MET Helmets

steelie600
steelie600 Posts: 519
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Only me again mithering!!

Im just about to buy a brain protector, and a bit unsure as what to buy tbh. Im looking at a MET Parachute, the one with the chin bar. Does anyone on here have one?? And whats it like to wear?? Does the chin bar do your nut in etc...

Also is MET a good brand?? Ive seen some good BELL helmets and theyre a brand I know from motorsport so I already have product knowledge of them but no idea about MET

I have seen the review on here but want a real world opinion please

Cheers

Kev
Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph

Comments

• steelie600
    Nobody use a met parachute then??

this one im on about
    attachment.php?attachmentid=115314&stc=1&d=1292459337
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Awful thing unless you want to look like a collosal clot.
  • steelie600
    Awful thing unless you want to look like a collosal clot.

I already do kid! LOL

I just fancy the extra protection the chin bar gives without resorting to a full face. PLUS I can take the chin bar off if I wanted
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Always make me think of
    alien-illustration.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    Startling resemblance but what about the helmet?
  • barty81
    barty81 Posts: 145
    Looks a bit poo imo! Dont think the chin protection would withstand much.
    Giant xtc
    Canyon nerve am 7
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have had a 'chute since 2009. It's basically a very well ventilated trail lid with a bolt-on chinpiece. The interior is spartan like a rally car but it's light and comfortable and it does its job. There are times when I feel like wearing it and times when I don't.

Cratoni also do a range of helmets with removable chinpieces.

BTW the rrp is outrageous if you look around you can find them for £80 or less.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,778
    Not got one of those Parachute jobs, but MET seems like a decent brand based on the Kaos Ultralite I've had for the last couple of years. It's well made, light and pretty comfortable.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • steelie600
    cheers guys, gonna have a look at cratoni now, and yeah no way im paying a ton and half for a lid!! Ive seen em for £60 on ebay
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • .blitz
    If you can get a Parachute for £60 that's a good price. In terms of quality it's not in the same league as Giro for example the finish on the shell is OK rather than amazing and the straps/fasteners etc are just average. £150 is an absolute joke.

It doesn't fit like a ff there are no cheek pads or neck roll but the chinpiece is a good psychological prop even though I doubt it would actually do much in the event of a proppa face plant. For me it's deflected the odd branch now and then and it's cosier than an open face during the winter but I've not 'tested' it any more than that.

As you'd expect the Parachute works fine with normal sunglasses and the chinpiece doesn't get in the way of a drinks tube but err...clearing one's nose can be tricky
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Helmets are a very personal thing, check it fits your head first.

I have a MET shaped head and I love my Kaos helmet. I didn't get on well with Giro helmets doesn't mean they are bad helmets, just not right for me.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    jairaj wrote:

I have a MET shaped head and I love my Kaos helmet. I didn't get on well with Giro helmets doesn't mean they are bad helmets, just not right for me.

This!!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I use a MET on my road bike - it's great; they make some nice helmets. Not sure how much inroad they've made with their MTB range but I wouldn't doubt the quality of construction.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    jairaj wrote:

This!!
    THIS
    They all vary in head shape. And they're considerably less useful if they don't fit your noggin properly.
  • steelie600
    jairaj wrote:

This!!
    THIS
    They all vary in head shape. And they're considerably less useful if they don't fit your noggin properly.

Oh yeah ill be trying one first! I have a Shoei shaped head if that counts, AGV give me a headache and Arai are comfy just not as good fitting as a Shoei

So yep im aware of different fitting, But thanks for the heads up anyhoo!
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • jairaj
    Ignoring any fitting issues, the Met Parachute has some very mixed reviews. Do a search for it and you'll get all sorts from very positive to very negative reviews. I think its another personal thing like SPD or Flats. some people like it some people don't.

