OT - road bike for 6 year old

tgotb
tgotb Posts: 4,714
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
Looking for a road or cross bike for my youngest; she's 120cm tall (55cm inside leg), so too small for the smallest Islabike Luath. Anyone know whether it's possible to get a bike this small with drop bars?
Pannier, 120rpm.

Comments

• greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    If you have better eyes than me, you might be able to make out the frame...

Lightweights.jpg
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • tgotb
    Blimey! I promise she won't be getting the deep rims, skinsuit or pointy hat...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Haven't researched it specifically, but I do know that one of the big benefits of Islabikes is the geometry is such that the child can have a bigger wheel size for their height than with other kids frames. If the Luath is too big then I doubt you'll find any other bike suitable

Why do you need a 'road' bike'? At the sort of speed a six year old is doing I can't see there being much advantage to drop bars. IMHO you're better off with an Islabike in the right size with the tyres swapped to 'slicks'
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    TGOTB wrote:

That was a little joke. Those are Lightweight Standard gen 3s. Well north of £2k a pair.

That kid must have very competitive parents. The other kids seem to have the right idea for a kids' bike race.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Start the nipper as you wish them to carry on?

Valentino Rossi and Fernando Alonso were both riding motorbikes/driving karts respectively at the age of four. I've heard they have both been quite sucessful in their fields.
    Maybe its a Spanish thing?
    Maybe TGOTB is Spanish?
    These questions—and many others—will be answered in the next episode of...Soap.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • tgotb
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Valentino Rossi and Fernando Alonso were both riding motorbikes/driving karts respectively at the age of four. I've heard they have both been quite sucessful in their fields.
    Maybe TGOTB is Spanish?
    I'm not Spanish, though TGOTB Junior is half-Swedish.

Main reasons for wanting her to have drops are the same reasons most of us prefer drops, and if she's going to end up on them anyway she might aswell start now...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • EKE_38BPM
    TGOTB wrote:
    I'm not Spanish, though TGOTB Junior is half-Swedish.

Main reasons for wanting her to have drops are the same reasons most of us prefer drops, and if she's going to end up on them anyway she might aswell start now...
    Seeing as you're not Spanish, maybe drops is a step too far for a 6 year old. Speed and getting into as aero a position as possible isn't such a big issue at 6.

Unless you are attempting to raise a future world champ and this is a deliberate step on that path.

• tgotb
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Seeing as you're not Spanish, maybe drops is a step too far for a 6 year old. Speed and getting into as aero a position as possible isn't such a big issue at 6.

Unless you are attempting to raise a future world champ and this is a deliberate step on that path.
    Nope, I'm very keen that my kids do some sort of sport moderately well, because I know what a lot you can get out of sport, but the last thing any kid needs is a pushy parent trying to live their failed ambitions through their offspring. Having seen it happen a lot in sailing, I have some quite strong views on the subject!

She does quite a lot more cycling than most kids her age (4 miles a day "commuting", which she loves) and is desparately keen for a bike that looks like the ones the (albeit older) kids in her group at the cycling club ride. Assuming one actually exists, why not?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Maybe a bit big for now, but Islabikes have been mentioned on the forum before.

Seem to remember someone saying they hold their value well too.
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Greg66 wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

That was a little joke. Those are Lightweight Standard gen 3s. Well north of £2k a pair.

That kid must have very competitive parents. The other kids seem to have the right idea for a kids' bike race.

OT a bit, but my best mate lives on the Isle of Man. The race reports for the 4-5 year old ategory make the sports pages, complete with pictures.

@TGOTB - can anyone at the Slipstreamers recommend one? Alternatively, ask Nic at KW as her son's been racing cross for some time.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    lastant wrote:
    Maybe a bit big for now, but Islabikes have been mentioned on the forum before.

Seem to remember someone saying they hold their value well too.

As a matter of interest, did you read any of the OP?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Greg66 wrote:
    As a matter of interest, did you read any of the OP?

Ha! No...completely missed that bit, I do apologise. Long day and I'm distracted watching Norwich vs. Celtic.

