Commuting backpacks

2»

Comments

• Asprilla wrote:
    Thanks for the quick update UE, guess i'll be looking at the ALPKIT then

Alpkit looks a strong contender, but the lack of fixings for a blinky light and the non-ventilated back are putting me off. Plus they're still two months away in the 20 L size. I hate to wait.

Quite liking the look of the SealLine Urban:

http://cascadedesigns.com/sealline/urba ... ck/product

Perhaps I'll give it a go.

I have a Fiber Flare attached to the compression webbing on my Alpkit.

Hmmm, now that's a good option. How do you find the sweaty back?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Commuting for between 40 and 80 minutes I get sweaty all over so I've not really noticed my back being any more sweaty with this.

I also use an Ortleib Velocity occasionally and a Crumpler Hairy Lee messenger bag. My back gets sweaty with all of them.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    If you have a lot of stuff to carry (i.e. work laptop, client's laptop, shoes & clothes), the ortlieb velocity does the job well and is 100% waterproof.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ortlieb-velocity-rucksack/
  • monkeydan
    monkeydan Posts: 95
    +1 on the Deuter Race EXP Air... it is pretty small but I can fit pants, socks, lunch, laptop, spare tube, some toiletries, etc. with no issues. It is expandable as well which means I can get a pair of shoes / jeans in there as well.

Got it for Christmas and it is a really well-made piece of kit.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I love my Timbuk2 messenger bag, if I was after a new backpack I'd seriously consider theirs.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Does anyone have or know of one that sits off the back, allowing airflow? Less sweaty into the backpack but also it acts as a massive insulator etc.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • I know that Lowe Alpine make trekking ones that have that, they call it the AirZone back. I'm not sure how suited they'd be to cycling, or whether it makes any difference. Deuter ones have some strips that keep the bag off the centre of your back and allow air-flow between them which works pretty well.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Does anyone have or know of one that sits off the back, allowing airflow? Less sweaty into the backpack but also it acts as a massive insulator etc.

I have one that sits off the back - its called a Pannier! No more sweating for me.
  • MonkeyMonster
    apreading wrote:

I have one that sits off the back - its called a Pannier! No more sweating for me.

Then you aren't trying hard enough not to race... hush now :D
  • MonkeyMonster
    I know that Lowe Alpine make trekking ones that have that, they call it the AirZone back. I'm not sure how suited they'd be to cycling, or whether it makes any difference. Deuter ones have some strips that keep the bag off the centre of your back and allow air-flow between them which works pretty well.

Just found the dueter ones and they look okay. tbh my camel back *should* do that too - ie has a space in between. Think I need to do more larger shirt dumps so I can don't need a bag - but then you have lunch as well...
  • bontie
    bontie Posts: 177
    jds_1981 wrote:
    bontie wrote:
    The notebook that I carry is a fairly small 15” Dell, so I could do with a small backpack.

I think in order of preference: -
    - Get your company to supply you with a second laptop for home. Unless you're travelling between client sites & need your own laptop they should be able to do this.
    - Get your company to supply you with a smaller laptop due to your routine. A 13" or 12" laptop would be a lot more transportable.
    - pannier.
    - rucksack as advised by someone else on here.

I have been away form the thread for a few days, thank for all the comments. The Osprey in pic looks pretty cool, I must say.Would also have a peep at the deuter ones mentioend and make up my mind soon enough.
    Since I have a porous skin, I tend to leak all over and I would probably ruin most backpacks in a relatively short space of time (My Targus one has a nice white salty crust along the top at the moment ), for this reason I would probably not venture into timbuk2 territory. It would just be a shame to ruin a really nice and expensive piece of kit.

As for the comment above, I work at one desk, (no clients) but we are in a recesssion, so i don't think a 2nd notebook is really an option,besides, the extra 2-3kg makes for good training, doesn’t it?
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Personally I avoid the airflow ones on road bike as the couple I have had have put too much pressure on my lower back as there is one narrow contact patch as opposed to one massive one. I've tried a few different ones but I've found my timbuk2 courier bag the most comfortable, hoiked up high around my shoulders. I don't carry a laptop though.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Mr Sworld wrote:

+ lots, best bit of kit I ever bought

Me too, and at £20, good value

Except I use the 20 litre version with side pockets.
  • well i am gonna order the 25l alpkit today, either the gourdon 25 or the stealthy, if i go for the gourdon, how bright is the red and blue as im torn between them two colours?
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    well i am gonna order the 25l alpkit today, either the gourdon 25 or the stealthy, if i go for the gourdon, how bright is the red and blue as im torn between them two colours?

Bright.

About as bright as in their photos

I find that an advantage

Mind you I have the 20litre in "chili" and the stealthy 30litre one - I didn't trust the plastic window.
    I use the 20 litre often, and the 30 litre mainly as a drybag that can be used as a rucsac - it has a bit too few pockets in my opinion.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    jimmypippa wrote:
    well i am gonna order the 25l alpkit today, either the gourdon 25 or the stealthy, if i go for the gourdon, how bright is the red and blue as im torn between them two colours?

Bright.

About as bright as in their photos

I find that an advantage

Mind you I have the 20litre in "chili" and the stealthy 30litre one - I didn't trust the plastic window.
    I use the 20 litre often, and the 30 litre mainly as a drybag that can be used as a rucsac - it has a bit too few pockets in my opinion.
    Here's my 20l one, toolkit/pump in LH pocket, small cable lock and bag for my security pass (to get in/out the gate) in RH pocket. This is the Chilli one, I have a Jaffa as well thats brighter, but this is a good match to my bike and the red windstopper top in the avatar.

[edit] I should add this one is 6months old, has commuted every day in all weathers except the 6 weeks it toured Australia being dragged through the rain forest, on beaches and generally chucked around... and is still immaculate...

7268137356_a88acdcdda_b.jpg
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • I'm trying again. Given the out-of-stock nature of the Gourdon 20l, I'm going for the (rather similar) Exped Cloudburst 15. No side pockets, though, sadly, but light and simple. I also like that the window faces your back, rather than letting everyone know where you keep your valuables. Though in lycra shorts, that can be quite obvious anyway.

http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_ho ... endocument

I'll let you know how I get on.
  • optimisticbiker
    I'm trying again. Given the out-of-stock nature of the Gourdon 20l, I'm going for the (rather similar) Exped Cloudburst 15. No side pockets, though, sadly, but light and simple. I also like that the window faces your back, rather than letting everyone know where you keep your valuables. Though in lycra shorts, that can be quite obvious anyway.

Understand your thinking/frustration. Cloudburst 15 is similar but smaller, you sure the 15l is going to be big enough? Lack of sidepockets is a pain for your tools/tubes unless you have them in saddlebag or your back pockets as means opening the bag to get them when its raining... sort of defeats the object of the exercise!
  • I'm trying again. Given the out-of-stock nature of the Gourdon 20l, I'm going for the (rather similar) Exped Cloudburst 15. No side pockets, though, sadly, but light and simple. I also like that the window faces your back, rather than letting everyone know where you keep your valuables. Though in lycra shorts, that can be quite obvious anyway.

Understand your thinking/frustration. Cloudburst 15 is similar but smaller, you sure the 15l is going to be big enough? Lack of sidepockets is a pain for your tools/tubes unless you have them in saddlebag or your back pockets as means opening the bag to get them when its raining... sort of defeats the object of the exercise!

I'm currently using the 10l Deuter Race, 15l will be plenty. I tend to keep tools/tubes in my saddle-pack so that's less of a concern, side-pockets are good for overshoes, hats, buffs etc., but I'll manage with a smaller dry-bag inside - if anything it'll stop them setting soaked if I want to wear them.
  • Thanks for the piccie OB, i ordered the gourdon 25 that day in chilli, as i wasn't sure on size and didnt want to wait for the 20 to be back in stock, hopefully it will arrive today.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    StuAff wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    I use a Dueter Bike 1.
    Small enough when you want, expandable when you want.
    Air flow gaps down your back, light, has a built-it gillet and a rain cover.
    Plus it has a helmet holder on the outside. I don't use it but I can see how that would be handy.

