Olympic Torch for sale on eBay

2»

Comments

• Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    They interviewed some bloke on Radio 4 who was selling his: he had been picked due to his sporting acheivements (not defined in the interview) over the years and they said "why are you selling it?":

He basically said well, I want to go to the World Student games but there is feck all support for athletes in GB so I have to pay for all my own training and equipment and everything so this will do that klus cover the costs of the Games. It'll also pay off my student loans and put a deposit down on a pad/give me a load of financial security.

Yup - I'm with him on this one: I'll be keeping mine but if I lose my job/get blown up/need the cash to keep my family fed/housed/etc then it'll be straight up for sale.

A replica torch ain't no use when you are living in a cardboard box.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    59,100 now.

Mad.

£150k! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Sold at £51,100.00! For the photo, just a photo :!:
    That is a perfect storm of gumption and muppetry :shock:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • mr_sj
    mr_sj Posts: 507
    yep, in total agreement with that. a lovely thing to hold onto if you can but when it comes down to it, the sums of money are huge and i would cash in, pay off the mortgage, takes the kids on holiday, buy the wife a car and get myself a new bike !

but in saying that it will be interesting to see how many of the winning bidders actually pay up, i doubt very much that any of these sums of money will ever actually be recieved by anyone.
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Given the fact that so many businesses are desperate to cash in on the Olympics why is anybody surprised that individuals are prepared to do the same?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The ebay high bidding is just nonsense. Sorry for pointing out the bleeding obvious... the photo one is just a send up of the others and everyone is joining in and having a laugh. All the high bidders are undoubtedly 'new' ebay users setup specifically for the joke and fuelled by alcohol.

I like the questions..."Is this the torch?" Answer: "No, it's a photo"...next question "how big is it?" Answer: "it's a photo so it can be any size", etc.

I had an ebay buyer once who couldn't pay (I got the impression that he was a youngster) and after a few weeks, we went into dispute which was settled by me having to relist with no charges. There was no attempt whatsoever to get the highest bidder to actually pay up.
  • mr_sj
    there never is, hence the fact ebay allows people 3 chances of being a non paying bidder before they will step in and suspend an account.
  • mr_sj
    it will be interesting to see how some of these people are 'welcomed' when running with the torch for their leg now.

we all know who they are and when and where they are running and a lot of them have already started getting abuse through ebay and in comments on news sites, could make what would have been a memorable event into a bit of a nightmare for some people