Europe this summer - July?

partialD
partialD Posts: 11
edited June 2012 in Tour & expedition
Anyone else planning on doing some touring in Europe this July, I'm planning at the minute to go to Belgium, France, Switzerland. But at present i'm going solo - I feel fine with this if a little apprehensive but this is a good thing to feel (as long as I don't back out of my plan to just go!!)
Anyway - I am wondering if there is any advice on tents to use or tarp or what have you yourself done??

Also if there is anyone else wanting to go on a journey or are already set up to go and wouldn't mind some more company that would be great :)

Comments

• andrewleck
    andrewleck Posts: 45
    Hi,

I am catching the European Bike Express coach to Valence on the 30 th June, Planning on 3 weeks touring,and getting picked up by the same coach in Lourdes on the 22nd July. Expecting to cover around 1000 miles and climb over 26,000m. Probably around 50 miles a day with a couple of rest days.

itinerary includes:

Combe Laval
    Col de la Machine
    Col de croix fer
    Alpe D'huez
    Col de Vars
    Col d'Izoard
    Col de Bonett
    Verdon Gorge
    Mt Ventoux,
    Col de Portet d'Aspet
    Peyresourde
    Aspin
    Tourmalet
    Cirque de Gavie

Also planning on stopping of at Pont du Garde and chateauneuf du pape etc etc and hopefully catch a stage finish in Bagneres.

Carrying a tent etc etc and planning to stay on municipel sites and the odd B&B if weather turns really bad. Might have a couple of offers of free accommodation from couch surfing but unsure if they would extend to two guests, willing to ask though.

43 yo male, and I am doing this ride as a charity fundraiser for a Greyhound charity I am involved with, Sighthoundsonline.org Touring solo at present, but wouldn't be adverse to company, this is my first tour and not planning on setting any speed records, only thing will be I will be looking to make an early start each day to avoid mid day heat/ plenty of time to sightsee/ take it steady etc etc 8)
  • Ness1
    Ness1 Posts: 12
    I use a Saunders jet pack tent, weighs 1.5kg and small pack size.
  • Majeed
    Majeed Posts: 20
    I'm planning to ride whole of France in July - from Calais to Marseilles.

No one wants to go with me :(

What's the situation with sleeping in tent in France? is it safe? especially if you travel alone? Would you set your tent on the camp side or in the forest? :mrgreen:

By the way I'm also planning to do about 50 miles a day.
  • dylanfernley
    dylanfernley Posts: 409
    there are no bears or wolves so you should be okay, the municipal sites are ace, but you can camp most places if your discreet and don't mind an early start, stick to the minor roads for stress free travel and more interest
  • Majeed
    there are no bears or wolves so you should be okay, the municipal sites are ace, but you can camp most places if your discreet and don't mind an early start, stick to the minor roads for stress free travel and more interest
    There are foxes :lol:
    but the worst are humans :?
  • dylanfernley
    you will be very unlucky to have a bad experience cycling in france, tis a great place where cyclists are given plenty of respect, unlike uk.

I take it you have some touring experience, either way its a big adventure non?
  • Majeed
    you will be very unlucky to have a bad experience cycling in france, tis a great place where cyclists are given plenty of respect, unlike uk.

I take it you have some touring experience, either way its a big adventure non?

I have some experience but never that far and never alone.
    Last time there was 12 of us!

I need to find someone to go with me
  • dylanfernley
    go on your own-- beleive me it will make you interact with all kinds of people that in a group does not happen, what can go wrong ?
  • Majeed
    edited June 2012
    go on your own-- beleive me it will make you interact with all kinds of people that in a group does not happen, what can go wrong ?
    I think I will go by myself.
    I've only been to France by car before. Am little concerned about thieves, robbery and stuff like that. It is always safer to have someone with you.
  • dylanfernley
    don't worry -- they will not bother a cyclist, you won't come across them people, they go for big cities and tourist spots, like everywhere-- when you on the bike you in touch with the enviroment unlike a car, have a good time and not worry about bad stuff
  • andrewleck
    Majeed wrote:
    I think I will go by myself.
    I've only been to France by car before. Am little concerned about thieves, robbery and stuff like that. It is always safer to have someone with you.

Your still more than welcome to join me
  • Majeed
    You said you wanna start on 30th June?

I will be moving houses next week, so I need to be here, but I could join you somewhere in France in about 2-3 weeks.
  • andrewleck
    Majeed wrote:
    You said you wanna start on 30th June?

I will be moving houses next week, so I need to be here, but I could join you somewhere in France in about 2-3 weeks.

Unfortunately I am only away for 3 weeks so plan on returning on the 22nd.
  • Majeed
    Has anyone done trip like that alone before? Can you share you experience with me?
  • looe
    looe Posts: 12
    Majeed wrote:
    Has anyone done trip like that alone before? Can you share you experience with me?

I did a 3 week tour in Brittany early summer last year. I was cycling alone and loved it. You do what you want without compromises. Never felt unsafe and the French love cyclists. April 7 2013 I quit my job to go cycle touring in infinity, hope I live a long time !!!! During the winter I will stop at HelpX hosts and work for accomodation and food. Have a great time, I know you will
    CUBE Touring 2010
    Trek 1200
  • Majeed
    But isn't it boring to go alone?