Mine is 4 years old and look like it will last 40.

And another +1 for the Bike 1. Brilliant bit of kit.

Ok. Had a look at the Dueter bags in Evans.

Question is, can I get a shirt in and out of the Dueter race bag without creasing it to sh!t?
  • StuAff wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    I use a Dueter Bike 1.
    Plus it has a helmet holder on the outside. I don't use it but I can see how that would be handy.

Question is, can I get a shirt in and out of the Dueter race bag without creasing it to sh!t?

Don't fold, roll.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    StuAff wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    I use a Dueter Bike 1.

Don't fold, roll.

Right. A) which technique do you use and b) do you think it'd work for the Dueter race?
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    I fold. Comes out ok (one down the middle of the shirt, then one at the sleeve seam, then in half length ways), just under A4 size. Then if it has creased on a hanger by the shower for 2 mins. Normally doesnt need it.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • optimisticbiker
    I fold. Comes out ok (one down the middle of the shirt, then one at the sleeve seam, then in half length ways), just under A4 size. Then if it has creased on a hanger by the shower for 2 mins. Normally doesnt need it.
    I lay shirt out and do every other button up, then turn over and lay flat on bed. fold 1/3 sides in and arms back over. Then fold bottom 1/3 up and over again to meet collar. then lay pants and socks in middle and roll folded shirt from sides over them, and drop into a large sandwich bag (ziploc gallon size) to retain the roll. Once at work, hang on hanger while showering, no creases (except the M&S crease free shirt which always creases whatever you do, even after you iron it you only have to look at it and it creases)
  • Yey, my new bag arrived yesterday and it is a lot lighter in colour and weight than my old bag, my only wish is that they had a small inside pocket for my keys, wallet, building passes etc...

• jejv
    jejv Posts: 566

A sprung mesh back ?
    Like this ? http://www.deutergb.co.uk/deuter-techni ... ircomfort/ ?

Berghaus & others do sprung backs. I'd go for steel sprung for reliability, rather than alu or plastics.

I'm looking for such things as well, for the kids. About time they had proper backpacks. So advice wellcome.

I think zips for the main compartment are a no-no. So - say - the Deuter bike ones are out. Also out because they don't have the sprung mesh backs.

Zips for the main compartment, rather than a drawstring top with two straps for the flap, mean the thing is guaranteed to fail when it's overloaded. Looks slick, which might be what club lycra types want, but if the zip fails in the middle of nowhere, you're stuffed. If the toggle fails on a drawstring top, or the cord snaps, you stiill have the flap straps, and can tie up the top with the remains of the cord or a bit of string if you have to.

This sort of design also can be overloaded quite a lot - if you go to the shops on the way home, and get a bit more shopping than really fits, you can still carry it. Having something that somewhat keeps it's shape even when empty makes it easier to load/unload, & more stable when it's not full,

A couple of zip pockets would be good. Not flush with the main body. Otherwise loading up the main body will stress the pocket zips, and squash the pocket contents, making it hard to access the pockets.

I've had a Deuter Aircomfort thing for about 10 years of more-or-less daily use. Don't know what the model was. Only ID I can find is "Aircomfort 24S". I wear out mediocre stuff rapidly. Maybe good for another 5-10 years.

When the OH gave me it - 'cos I kept killing cheapish backpacks - it was a revelation in comfort.

Closest current thing I can find is http://www.deuter.com/en_DE/backpack-de ... pitze%2025

But I'm not sure about the durability of the fabric - my backpack has a much heavier, coarser weave, fabric.
  • Yay, my CloudBurst bag arrived today. I really like this one, feels comfortable on the back, looks good and not too large.