You've got a team with the world's best TT rider who, despite Pro Cycling and other media's fevered imaginings, will never come close to winning a GT, you've got one of the greatest super domestiques ever and you've got a guy who has finished on numerous GT podiums, won some great stages and a LBL. He's happiest when his brother, who has won Amstel Gold and 2 Tour mountain stages including Alpe D'Huez, is with him. All 4 of them have ridden on the same squad in July, using the same tactics, since at least 2008 and you're playing power games to show them who's boss?

The idea of him as some sort of tactical genius seems flawed as well. I can't remember USPS, Disco or Astana pulling off any tactical masterstrokes beyond signing up the best climbing domestiques, juicing them and then sticking them on the front at some ludicrous tempo until there was nobody left.

As to what he did in 2009... "Picked sides" is about the only thing I can remember.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    ^ and the wrong side at that... :D
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    On the right sort of climb, IIRC, Fabian can set a pretty fearsome tempo, he can also descend like a daemon, and his TTing is obviously, amazing.

Having said that, there's a world of difference between setting a fearsome tempo on the foothills of some HC climb, and actually being at the sharp end, however many km later.

Maybe with the right preparation and course, Cancellara could break top 10? But even that's a struggle to see.

I've said it in other threads, Bruyneel is clearly unable to adjust his managerial style and he needs to, if he wants a good GC rider on his team for the next few years. He's already seemingly burnt hid bridges with the Spanish one!!

Really, though, the Hog should retire, cycling doesn't need him.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • cycling5280
    Agree with Ian.

You've got a team with the world's best TT rider who, despite Pro Cycling and other media's fevered imaginings, will never come close to winning a GT, you've got one of the greatest super domestiques ever and you've got a guy who has finished on numerous GT podiums, won some great stages and a LBL. He's happiest when his brother, who has won Amstel Gold and 2 Tour mountain stages including Alpe D'Huez, is with him. All 4 of them have ridden on the same squad in July, using the same tactics, since at least 2008 and you're playing power games to show them who's boss?

The idea of him as some sort of tactical genius seems flawed as well. I can't remember USPS, Disco or Astana pulling off any tactical masterstrokes beyond signing up the best climbing domestiques, juicing them and then sticking them on the front at some ludicrous tempo until there was nobody left.

As to what he did in 2009... "Picked sides" is about the only thing I can remember.

"He's happiest when his brother, who has won Amstel Gold and 2 Tour mountain stages including Alpe D'Huez, is with him." HAHAHA...no one cares when he's the happiest, he's paid to win the overall GC as a professional. Go back to the amateur ranks and have the Schleck family hold a family picnic to watch him be happy and participate. Maybe that's it, Schleck participates in the Tour. He hasn't won a single stage race as a professional. I can't speak for Radioshack and Nissan but I'm gonna say they did give a crap if he's happy.

Lets be honest tactics in cycling you can count with one hand. The famous Lance look at Ulrich on Alpe D'Huez and the bluff all day that he was hurting only to make other times TRY to ride hard was one of the best tactics ever. I don't think that was Bruyneel as much as it was Armstrong.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Read Disgruntled Goat's post again, Lance was just more-juiced than anyone else and had the benefit of getting tipped-off when the Testers were coming and always had the 'get out of jail free' option of paying off the UCI. The only tactic JB employed was making sure the blood bags arrived safely and the liaisons with Dr Ferrari.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    HAHAHA...no one cares when he's the happiest, he's paid to win the overall GC as a professional.
    Because there is absolutely no connection between his state of mind and his capacity to do the things that are necessary to win a grand tour.
  • cycling5280
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Read Disgruntled Goat's post again, Lance was just more-juiced than anyone else and had the benefit of getting tipped-off when the Testers were coming and always had the 'get out of jail free' option of paying off the UCI. The only tactic JB employed was making sure the blood bags arrived safely and the liaisons with Dr Ferrari.

and this went on for 7+ years and somehow no one has 'evidence' against Lance. Not a single needle, blood bag or anything to test and confirm...again worthy of submitting to authorities as evidence that he doped. Not a single email or phone call or letter to confirm to authorities that he doped.
  • cycling5280
    HAHAHA...no one cares when he's the happiest, he's paid to win the overall GC as a professional.
    Because there is absolutely no connection between his state of mind and his capacity to do the things that are necessary to win a grand tour.

You could have the entire Schleck family on a school bus following Andy in a TT and it wouldn't help him go faster. Of course there is that connection but in Andy's situation he's using the 'happy' card too much and not focusing on the task at hand. We all know his excuse if he doesn't win the Tour this year...Bruyneel.
  • iainf72

and this went on for 7+ years and somehow no one has 'evidence' against Lance. Not a single needle, blood bag or anything to test and confirm...again worthy of submitting to authorities as evidence that he doped. Not a single email or phone call or letter to confirm to authorities that he doped.

You don't know very much about cycling, do you?
  • cycling5280
    iainf72 wrote:

You don't know very much about cycling, do you?

Probably not as much as you. I do know ASO has Lance winning 7 Tours and that he hasn't been legal found to have doped.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Seems like some forumites know better than to respond to this American fanatical fan boy poster's deliberately provocative comments.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    $hit, I thought all the fanbois had flipped onto triathlon since his holiness had found a sport where they don't even bother with drug-testing anymore.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cycling5280
    Seems like some forumites know better than to respond to this American fanatical fan boy poster's deliberately provocative comments.

Just don't post stupid untrue doping allegations on a forum. pretty simple.
  • cycling5280
    Monty Dog wrote:
    $hit, I thought all the fanbois had flipped onto triathlon since his holiness had found a sport where they don't even bother with drug-testing anymore.

ignorance is bliss
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Do you know, I'm trying to think of someone who has made more a fool out of themselves in their first week than cycling5280

...and I honestly can't...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    ddraver wrote:
    Do you know, I'm trying to think of someone who has made more a fool out of themselves in their first week than cycling5280

FloydFan?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • cycling5280
    ddraver wrote:

you must be a Schleck fan.
  • Remarkable
    Remarkable Posts: 187
    ddraver wrote:

you must be a Schleck fan.

Why do insist on talking crap about them? They don't know you. Its pretty easy to act big on a forum. I bet if you were to bump into them you would go weak at the knees. Do you race? If you do, you will understand just how hard racing is at any level.

Anyhu....maybe its JB's way of motivating them. I've heard of some directer sportifs using that tactic over the last couple of years.