I'll meekly creep away from this thread now... :oops:
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Greg66 wrote:

Lightweights.jpg

Son of Greg ?
  • monkeydan
    monkeydan Posts: 95
    Those don't look like clipless pedals to me...

FAIL
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
  • monkeydan
    monkeydan Posts: 95
    Also that kid's wheel is WAY in front of the line... lil cheater!!
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
  • EKE_38BPM
    Greg66 wrote:

Lightweights.jpg

Son of Greg ?
    No. Its the bike RC hopes to grow into one day. Grow into as in grow big enough to ride, not turn into when he's older, but you all knew that.

• jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    TGOTB wrote:
    Looking for a road or cross bike for my youngest; she's 120cm tall (55cm inside leg), so too small for the smallest Islabike Luath. Anyone know whether it's possible to get a bike this small with drop bars?
    Sounds a a couple of inches too short to me. She''ll grow.
    AFAICT, the Luath 24 has about 5.75m rollout, so geared for Youth C / U12, not Youth E / U8.
    Have you looked at the jumps on an SRAM 8-speed 11-32 cassette ?
    It would make more sense to me if it were a double (?34/24?) and/or was 9-speed at the back (less jumpy & more options).

The kid with the aero lid looks like they need a shorter stem. Why the hands on the tops ?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,732
    Photoshop innit?
  • ste_
    ste_ Posts: 124
    Why not 'phone and speak to them at Islabike? They're massively helpful and I imagine will fit you out with a Beinn with drops if it's possible.

My tribe are slowly working through the Isla range and every one of them has been fantastic so far.
  • tgotb
    ste_ wrote:
    Why not 'phone and speak to them at Islabike? They're massively helpful and I imagine will fit you out with a Beinn with drops if it's possible.

My tribe are slowly working through the Isla range and every one of them has been fantastic so far.
    Hmmm... That's a very good idea!
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Lightweights.jpg
    Photoshop innit?

I don't think it is, I'm sure I read an article about this kid and his bike somewhere....

Anyway, it doesn't matter as the little girl with the steely determination on the blue sit-up-and-beg budgie is gonna cream him. You know she is
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    TGOTB wrote:

Have you asked what she wants? I was one of - no wait I was the only kid with a racer back in the days and wished I had mtb style bars for their greater steering control...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Looks like an MTB frame......

He is a very serious little boy....
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Looks like an MTB frame......

He has a very serious and competitive parent....
    FTFY
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,732
    SimonAH wrote:

I don't think it is, I'm sure I read an article about this kid and his bike somewhere....

Can you get lightweights that size?!
  • jejv
    TGOTB wrote:

Have you asked what she wants? I was one of - no wait I was the only kid with a racer back in the days and wished I had mtb style bars for their greater steering control...
    Is this about having drop bars 'cos the big kids & grown ups have them, or is this about the aero & ergo benefits of ~shoulder-width controls set at an angle that minimises wrist & arm strain ?

If the latter, there are other ways of skinning the cat.
    It is quite possible to be "on the hoods" or "on the drops" with MTB controls.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Maybe TGOTB is Spanish?

Surely for Valentino Rossi it'd have to be an Italian thing?
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Check out Decathlon's Triban Junior. Might just fit the bill.
  • jejv
    ste_ wrote:

I spoke to them a couple of days ago.
    If you order a bike, they send the order to China. I doubt that deviation from standard orders would fall within their business model. Please correct me someone.
    That's why they have a two week lead time.
    Among other things, I asked if they sold frames. No.
    jejv wrote:
    Have you looked at the jumps on an SRAM 8-speed 11-32 cassette ?
    Anyone done that ? Eh ?
    I doubt that any of you roadies would put up with gearing like that. So why should your kids put up with it ?
    Maybe the kids think they're great. But then they haven't tried 13-23 in flatland or 13-34 (9sp) on the steep hills.

Ms Benn tries a bit - and more than most. But not very hard really.
    The best thing about her bikes is probably the social status of her bikes.

So I might buy a Luath 24 in a year or two. But turning it into an decent bike for a -say- 6YO would take some work.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Mouth wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Maybe TGOTB is Spanish?

Surely for Valentino Rossi it'd have to be an Italian thing?

Good point. EKE fail!