OT - road bike for 6 year old

2»

Comments

• mitb
    mitb Posts: 78
    Number 2 son went to Palmer Park Velo childrens track racing club in Reading for a bit when he was 5, they fitted him out with an Islabikes drop bar something (I could have sworn it was 20" wheels but i can't find such a thing on the net..so I guess it might have been a Luath 24"). He was 5 at the time and at the absolute limits, ok on the track under supervision but the thought of him riding it on the road makes my blood run cold.

You're not a million miles away, you could go along to an intro session and do a bit of research, they have plenty of loan bikes. I think you'll struggle finding a road bike that fits well for general use though. The boy's got a Trek mtb that he loves and gives him confidence, that has to be No.1. I wonder how hard it would be to drop-bar-up a mountain bike...

Interesting to hear some criticism of islabikes, it's like slagging off Mother Teresa but they're not actually perfect, just better than the rest. The bikes at the club had to adapt the brake levers with bolts so they were near enough to the bars for little hands, that should be thought of at the factory really. They are overly expensive and a bit smug, but they do try harder than most to sell good kids bikes.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Isla is lovely.

SmallAH is almost out of her Beinn and I'm going to have to upsize for her - good news is that I fully expect to get at least 80% back on this one against the next (clever see, went for red so no boy/girl issues on resale).

You're correct though, they are only just a bit better than most of the (decent) stuff out there for kids, but it's as much about the brand recognition =resale value as anything else.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Meh.
    3 1/2 YO has new Cnoc 16.
    OK so far.

Now she wants a turbo trainer like her big brother has.
    :roll:
  • What are people's thoughts on the Team GB kids racing bike?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympics-Team-GB-Kids-Racing/dp/B005J2N4IE/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp

They were RRP £200, but I can find very little info. on weight, components etc. Looks a decent enough bike for £100.

Any thoughts?
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    What are people's thoughts on the Team GB kids racing bike?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympics-Team-GB-Kids-Racing/dp/B005J2N4IE/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp

They were RRP £200, but I can find very little info. on weight, components etc. Looks a decent enough bike for £100.

Any thoughts?

honestly?

POS
    FCN = 4
  • MTB-Idle wrote:
    honestly?

POS

No, disingenuously only please! 8)
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    all components look snide!

probably ok for a kid though, the rims will be hexagon shaped in a few days from wacking kerbs
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • It's probably not as nice as this one...

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-junior-id_8129804.html
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    TGOTB wrote:
    Looking for a road or cross bike for my youngest; she's 120cm tall (55cm inside leg), so too small for the smallest Islabike Luath. Anyone know whether it's possible to get a bike this small with drop bars?
    So she's looking at a 20" bike I guess?

I'd say you have no chance of a decent "road bike" and to be honest I also wonder if there is any point? Still learning at that age and drops are not going to help matters at all.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • A bit big for a 6 year old but the Dawes Team GB 24" Junior Lightweight Road Bike looks halfway decent for the money.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem