Custom Trek ex9 Pearl white build**** complete****

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Go tubeless, similar weight to light weight tubes but far more reliable.

Giant did some blue Elixirs on their bikes a couple of years ago, along with blue Crossmax SLRs, they did look good I must say! Blue Toupe is a no though!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    njee20 wrote:
    Go tubeless, similar weight to light weight tubes but far more reliable.

Giant did some blue Elixirs on their bikes a couple of years ago, along with blue Crossmax SLRs, they did look good I must say! Blue Toupe is a no though!

Not to keen on tubeless tbh,
    As for those SLR'S there nice a lot of £££ though, saying that when I first bought the trek I never had plans upgrading :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Well getting to the end of the WIP now was wanting to get down to 24 lbs, however managed at the min 25.1lbs.

arrived last week were my gold ti bolts from Probolts,tried to source the v type washers for the brake callipers but no joy as of yet unless I source from china.
    a4384e00.jpg
    d701837f.jpg
    c30238a5.jpg
    54707867c6f71708c22a0653b5a3ccf8.jpg
    FC5F37D3-CC8C-4427-81F1-2DAF4B625937-3013-0000040FA6BE523B.jpg
    E29E2DA8-EEB0-4220-8A6E-232EE4B1366E-3013-0000040F7933DD67.jpg

Also arrived was my Rocket Rons Evo type, lighter than my Ralph's and 2x light weight inners only the Conti super sonics have arrived though.
    9b4db0fc9c38b702cdfc409c73e3d6fc.jpg
    98f4b44c5a5de1cedae31bf514f4f558.jpg

Bike as it stands now
    52a741563ee663bd03dd4b4c5a646c3f.jpg
  • danair
    danair Posts: 52
    looks nice mate made me want spend on my trek now :lol:
  • Jomox
    Jomox Posts: 250
    looks nice and clean.
  • njee20
    Ti bolts in your brake levers? Alu are half the weight and about 1/10 the price!
  • Anonymous
    njee20 wrote:
    Ti bolts in your brake levers? Alu are half the weight and about 1/10 the price!

I know buddy, the alu bolts were a different colour gold, compared to the ti bolts otherwise would of went for the lighter option on the levers as they didn't match the stem bolts.
  • minley1
    minley1 Posts: 126
    Just received a set of those Rocket Ron tyres (435g), yet to try them out so far.
  • njee20
    I really like them. Wear out pretty quickly though!
  • Anonymous
    minley1 wrote:
    Just received a set of those Rocket Ron tyres (435g), yet to try them out so far.

They role a lot faster than my racing Ralph's.
  • Anonymous
    minley1 wrote:

What size did you go for 2.1/ 2.25
  • minley1
    minley1 Posts: 126
    I went for the 2.1, first ride with them at the week end, possibly Swinley.
  • njee20
    Must say I've recently changed to the 2.25", barely any weight penalty and they are grippier.
  • Anonymous
    njee20 wrote:
    Must say I've recently changed to the 2.25", barely any weight penalty and they are grippier.

Ive got the 2.25 evo type and my mates dale rize is rolling the 2.1 performance,
    On the ride yesterday free rolling both were the same,
  • njee20
    That doesn't tell you anything at all.

If you believe some of the research Schwalbe did fatter tyres roll better anyway on rough ground (ignored a lot of other variables, but hey). Must say I'll probably replace all my Schwalbes with 2.25s as they wear out.
  • Anonymous
    njee20 wrote:
    That doesn't tell you anything at all.

If you believe some of the research Schwalbe did fatter tyres roll better anyway on rough ground (ignored a lot of other variables, but hey). Must say I'll probably replace all my Schwalbes with 2.25s as they wear out.

Rephrase there not draggy compared to the 2.1's 8)
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    Great looking bike. Love the use of car detailing products to keep it clean and protected :D my garage is full of the same stuff, if you want to borrow my rotary just let me know :lol:

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • Anonymous
    Myster101 wrote:
    Great looking bike. Love the use of car detailing products to keep it clean and protected :D my garage is full of the same stuff, if you want to borrow my rotary just let me know :lol:

Cheers buddy, ive got loads of detailing kit aswell and a Das-6
    My motor Nissan Juke turbo
    fe6508f3.jpg
    ba92a4f5.jpg
  • emseens
    emseens Posts: 146
    Sorry, I think it's most ugliest car in the world :/ bike is awesome, but... :/
  • Anonymous
    emseens wrote:
    Sorry, I think it's most ugliest car in the world :/ bike is awesome, but... :/

Yeah it's defo marmite :mrgreen:
    It's not standard either :roll:
  • Anonymous
    So it's been a week or so since last post.
    Postman arrived with the following items.

Carbon saddle 89 Grams
    FF8A8602-D73D-4E07-BC1A-06525D8CD345-6188-0000075175F99587.jpg

Kcnc ti trek fitment qr's
    C0F8F212-9AF5-4ED2-A6F5-EAD0353DCFC5-8186-0000092E708354B8.jpg

Kcnc seat clamp 10 grams
    6ca53c2e8a6fea39229dac91fe83e605.jpg
  • emseens
    emseens Posts: 146
    pervert :D
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    To be honest, if you are getting that serious about weight saving, you should consider the wheels first.
    Whilst not heavy, pro2s on xc717s arent exactly light either. Just switching to dt240s/tune/american classic/a2z hubs would save you at least 100g, and lighter rims such as stans crest or pacenti tl28 would save you even more. IMO its best to get big bits like these sorted before you start out with silly saddles and the like.

Unless you are racing, I dont see much point in going to extremes on the weight saving. Granted, its nice to have a light bike, but not to the point that it makes the riding experience suffer. I know someone that used to have a scott spark ltd that was somewhere between 22 and 24lbs iirc, but it was so twitchy and got deflected by obstacles so easily that it wasnt much fun to ride.
  • njee20
    I love my 20lb Top Fuel! In fact I prefer it (by a significant margin) with the 1240g A2Z/Podium wheels compared to my heavier 240/Alpine wheels. Light bikes now ride far far better than they did back in the day.

You're right about priorities though, no way in a million years I'd buy ti bolts whilst still using some heavy (comparatively) wheels. But that saddle was dirt cheap IIRC, be interested to see how you get on with it.
  • Anonymous
    leaflite wrote:
    To be honest, if you are getting that serious about weight saving, you should consider the wheels first.
    Whilst not heavy, pro2s on xc717s arent exactly light either. Just switching to dt240s/tune/american classic/a2z hubs would save you at least 100g, and lighter rims such as stans crest or pacenti tl28 would save you even more. IMO its best to get big bits like these sorted before you start out with silly saddles and the like.

Unless you are racing, I dont see much point in going to extremes on the weight saving. Granted, its nice to have a light bike, but not to the point that it makes the riding experience suffer. I know someone that used to have a scott spark ltd that was somewhere between 22 and 24lbs iirc, but it was so twitchy and got deflected by obstacles so easily that it wasnt much fun to ride.

Cheers for your comments buddy.
    As for weight tbh the 25lbs mark was good enough lol
    I'm not going crazy light as its the wrong frame to be doing that, as for the wheels I'm looking mavic SLR'S if I were gonna go down that route.
    I've got a couple of more add ons and that will be the project complete.
  • Anonymous
    njee20 wrote:
    I love my 20lb Top Fuel! In fact I prefer it (by a significant margin) with the 1240g A2Z/Podium wheels compared to my heavier 240/Alpine wheels. Light bikes now ride far far better than they did back in the day.

You're right about priorities though, no way in a million years I'd buy ti bolts whilst still using some heavy (comparatively) wheels. But that saddle was dirt cheap IIRC, be interested to see how you get on with it.

Yeah I'm liking your Top fuel may be my next buy :roll:
    As for ti bolts and wheels tbh these wheels are only 3 months old these were the 2nd purchase after the SIDS,
    And wasn't planning on spending £££ on it. Other wise the wheels would have been a better choice to start of with.
    End of the day it's a
    Project :D

As for the saddle brought from a bloke who used it in a few races he never had any drama's with it.
    It's has flex so isn't rigid, there's a vid on you tube of this make of saddle getting battered with a metal seat post it is strong !
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    there's a vid on you tube of this make of saddle getting battered with a metal seat post it is strong !

Strong, yes. Comfort, ill reserve judgement until you've been out on a ride!
  • njee20
    I tried an SLR C64 on my road bike for a while, wasn't uncomfy, but was bloody slippery, felt very strange, couldn't really get on with it.
  • Anonymous
    leaflite wrote:
    there's a vid on you tube of this make of saddle getting battered with a metal seat post it is strong !

Strong, yes. Comfort, ill reserve judgement until you've been out on a ride!

Been out short ride about 6 miles not to bad tbh also wearing padded shorts would be a different story other wise nice and flexy.
  • njee20
    Be worried if anything was uncomfortable after 6 miles! Reckon it will be ok.