Circumventing Olympic traffic disruption

Comments

• MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    by others accounts, overground and underground numbers are low. Cyclists are well up and numpty drivers too. Mopeds who deliberately block filtering access are winning in terms of cnutish behaviour.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Vicky embankment was pretty chocka.

Mopeds particularly irritating.

Rest was fine.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Vicky embankment was pretty chocka.

Mopeds particularly irritating.

Rest was fine.

Heading west it was fine (around 8am). East was a problem the other day from just before the blackfriars underpass onwards - is that bit still bad? I've taken a different route the last couple days but I'd rather go that way if clear. Still no idea why they have two olympic lanes going from lower thames st to the highway, it's causing so much chaos for everyone!!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Yup. From Parliament square all the way to blackfriars.

I take the ramp up there so don't know beyond that.

Enough room for cyclists to filter on the left mind.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Everyone that's come in says the trains are empty too.
    exercise.png
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    That may have been my fastest commute in ever. Even counting weekends.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    It was like a Sunday out there this morning...Where'd everybody go?

Has everyone else pulled a sickie and not told me about it? :(
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    TheStone wrote:
    I suggested it might even be quieter than normal, but even I'm surprised by that.
    Quietest commute ever! Where is everyone????

+1 left worcester park 7.15 ish, CS7 to E&C > Towerbridge > Highway > Docklands (8.20am) felt like typical summer school holiday commute. Although I did noticed light rephasing on the A24 and elsewhere appearing to hold traffic back (or maybe it was just a red day....)
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Pretty good run in from Essex today. Lots of nodders in Hackney, but that's normal on sunny mornings.

Noticed a fairly stiff SW breeze though (in my face up Lea Bridge Road) which may explain an easy run for all you people coming up the Embankments.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • sketchley
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    Pretty good run in from Essex today. Lots of nodders in Hackney, but that's normal on sunny mornings.

Noticed a fairly stiff SW breeze though (in my face up Lea Bridge Road) which may explain an easy run for all you people coming up the Embankments.

A tailwind there may of been, but there was a lot less traffic too....

A glance round my open plan office (150) desk or so probably less than 40 people here.... Most working from home or on holiday....
    --
    Chris

• jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Gizmo_ wrote:

What time do you frequent the Lea Bridge Road. I'm currently diverting that way. The wind will turn round on the way home.
  • yep us Essex boys have a lovely tailwind on the way home!!
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    yep us Essex boys have a lovely tailwind on the way home!!

Did you find it really hard work this morning? :wink::wink:

Cycling into that viciously strong head wind my legs almost exploded, wouldn't wish that on anyone, not even a WVM....No Sireee, no fun at all :twisted:

Just looked out of the window and it looks like it's getting stronger :D

Tee heee :D:D
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • the first 10 miles was harder than normal, but then being in built up areas it kind of shielded it a bit, had a nice draft of a high wvm to the bow flyover so got some nice speed up, then drafted a couple of lorries, it was a bit chilly this morning though, now off home, via the cs3 route don't fancy dodging the tourist round Stratford.
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • Gizmo_
    JZed wrote:
    Gizmo_ wrote:

What time do you frequent the Lea Bridge Road. I'm currently diverting that way. The wind will turn round on the way home.
    Varies due to morning doziness and evening not-getting-out-of-the-office, but usually 8.30am and 6.30pm give or take. Say hello as you pass me, I'm the slow one on the shiny white Cannondale. :)
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Everything seems really quite quiet on my route in.