Either way don't be fooled into thinking it'll offer any where near the same protection a full face lid will have.
  • .blitz
    steelie600 wrote:
    I have a Shoei shaped head if that counts, AGV give me a headache and Arai are comfy
    You probably won't get on with it then. I've always been an Arai man; Shoei sit on the front and back of my head and leave a big gap at the sides.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    .blitz wrote:
    steelie600 wrote:
    I have a Shoei shaped head if that counts, AGV give me a headache and Arai are comfy
    You probably won't get on with it then. I've always been an Arai man; Shoei sit on the front and back of my head and leave a big gap at the sides.
    Shoei head here. Arai just too narrow.

Bell. Uvex and Met. have fitted but not all of each.

as we always say get your head in as many as you can.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I've had a MET Veleno for 5 years or so. I'm pretty happy with it.
  • steelie600
    Cool so were saying its a decent enough lid then! Thats good, now to find some where that stocks it to try one. Halfords sell them but only to order and wont get a display one for me to try (I think they must know im not gonna buy it off them LOL)

I might take a trip to Leisure lakes at weekend see if theyve got any
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Why won't you buy it from Halfords?
    I often check out helmets in the local bike shops, and don't mind paying a little extra, since that's actually one of the services I'm paying extra for!
  • jairaj
    +1 I'm always up for a bargain of the internet but you have to give credit where its due. If the a shop has something in stock that I really want try before I buy then I tend to buy from them.
  • steelie600

Because they want £150 for one, when its £60 or thereabouts on Ebay from wollyhatshop etc. Bonafide bike businesses just not robbing front bottoms like halfords. OH and Halfords Crewe has two complete fu ck nuggets in there, that A: Had no idea what a quick release seat post clamp was, and B: Also had no idea of what innertubes are suitable for a 2.25" MTB tyre!! Apparently one for a 1.5-1.75" tyre will be fine!!

ERGO Halfrauds will not be getting my money!
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • steelie600
    OH and let me add to this, whilst I was in above Halfrauds the otherday a woman rang in with a puncture and she was advised about changing tyre and tube if theres not a lot of tread left (ok theyre redeeming themselves a touch here).
    The guy told her about the price of tyre and tubs, again not too bad, and then £30 to fit a tyre and tube!! KIN ELL im in the wrong business!! 10 mins work for £30 and probably less because theyve probably got a compressor and no need to use a track pump!!
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • YeehaaMcgee
    steelie600 wrote:

Because they want £150 for one
    ah, fair enough!
  • bennett_346
    steelie600 wrote:
    and B: Also had no idea of what innertubes are suitable for a 2.25" MTB tyre!! Apparently one for a 1.5-1.75" tyre will be fine!!

ERGO Halfrauds will not be getting my money!
    They would be fine though.
  • steelie600
    the rubber would be too thin, wayy thinner than a tube actually designed for purpose! And more prone to punctures!

As it stands I got 2 Continental DH inner tubes 2.2"-2.5" and 2 rim tapes for LESS than one cheapo INCORRECT innertube at Halfords

Im not disputing theyll inflate the tyre and do a reasonable jobs, you cannot give a customer advice like that! Its factually and legally wrong!
    I sell tyres and tubes for motorbikes all day long, its my job. If I told a customer a tube for a 90/60 -17 tyre would fit in a 120/70-17 tyre and be ok and they had a blowout Id be in Altcourse prison before I knew what had hit me!
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • bennett_346
    Well i've used 1.5 tubes for a 2.4 for two years now without problems. I don't puncture. And i don't mince about at trail centres either, i'm talking about weekly riding in sharp rocky environments.

As for your statement about it being factually incorrect and illegal, well lets just say my mouthful of coffee is now all over my keyboard...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I use smaller tubes all the time. The shop should have explained the pros and cons. Certainly not illegal or factually incorrect.
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    steelie600 wrote:
    Also had no idea of what innertubes are suitable for a 2.25" MTB tyre!! Apparently one for a 1.5-1.75" tyre will be fine!!

How to demonstrate you have even less knowledge of mountain bikes than the people in Halfords :lol::lol::lol:
This discussion has been closed.