And let's say I need to go to toilet on the petrol station, shop, restaurant or any other place, what do I do with the bike and baggage?
  • dylanfernley
    are you serious-- sounds either you haven't toured before or a WUM
  • dylanfernley
    i've toured alone many times, makes some things very easy, if however you don't like your own company then i suggest its not for you. petrol is not needed on a bicycle, do you think this is a motorbike site ?
  • Majeed
    I never toured alone! Always had at least one person with me. One goes to shop/toilet, other stays with bikes.
    I gave you petrol station as example of place where you can stop on the road
  • andrewleck
    I just plan on removing the barbag with all cash in etc and the gps. Lock the bike to the nearest heavy/solid object. Not too worried tbh, anyone else would struggle to ride the bike as I use Frogs, they would certainly struggle to lift it :rofl: I suppose so long as it is parked in an open public place no one is going to start rummaging through the panniers or running off with them. It only the same as camping, you leave all your kit in the tent everday when you go out etc.
  • Majeed
    I wanted to hear that! Thanks very much!

In some countries leaving your stuff in the tent is not safe. My mum used to work in the camping reception about 15 years ago in Poland and she said quite often French people used to leave their stuff in the tent for whole day, when they came back nothing was there. passport, wallet GONE.
  • andrewleck
    Majeed wrote:
    In some countries leaving your stuff in the tent is not safe. My mum used to work in the camping reception about 15 years ago in Poland and she said quite often French people used to leave their stuff in the tent for whole day, when they came back nothing was there. passport, wallet GONE.

From what I have heard in discussion forums and seen when touring France, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Germany in an open top I think I would rather leave a loaded bike parked unshackled outside a town Boulangerie or Supermarche than leave an unloaded bike welded to the spot outside my local Asda.

Like I said carry your most valuable items with you in a barbag (cash cards passport) I don't think rural France is a hot bed of thieves on the make from fencing dirty underwear and panniers but you never know!!

I guess worrying along the lines of will it still be there when I have been for a slash, you really aren't going to enjoy solo touring, paranoia is a terrible mistress.
  • Majeed
    Other issue is getting new sleeping bag. The one I have is old school. Too big to take.

I saw one very small sleeping bag (small when packed), which was obviously a benefit. I opened it in the shop and it was like a single layer polyester waterproof jacket, if you know what I mean. Would it keep the warmth? (I know it's gonna be hot anyway) Would it be comfortable?
  • andrewleck
    Majeed wrote:
    Other issue is getting new sleeping bag. The one I have is old school. Too big to take.

I saw one very small sleeping bag (small when packed), which was obviously a benefit. I opened it in the shop and it was like a single layer polyester waterproof jacket, if you know what I mean. Would it keep the warmth? (I know it's gonna be hot anyway) Would it be comfortable?

You need to look to what temp it is comfort rated. Down bags are best. As with everything you get what you pay for and light and warm in a small package is expensive.
  • dylanfernley
    Majeed, have you done any cycle touring with camping before ?
  • Majeed
    Majeed, have you done any cycle touring with camping before ?
    Hostels only.
    It's better to ask, innit?
  • dylanfernley
    ok, now i see your trepidation, it may seem daunting but thousands of people tour on their own with lightweight kit, this is important as it gets very tiring and unenjoyable with unsuitable gear, don't have to cost the earth, but always get the best you can afford. You can get good stuff second hand, a good light weight tent is a must, a compact sleeping bag, an inflatable mat, for me a good nights sleep is essential for your well being, i always take cooking stove and pan set, basically be as self sufficient as possible and then you as free as is possible.

don't be scared to make mistakes,they are often the best way to learn, but good luck, and whatever happens you will have unforgettable memories
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    Majeed.
    Get Edward Enfields book "Downhill all the way". He rides alone from top to bottom of France. If a 60yr old bloke can do it, so can anybody. It's a good laugh and of course you get a route.

I never understand why people ask for companions but say very little about themselves, age, type of accommadation they want to use, fitness levels, bike, location etc, etc and then wonder why they get little or no replies.
    If I was possibly going to spend 24/7 with somebody I would like to know something about them.
  • dylanfernley
    Forgotton about that book, a great read, and inspirational in its own way, have toured with groups, but always take my own gear in case it all goes wrong, as you say spending 24/7 with someone is a committment and a half, for me solo touring is hassle free most of the time, tis good to meet people and to say au revoir!
  • Majeed
    Last year I've done many one day mountain bike rides on my own, but never so long and far. That's why I'm concerned.
    You helped me a lot :wink:
    bigjim wrote:
    Majeed.
    Get Edward Enfields book "Downhill all the way". He rides alone from top to bottom of France. If a 60yr old bloke can do it, so can anybody. It's a good laugh and of course you get a route.
    Will read it :)
    bigjim wrote:
    I never understand why people ask for companions but say very little about themselves, age, type of accommadation they want to use, fitness levels, bike, location etc, etc...
    I'm 22, student. You know what accommodation I wanna use already. I have mountain bike, which I modified a little bit, added road tires, etc.

I'm thinking about starting from my parents home in a village in Essex (right next to Stansted Airport). Or just ask my dad to give me lift to Dover and start from there :mrgreen: