Improving my fitness and reducing my recovery time?

Hob Nob
Hob Nob Posts: 200
As i'm a little lost, and confused.

Background info: Had a road bike ~12 months, coming from a very low base level of fitness. 6'2" & ~175lbs

I use my commute (25k each way & ~200m climbing) as my training. On average, I do this 3 times a week. I would like to do more, but I seem to be struggling badly with dead leg syndrome & in general need a rest day inbetween. Always make sure I have a good stretch either end & stay hydrated all day as well.

Pace wise, I average 27.5kph, and have recently managed to break through the 30kph barrier (3 times now!) but that really is laying down everything I have.

I'd like to increase this to 4 times a week, even 5 whilst the weather permits - but I find if I 'back to back' days i'm really worn out. As an experiment I was planning on riding yesterday, today & tomorrow - so far so good, but I feel the pace will drop so much tomorrow it's going to be painfull :(

I seem to be ok on the flats, and can hold a decent pace, but really struggle on the hills. WIth a couple of half decent climbs (as decent as Hampshire has!) my pace really suffers, and it always feels like it's the legs giving up before the lungs.

Is it just a case of man up & get on with it? I did think of using the morning run as a recovery/cruise ride in, then I don't arrive at work a wreck also, and use the evening ride to bury myself, or should I structure the rides a bit better? If i'm doing it anyway, I may as well take advantage of doing it properly. The first 5k is reasonably urban, then moving on to country roads, if that makes any difference.

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    If you can't ride more at the intensity you're currently riding at then drop the intensity a bit. It sounds like you're maybe going out trying to hit a number every ride.
    More problems but still living....
  • Hob Nob
    That's a fair point, I would say i'm pushing myself every time.

Would it make more sense to back off and cruise on 50% of the riding, but on the others do a combination of intervals/hill sprints on the terrain I have on my route?
  • Spaniard
    Spaniard Posts: 69
    I've fallen into this trap myself - trying to pb on every ride. I found out recently that a couple of hard days in a week is enough for me. The remaining rides are at a lower intensity and are purely for the fun of being out on my bike. When it comes to the harder rides i'm fresher and can press on more. It's also more enjoyable to spend some time riding and not being in pain!
  • d87heaven
    d87heaven Posts: 348
    Your body needs time to adapt. Trying to go balls out all the time is not the best way to train. Try doing some of the rides at an easier pace. Plent of articles out there on how to train which will give you an idea of what to do. Don't worry you will get fitter. But it never gets easier.....you just get faster!
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    Steady miles for endurance interlaced with short but big efforts, 3mins should work with long enough recoveries (10mins should do it but I would just go by feel at this point) to be able to fully repeat the effort and aim for about 4-5 big efforts. 3 times a week with easy recovery / off days in between should be enough as a starting point.This should help improve recovery, repeatability and push your threshold up. You should see some improvements after a couple of weeks.

If you are hammering it every day you will probably be in a constant state of mild fatigue which will reduce your ability to hammer it when you really want to and therefore wont be pushing as high as you otherwise could if you are rested. A break every three to four weeks will help recovery too.

There's lots on the internet on how to train effectively. Check out Joe Friel and Hunter Allen. Some coaching websites have some free advice too. Also check out the toolbox section on pezcycling which has numerous articles from coaches.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    lef wrote:
    Steady miles for endurance interlaced with short but big efforts, 3mins should work with long enough recoveries (10mins should do it but I would just go by feel at this point) to be able to fully repeat the effort and aim for about 4-5 big efforts. 3 times a week with easy recovery / off days in between should be enough as a starting point.This should help improve recovery, repeatability and push your threshold up. You should see some improvements after a couple of weeks.

It will, but probably would be more effective to do threshold intervals instead of VO2max type intervals. I'd aim for >10mins, ideally about 20min. And 10min recovery after a 3min effort seems a little excessive.
    More problems but still living....
  • Hob Nob
    Thanks.

I'd say yes, generally I feel mildly fatigued, so will wind back a bit on the morning rides in, and the evening rides home when i'm not looking to do any training.

I'll do some reading about how to go about it, but I think if I can fit in something on the home bound rides on the Monday, Weds & Friday, that may well work for me. The distance means I can get 4 or 5 decent reps in with a good recovery inbetween.

Today was my third ride in a row, and I feel alright actually, but have made a conscious effort to go slower & not beast myself. Next week i'll try for every day.

I do get a natural break every while, due to work commitments, also I tend to lose interest in the rain :mrgreen:
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Are you doing any longer rides?

>18mph for a 15 mile ride isn't slow, especially if your longest ride is 15 miles. I suspect you would find that you'll improve a lot if you can manage a 40 mile ride on a Saturday morning as well. That way your body will soon adapt to see the commute as a relatively short ride and you'll find it significantly less knackering (even at speed).
  • Hob Nob
    I do occasionally get out, but probably not on a regular enough basis, probably once a month/every 6 weeks, normally 60/80k - I have to go in a group though as I get a bit bored :?

Weekends are normally reserved for MTB, so i'm not sat doing nothing & 25k on the MTB feels more like 50 on the road bike!