However, it seems that down Euston Road (which is the same road that runs from miles out west all the way in, A501, seems loads of motorbikes were using the olympic lanes? Are they taking a big chance? They didn't look like official vehicles, there were superbikes, upright ones, all sorts...
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I had a wonderful run along the Battersea ORN. No games traffic using it at all. Joyous.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    Varies due to morning doziness and evening not-getting-out-of-the-office, but usually 8.30am and 6.30pm give or take. Say hello as you pass me, I'm the slow one on the shiny white Cannondale. :)

Isn't it really busy in the morning? I took it once and was so busy I went on the cycle path (against my better judgement), then almost had a nasty accident on the transition back onto the road (lost both wheels and my bike ended up being dragged along under a van.) Haven't been back since.
    This was just before the bridge - looked on google maps and even there the location looks covered in mud & leaf debris.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Gizmo_
    jds_1981 wrote:
    Gizmo_ wrote:

Isn't it really busy in the morning? I took it once and was so busy I went on the cycle path (against my better judgement), then almost had a nasty accident on the transition back onto the road (lost both wheels and my bike ended up being dragged along under a van.) Haven't been back since.
    This was just before the bridge - looked on google maps and even there the location looks covered in mud & leaf debris.
    I use the bus lane all the way down the hill from Bakers Arms to the Orient Way junction, then it's always busy from there until the second bridge (by the Princess of Wales) so I use the pavement cycle path (despite its stupid bollards e.g. http://goo.gl/maps/shT21 ). Then back onto the road for the short stretch under the trees until the bus lane up the Col du Clapton.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    EKE - you need to change the thread title.

'Cos "chaos", it aint.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Greg66 wrote:

'Cos "chaos", it aint.
    +1

lovely quiet commute this morning, roads are pretty much traffic free in London and seems to be less bikes too.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Gizmo_
    t4tomo wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

'Cos "chaos", it aint.
    +1

lovely quiet commute this morning, roads are pretty much traffic free in London and seems to be less bikes too.
    Yes, nice peaceful trip yesterday. Today I decided to hit the tube and it was suspended. Hmph.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I'd expect by now people have realised that Locog, the politicians and the unions all lied (as ever) and will start getting back to their normal lives over the next few days.

Hotel prices apparently now well below normal rates for this time of year.
    exercise.png
  • Gizmo_
    TheStone wrote:
    I'd expect by now people have realised that Locog, the politicians and the unions all lied (as ever) and will start getting back to their normal lives over the next few days.

Interesting. Clearly there are a *lot* of visitors from overseas, and they're very welcome. But it's high holiday season, London *always* has lots of visitors. I wonder if many people who would have come for a London "city holiday" are simply avoiding it because the Olympics is on...
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    TheStone wrote:

Interesting. Clearly there are a *lot* of visitors from overseas, and they're very welcome. But it's high holiday season, London *always* has lots of visitors. I wonder if many people who would have come for a London "city holiday" are simply avoiding it because the Olympics is on...

this plus lots who might have come for a normal holiday didn't because rooms were scare and expensive as LOCOG booked loads of rooms to sell at a premium with accomodation & hospitality etc but couldn't shift them so released the rooms back to the hoteliers last week
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Gizmo_
    TheStone wrote:
    Loving the War of the Worlds references in the comments. :D

Ooolaa.
  • bromyG
    bromyG Posts: 59
    Can anyone advise - travelling east from the Tower of London, can you still cycle down East Smithfield and onto The Highway or is that just Olympic lanes now? Not been that way still the Games started and wanted to be sure it was still open.

Thanks.

BromyG

Red Brompton S6L
  • sketchley
    bromyG wrote:
    Can anyone advise - travelling east from the Tower of London, can you still cycle down East Smithfield and onto The Highway or is that just Olympic lanes now? Not been that way still the Games started and wanted to be sure it was still open.

Thanks.

BromyG

From Tower Hill to the Highway both lanes are Olympic lanes, you should turn left at the tower and go all the way round one way system then turn left on to the Highway, note police were standing there eat bound on Thursday evening. The Highway itself, inside lane is fine but only wide enough for a car, outside lane is Olympic Lane and wdie enough fora big bus and a bike! Suggest if you want to stay legal riding a strong primary down the inside lane.
    --
    Chris

• keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Officially not, but I doubt anyone's going to pull you over for it. I've cycled down it.

http://www.getaheadofthegames.com/thing ... twork.html
    Cyclists can use all nearside Games Lanes, except:
    # A100 Tower Hill Terrace from Shorter Street to Mansell Street
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"