Comments

• Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    bompington wrote:
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    Hacked off? No chance. I love it.

All the grumpy sods why not just run & hide somewhere. before you know it it'll all be over and you'll be back to your dream world of no Olympics, no next big thing, back to the routine of life.

Bring on the Olympics.

I don't need the Olympics to have "next big things" in my life.
    Me neither
    Quite right, if you want to be grumpy there's more than enough to be grumpy about on a daily basis

Not grumpy, just not starry eyed
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Heard something today about toilets in the Olympic park/areas are to have any manufacturers
    branding/logo covered up with tape for the duration of the games. Someone tell me it's not true!
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Yes...
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    garryc wrote:
    You can't take your own food in and have to buy the 'offical' food? crazy.

The mighty "free" market at work, before which we should bend the knee.

Choice

You'll find this is the same at any major stadium they have the right to stop you bringin it in, though the clubs rarely enforce it, Hamdpen does!
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Redhog14 wrote:
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    garryc wrote:

Choice

You'll find this is the same at any major stadium they have the right to stop you bringin it in, though the clubs rarely enforce it, Hamdpen does!

If it had been a showcase of the exciting new traditional and ethnic food that this country has to offer, completely overturning the out-of-date perception as a land of rubbish food, then I'd agree.

But a monopoly on American junk fast food? No.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    Redhog14 wrote:
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    garryc wrote:

Choice

If it had been a showcase of the exciting new traditional and ethnic food that this country has to offer, completely overturning the out-of-date perception as a land of rubbish food, then I'd agree.

But a monopoly on American junk fast food? No.

Good job you didn't get any tickets then :).
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    edited May 2012
    Just been looking at ticket prices - if you want to watch any of the track cycling finals you have to pay upwards of £50. Same with the swimming.

I wanted to take my wife to watch Hungary in the water polo, but schedules haven't been announced yet. I'd like to take her to see them in action against another top team like Croatia, but knowing my luck we'd end up watching some shite like Greece versus Canada.

I don't think that the Olympics realise that fans want to watch specific individuals/teams in specific events.
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    I think LOCOG do realise exactly that - but they also know that if you applied for Hungary v Croatia and did not get tickets because it was sold out you would be unlikely to apply for the Greece v Canada game and hence there would be empty seats at the "shite" games (and unsold tickets). By selling this way they manage to get people to say "Well I mssed out on the athletics finals but I've got tickets for lightweight cake decorating so can't wait to get down there and be part of this Olympic fantasticness, oh and while I'm there I'm gonna buy a t-shirt and 6 burgers".
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    pdstsp wrote:
    oh and while I'm there I'm gonna buy a t-shirt and 6 burgers".

Make sure that they are OFFICIAL Olympic Sponsor McDonalds Burgers....... otherwise LOCOG wont be happy! :shock:
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    I don't know if anyone else had similar experiences, but my lad tried to buy some tickets and got thoroughly hacked off with the process and the way the site works.

From what I can gather, instead of having a list of available tickets, he had to check each individual event, and inside that, each individual ticket price, to be told "no tickets left". This made it very difficult to find anything.

The older I get, the better I was.

• verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Chris Moyles running a leg with the flame, says it all really about its credibility.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    I have just overheard a news presenter on our local BBC news say in anticipation of the 'torch' arriving in Stoke.
    "I can almost smell the gas and shortly the torch will be arriving".

FFS :roll:

I will not be missing the build up to the games, in fact I'm trying my very best to avoid it.

I hope we finally are able to separate the bull and watch some sport when it arrives. I also hope I will still be able to enjoy some of it.

I am also dreading all the back slapping that will go on afterwards amongst the profile hunters working away behind the scenes. Seb and his smuggies, yuk! me skins crawling already.

I expect there to be some mileage to made on the Channel 4 docs in the future exposing all the varied rip offs that were occurring before, during and after the games.

Funded by the majority and benefited by the few Games, remember where you heard it first.

Never mind the next one will be somewhere else, if they can afford it. :D
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    pdstsp wrote:
    I think LOCOG do realise exactly that - but they also know that if you applied for Hungary v Croatia and did not get tickets because it was sold out you would be unlikely to apply for the Greece v Canada game and hence there would be empty seats at the "shite" games (and unsold tickets). By selling this way they manage to get people to say "Well I mssed out on the athletics finals but I've got tickets for lightweight cake decorating so can't wait to get down there and be part of this Olympic fantasticness, oh and while I'm there I'm gonna buy a t-shirt and 6 burgers".

