Top Speed

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited May 2012 in The bottom bracket
Just for a little light hearted post now, thought it would be interesting to see what peoples top speeds are on their bikes. I know its all dependant on weight/gradient/wind etc but on a flat road with no wind what have you hit?

My personal best was about 27mph on my road bike only for about a minute though this was on the commute home on my road bike on the hoods. Oddly I seem to be faster in this position than on the drops, I'm sure some racing snakes out there have hit crazy speeds so what's your best?

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    On the flat - 39.1mph with an accurate computer backed up by GPS
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    edited May 2012
    42mph on my mtb with nobblies on, down a very steep hill mind! would love to try the same hill on a road bike!
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    Holy hell 39 on the flat impressive, im guessing the mtb was down a hill either that or you had an engine
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    mr_eddy wrote:
    Holy hell 39 on the flat impressive, im guessing the mtb was down a hill either that or you had an engine

Only for about 100 yards mind, and felt physically sick afterwards. Heart rate went over 200bpm too!! I wont be trying to out-sprint Cav anytime soon :mrgreen:
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    edit due to it being a pile of bollox. :)
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Along Southend seafront I once got up to 42.5 mph, now I'm prepared to admit that there was a hurricane blowing at my back but WOW!!!!....what a feeling! It's as close as I'm ever going to get to knowing what it feels like being Mark Cavendish.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Good thread.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    this year on the flat 30.1 , i must have held it for about 5 seconds - was made up - what i find amazing is the amount of power needed to get from 25 to 30 - it just seems phenomenal, how cav teh pros do it i'll never know/
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • BBH
    BBH Posts: 476
    29.5 for me, great fun but really hard work!!!
    2012 Scott Foil 10 (Shimano dura ace) - in progress
    2011 Cervelo S2 (SRAM Red/Force)
    2011 Cannondale Caad 10 (Shimano 105)

"Hills Hurt, Couches Kill!!"
    Twitter: @MadRoadie
  • sjacob33
    sjacob33 Posts: 38
    My best on the flat slight tail wind was 64.4 km/h that was for the last 100 m held about 55 km/h for about the km and a half before that
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Obree is aiming for 100mph. Therefore, my modest claim of 70 seems totally reasonable.
    In all honesty, no idea on the flat. Lower mid 30's I guess.
  • DorsetKnob
    DorsetKnob Posts: 79
    Been trying to break the 50mph barrier (down hill!!) in the last couple of weeks. Got 49.4 (doh!)
    on Monday. Wind was favourable but I think I need an 11 cog (12 at the mo) on the back in order to do it. There is a steeper hill round the corner but the surface is really sh1t and it would be too dangerous. Its good fun and a little scary, and being nearly 50 years old probably a little irresponsible, but hey-ho, I've got private medical cover!
    Battaglin C11
    Carrera LRS2
    Carrera Jabberwock
    Kona Paddy wagon fixed
    Carlton Catalina
  • Dougall
    Dougall Posts: 49
    55 down a hill side in the Pyrenean foothills about 14 years ago. Road was dead straight & really steep coupled with a tailwind.

Hit 41.9 down the Rest & Be Thankful around 6 weeks ago.

29.5MPH on the road to work this morning for about a mile
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Anyone got any pics of 'their' cycling computer to verify ?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    1 million miles per hour.

Beat that! :D

Unfortunately forgot to take pic of computer...
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    108348 kph is my highest speed. Obviously if I cycle East it's slightly higher, and if I cycle west, it's slightly lower.

(This doesn't take into account the sun's orbit arount the center of the galaxy and galactic drift of somethinig like 552 to 630 km per second, 'cause that would just be silly !)
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I win!

202.2 mph :shock:

As verified by my Garmin. And yes I was on my bike, not a plane.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/139288317

You do trust your Garmin. Don't you? :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    3mph.
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    42mph heading east towards Hexham
    32mph on the Bowery '72 s/s near home
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    39mph (gps) down Here

fecking scary
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    What's 'flat'? :lol:

Seriously - naff all truly flat around here. If I ride for 30 miles it starts to get flat but otherwise no chance :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    On the flat, I'm going for 26.8 mph recorded on my Garmin as shown on the zoomed-in section of Strava below.

Kbdk7.png
    http://app.strava.com/rides/6778920#z3659|3688
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    The speed of light. It must be true my mate said I was behind him one minute and the next, I'd disappeared.

I can only assume I must have been going at the speed of light :shock: Well, either that or me mate put the hammer down and it was in actual fact him that disappeared. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • mikeabanks
    mikeabanks Posts: 116
    I got 32mph going into a 30 limit :-)

http://app.strava.com/rides/8235545#150985044

Please don't look at the return journey ;-)
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    Don't want to poop on your party guys and girls but just be careful out there.

It was shortly after achieveing my highest speed of the year (45.1mph and yes I like going fast too) down a hill near me that one of my front spokes gave up the ghost on one of the many grotty bits of lovely road we have in this country (wasn't even a proper pothole). Fortunately I'd already slowed a bit for some bendy bits.
    Luckily the (low spoke count) wheel didn't disintegrate and nothing caught in anything else so I stayed on until I finally stopped.
    After that it was a call to the emergency breakdown service (MrsB), as the wheel was then in a nice unrideable tacho shape and the slow realisation that things could have been very different.
    Looking back at the Strava I was doing around 34mph and on a bend when it went. :shock:

I'll still be going down hills fast but maybe just a little slower than before and on my sturdier wheels :D
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    For me on the flat 35 mph sprinting.

When going downhill 45 is fast enough for me.

Though have seen my 18 stone 6'5" mate hit 65 mph descending. I was petrified for him. He just laughed.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    daviesee wrote:
    I win!

202.2 mph :shock:

As verified by my Garmin. And yes I was on my bike, not a plane.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/139288317

You do trust your Garmin. Don't you? :wink:

Pathetic, If we're going on GPS readings I managed 2 miles at 2,409 mph on a run last weekend.
  • willhub
    willhub Posts: 821
    37mph on the flat, but that was AGES ago I'm sure I could hit over 40 now since on a good day with a nice tailwind I can hold 35mph for a few miles.
  • StorckSpeed
    StorckSpeed Posts: 291
    During a recent TT my Bloody Bryton lost satellite and just generally went haywire. Later when I downloaded the stats I did 8 miles in 20 seconds which is apparently 932mph. Unfortunately the Guinness Book of Records aren't interested in my claim as being the fastests Human Powered Vehicle, do you think I can sue them or something. :-)
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    On the flat ~27 i think... got a little way to go until I beat Cav -> apparently he's topped out a sprint at 49mph