bearfraser
bearfraser Posts: 435
edited May 2012 in The bottom bracket
???????????????????????

Comments

• ...especially the torch thing.
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    There have been many incredible things associated with the Olympics so far but few, if any of them, to do with the sport; The power of the IOC to enforce it's own laws upon the host nation, national laws acceding to commercial rights holders, the enshrined commercial abuse of a sporting event, the militarisation of the East End of London, LOCOG repeatedly failing in it's role (this morning's story of not involving enough young people in the torch bearing - the games is meant to be their legacy) and the whole 'designed by committee' feel that highlights their every incompetence. The greatest legacy will be their collective sense of smugness that we shall have to live with for years to come.

Having said all that, I'll look forward to the sports but my taste for the games has been tainted by the prevailing abuse and exploitation of the sport by governements and commercial interests.
  • martinwitnam
    martinwitnam Posts: 439
    Every fecking news bulletin now makes mention of the games.
    I think the only bit that I will pay any attention to is the cycling. Nuff said!
    Oh and all of Jessica Ennis' disciplines!

Can we fix it?
    Yes we can!
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    No.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    edited May 2012
    can't say I ever got hacked on by it in the first place. its happening, I'm not participating, I didn't apply for a random ticket draw to end up with something I may well have no interest in (ain't got the spare cash to blow on the off chance of getting lucky & travel & ringfenced food & so on - well done if you have, I hope they live up to expectation)

I don't care what the organisers and fans on here say, it is 99.99% a south/London beanfeast. I don't feel engaged by it, or that anywhere north of the M4 is wanted by the organisers or part of the experience at all. We pretty much get a bit of football, whoop! (apart from Coventry) that's the one thing we're all not short of and can see anytime. They may as well be in Beijing again for all the oomph its brought to my neck of the woods.

Cycling is a case in point: I don't understand why the country needs the expense of a new Velodrome for the supposedly national Olympic games built in London hen there's already a perfectly serviceable world class one in Manchester, that will probably seriously lose out and die on its a**e from now on when the world events are touted for UK, Why is the road race where it is when there's plenty of testing and interesting terrain outside of Surrey? - it could have been anywhere in any of the parts of the UK to bring at least a little bit of the Olympics to other peoples doorsteps and what do the Surreyites do, moan about (some brand spanking new, super smooth surface) road closures.

There's been a positive determination by the organisers to cram almost the whole thing into a tiny area of the country that is closer to France than to most of England and I'd far rather Seb & Co(e) would drop the British Olympics guff, be up front and honest and tell it like it is: the UK bid would only ever be won by LONDON, so LONDON gets to keep it (but as a special treat we'll let you all help pay for it) and the rest of you proles can pay like any other world tourist to come to our party or sod off.

They've also done their best to make it hard to get to for everyone else sticking it in central London, compare it to the recent Olympic's park sites which were at least on the outskirts of the host city. Again it shows what attitude the organisers have to the rest of this country who won't be flying in and less likely to make use of the local accommodation.

Its national in the same way the southern counties drought and hosepipe ban is national, its national like the Outer Hebrides only officially get a white Christmas if it snows in London. I'll take an interest whilst I'm on my holidays but please stop trying to kid me that the likes of me and my town are any part of some unifying national sporting experience, we're not.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Surprised how little love there is for the olympics given that we all share a 'sport' hobby.
  • pauldavid
    pauldavid Posts: 392
    Yes, wake me up when it's all over
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    Surprised how little love there is for the olympics given that we all share a 'sport' hobby.

cycling? the olympic events are pretty 'meh'.
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    In reply to the OP.