Fair point. Let me rephrase that - the organisers don't care etc, etc.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    £7.23 a pint for beer at Olympic venues. I'll say that again, £7.23 a pint for beer at Olympic venues.

Daily Torygraph Story Here

I'll be watching from the comfort of my home, for free, with cheap beer, BT vision so I can pause the action and fast-forward through the crappy bits, have a wee whenever I like in normal loos and generally be treated like a person rather than just a consumer. I'll also get to watch the terrorist attacks on the news rather than from the stadium.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    can't say I ever got hacked on by it in the first place. its happening, I'm not participating, I didn't apply for a random ticket draw to end up with something I may well have no interest in (ain't got the spare cash to blow on the off chance of getting lucky & travel & ringfenced food & so on - well done if you have, I hope they live up to expectation)

I don't care what the organisers and fans on here say, it is 99.99% a south/London beanfeast. I don't feel engaged by it, or that anywhere north of the M4 is wanted by the organisers or part of the experience at all. We pretty much get a bit of football, whoop! (apart from Coventry) that's the one thing we're all not short of and can see anytime. They may as well be in Beijing again for all the oomph its brought to my neck of the woods.

Cycling is a case in point: I don't understand why the country needs the expense of a new Velodrome for the supposedly national Olympic games built in London hen there's already a perfectly serviceable world class one in Manchester, that will probably seriously lose out and die on its a**e from now on when the world events are touted for UK, Why is the road race where it is when there's plenty of testing and interesting terrain outside of Surrey? - it could have been anywhere in any of the parts of the UK to bring at least a little bit of the Olympics to other peoples doorsteps and what do the Surreyites do, moan about (some brand spanking new, super smooth surface) road closures.

There's been a positive determination by the organisers to cram almost the whole thing into a tiny area of the country that is closer to France than to most of England and I'd far rather Seb & Co(e) would drop the British Olympics guff, be up front and honest and tell it like it is: the UK bid would only ever be won by LONDON, so LONDON gets to keep it (but as a special treat we'll let you all help pay for it) and the rest of you proles can pay like any other world tourist to come to our party or sod off.

They've also done their best to make it hard to get to for everyone else sticking it in central London, compare it to the recent Olympic's park sites which were at least on the outskirts of the host city. Again it shows what attitude the organisers have to the rest of this country who won't be flying in and less likely to make use of the local accommodation.

Its national in the same way the southern counties drought and hosepipe ban is national, its national like the Outer Hebrides only officially get a white Christmas if it snows in London. I'll take an interest whilst I'm on my holidays but please stop trying to kid me that the likes of me and my town are any part of some unifying national sporting experience, we're not.

Only just read this thread. But that is one hell of a post. Chapeau.

+ 1
    M.Rushton
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    I'll take an interest whilst I'm on my holidays but please stop trying to kid me that the likes of me and my town are any part of some unifying national sporting experience, we're not.

So you're not excited by the [Nazi-inspired] torch relay then? I have found it very inspiring that the proles in the provinces (and Will-I-Am) get to be part of the overall Olympic experience.

yes, I am being sarcastic
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    I have to admit that despite being a Games enthusiast and really looking forward to watching some events (tickets arrived yesterday) even I am getting fed up with the torch relay. Why does it justify such heavy attention? I can understand coverage in the local news for wherever it is but not the national news every day - it doesn't look any different each day. I'm also a bit fed up with being told every day how many days there are until the start - I know the start date, I know today's date so I can work it out for myself. On the plus side I also got a zone 1-9 travelcard with my Olympic tickets yesterday which probably would have cost more than I paid for the tickets (they came to a total of £60 for 4 tickets!).
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    GiantMike wrote:
    I'll take an interest whilst I'm on my holidays but please stop trying to kid me that the likes of me and my town are any part of some unifying national sporting experience, we're not.

So you're not excited by the [Nazi-inspired] torch relay then? I have found it very inspiring that the proles in the provinces (and Will-I-Am) get to be part of the overall Olympic experience.

yes, I am being sarcastic

Yes, sarcastic! never, but why shouldn't the proles in the provinces make the most of it after all there helping pay for the games :?:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... n-olympics. :?