YES.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    I have over the years been involved in a number of large national and internations sports events, sometimes working within the organisation and sometimes with sponsors.The amount of crap that sponsors talk is incredible and sadly the organisations need to keep regurgitating this BS to keep the sponsors happy and keep the cash coming in. The sponsors are the generators of the propaganda.
    From breweries trying to promote "responsible drinking" to car manufacturers insisting that we move a local taxi company ad from the "official route" to a stadium it can all get very stupid, sad thing is they all live in this wee bubble and no one will tell them to Fcough and let people just enjoy the event, which is the sad bit.
    FWIW - I live quite a distance from the Olympics and expect to get no "rub off" from the sports facilities being constructed they event infact may pose a threat to my employers, we run a large annual event at the same time and need to sell tickets! But I hope my two children watch it, see some good sport and maybe feel that they will get involved. That my eldest has chosen Mark Cavendish as the "Olympian" to follow as part of her School project is a good thing.
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    I've been hacked-off with the olympics since 2004.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    can't say I ever got hacked on by it in the first place. its happening, I'm not participating, I didn't apply for a random ticket draw to end up with something I may well have no interest in (ain't got the spare cash to blow on the off chance of getting lucky & travel & ringfenced food & so on - well done if you have, I hope they live up to expectation)
    Its national in the same way the southern counties drought and hosepipe ban is national, its national like the Outer Hebrides only officially get a white Christmas if it snows in London. I'll take an interest whilst I'm on my holidays but please stop trying to kid me that the likes of me and my town are any part of some unifying national sporting experience, we're not.
    That'll be a yes then? :wink:
    I've been underwhelmed ever since it was "won".
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809

You're forgetting that it's in London and therefore automatically seen as something to be derided by a lot of posters here. :wink:

FWIW if I'm in the country at the time, I'll maybe cycle down to Surry for the day. As for anyone saying it might as well be in Beijing because London's so far away? Seriously, ever heard of a train or a car! Not only is it the highest centre of population in the UK, the transport links are really rather good! Getting to Beijing otoh involves a rather long and expensive flight!

But yea, the torch relay is a bit ridiculous, as is some of the cultural Olympiad!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023

I don't care what the organisers and fans on here say, it is 99.99% a south/London beanfeast. I don't feel engaged by it, or that anywhere north of the M4 is wanted by the organisers or part of the experience at all. We pretty much get a bit of football, whoop! (apart from Coventry) that's the one thing we're all not short of and can see anytime. They may as well be in Beijing again for all the oomph its brought to my neck of the woods.

Cycling is a case in point: I don't understand why the country needs the expense of a new Velodrome for the supposedly national Olympic games built in London hen there's already a perfectly serviceable world class one in Manchester, that will probably seriously lose out and die on its a**e from now on when the world events are touted for UK, Why is the road race where it is when there's plenty of testing and interesting terrain outside of Surrey? - it could have been anywhere in any of the parts of the UK to bring at least a little bit of the Olympics to other peoples doorsteps and what do the Surreyites do, moan about (some brand spanking new, super smooth surface) road closures.

There's been a positive determination by the organisers to cram almost the whole thing into a tiny area of the country that is closer to France than to most of England and I'd far rather Seb & Co(e) would drop the British Olympics guff, be up front and honest and tell it like it is: the UK bid would only ever be won by LONDON, so LONDON gets to keep it (but as a special treat we'll let you all help pay for it) and the rest of you proles can pay like any other world tourist to come to our party or sod off.

They've also done their best to make it hard to get to for everyone else sticking it in central London, compare it to the recent Olympic's park sites which were at least on the outskirts of the host city. Again it shows what attitude the organisers have to the rest of this country who won't be flying in and less likely to make use of the local accommodation.

Sums it up pretty neatly, I reckon - except I won't be taking any interest in it at all
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    "Great post."

Rest assured that, as someone who lives in London, I feel the same way. It's going to be a fuck1ng nightmare, here, for two weeks.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • trekker12
    trekker12 Posts: 99
    Actually no.

I can't wait. I lost out in the ballots and realised how few cycling tickets were available compared to others and how popular they have been. I was so excited to get some rowing tickets in last weeks ticket release. I know a little about rowing and watch whenever it appears on the BBC but I just want to be part of the atmosphere of something that I'll always remember. It'll be great.

I enjoy sport of all kinds (I even occasionally watch football) and this is a celebration of that. Yes I know the sponsors have turned it into a corporate marketing exercise and the IOC and LOCOG don't do enough to prevent that and we are going to be persuaded to pay exorbitant amounts for a beef burger but I'll take a sandwich and ignore the rubbish that goes with it. It's going to happen once in my lifetime and I'm going!

By the way for those who keep whining on about it being London-centric. I agree, it is. However, I seem to remember it being Beijing 2008, Athens, 2004, Sydney 2000, Atlanta 1996, Barcelona 1992 (shall I continue). The Olympics have always been centred around a city and London is our biggest. What's wrong with that? Get on a train and enjoy our greatest city at its best.
    2007 Trek 1.2
    2014 Genesis Equilibrium 20
  • Blacktemplar
    Blacktemplar Posts: 713

^^^^This.

That is all.
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Im loving the fact that two athlete's are now on the TV promoting a "healthy " Subway sandwhich..

Subway are notorious for the vasts amount of salt they use in making their bread......
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    No.

And I'm really pleased to see the huge crowds that were out over the weekend to see the flame. Shots down the claims of those who say it's a London thing only. Tell that to the people of Devon and Cornwall who turned out.

Can't wait.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    No.

And I'm really pleased to see the huge crowds that were out over the weekend to see the flame. Shots down the claims of those who say it's a London thing only. Tell that to the people of Devon and Cornwall who turned out.

Can't wait.

Perhaps they are the ones now bidding for the flames :wink:
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505
    No! No! and thrice No!

My two pennerth:

Whether or not you consider it London centric (which it had to be in order for the UK to win the games), whatever you think of the sponsorship (at worst a necessary evil, at best financial backers that enable the games to go ahead) - I am excited to see the very best athletes and sportsmen in the world, in some cases the best the world has ever produced, battling it out for the ultimate prize in their chosen field. They do not choose how the politics of the Games work, who sponsors it or how it is funded, organised, run or built.

They are there for the competition and to try to cement their place in history after years - decades of endeavour. If that doesn't float your boat then I find your chosen pastime of cycling a puzzling one - I do however respect your opinion.

If you don't like it then fine, turn your TV off (or even just change channels), go out for a ride, visit the Mother in Law or whatever. Guess what? The Games gets this coverage because its a big deal to more people than it isn't.

If you're looking for a cause to get animated about, there are far more worthy ones than a few Southerners being inconvenienced on their trip to B&Q for a fortnight - just leave the rest of us to enjoy the games and all that goes with it. Personally, I'm going to struggle to see enough. Bring it on.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 266
    edited May 2012
    no! just love all sport- even football!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    It's better than the Jubilee nonsense, at least.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Wouldn't bother me if I slept in for the majority of events.

Although sky+'ing anything that involves Miss Pendelton,Miss Ennis,M/F Triathlons,track and road cycling :)

And swimming!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    afx237vi wrote:
    The Jubilee is giving me a forced holiday to do with as I wish - Bike ride weather permitting.
    And since it is a Tuesday I have 2 days to do as I wish. And the wife is working.
    That trumps the Games any day. :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    afx237vi wrote:

Err bank holiday?
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Yet? Have been for ages.

Now the torch(es) are here, the level of monkey-spanking excitement is getting way out of control. Thought the BBC news fella was about to have a seizure. If it's your thing, fine, but some of us ain't bothered. I am really beginning to get annoyed with the attitude of "if you're not monkey-spankingly excited about this, you are worse than Hitler". Like it's supposed to be my patriotic duty to salute the flag, wear my Union Jack jumper and go all misty-eyed about the whole load of nonsense.

Grrr. Rant over, but I was asked, right?

And don't start me on the f****** football.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    I usually get really drawn into sports like Rowing and Hockey at the olympics and don't expect it to be any different this time around however this torch relay thing is quite possibly the biggest overblown pile of toss ever connected with a sports event. I've been trying to duck coverage of it in any form after hearing of a golden airplane and Mr. Charisma himself Beckham squeaking on about his mate Seb and his goose-bumps at holding the olympic flame. Oh do f^*£ off David! Please.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Events that matter to me this year -

=1st The Euro Championships and the Tour de France
    101st The European Subbuteo Championships
    10001st The Olympics
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,098
    Look guys be honest - The beach volleyball and the cycling is something to look forward to, no?
    You can stuff the rest and the over commercialisation of it all. I liked Seb Coe when he was a runner but now he wreaks of backhanders, old school tie links and stuffy officiousness. Never mind the income that he is generating for himself and 'friends'.

PS: I like the fact that roadworkers contrived to scupper the German teams preperatory ride at box hill in advance of the road race. Mind you they would have probably done it by default anyway.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!