Commuting backpacks

bontie
bontie Posts: 177
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
I commute daily and am required to take my notebook home every day. At present i use the bulky Targus backpack supplied by my employer, but I am considering something smaller and more reasonable. The notebook that I carry is a fairly small 15” Dell, so I could do with a small backpack. I don’t need much more space as I generally carry a tube, tyre levers and multitool along with wallet and folded shirt and socks.
So, what do the experts recommend?

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Love my Deuter Race. Think it should fit a 15" Dell
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope wrote:
    Love my Deuter Race. Think it should fit a 15" Dell

I love mine too, but it doesn't fit my 15" Dell, well not with closing. As a consequence I leave my laptop at home all the time. If I were you, and I may well be doing this very thing, I'd look at the Deuter Race EXP Air, it's both slightly bigger than the Race, and expandable. I'm also considering an Osprey Syncro, they look vey noice too.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Deuter Bike 1
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Alpkit Gourdon 20 fits a 13" MacBook Pro or Air or a 13" Elitebook. Not tried anything larger in it.

Being waterproof (which none of the other bags listed are) is a massive advantage when transporting electrical items though....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • tomwardill
    tomwardill Posts: 21
    I've been using one of these for the last year:

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/q-backpack

Really nice, fits my largish work 15" HP laptop (though it's tight to get it through the zip, but okay once it's in, so I'd check the dimensions).
    Utterly bombproof, and made out of the same material as the messenger bags, so I have good hope for it's longevity.
    Separate laptop compartment, then a full depth compartment for clothes, etc, with extra pockets for keys, pens, whathavyou.
    Looks smart too.

Downside: Not cheap, and you'll probably have to import it.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    My Timbuk2 bag is due to arrive tomorrow from San Francisco....I am all atremble with anticipation!

I had an issue with the delivery address and asked them to change it from home to office as there would be nobody at home to sign for it......this is the email response I got;

“Hello Simon,

Thanks for the email.

I just spoke to the UPS Customer Service department and after 25 minutes on the phone with their representative, I was able to update both of those mailing addresses. Timbuk2 even covered the cost for ya. :)

Both orders should arrive soon. The UPS tracking numbers will remain the same.

Thanks,

Brandon
    timbuk2”

The septics may suck at many, many things - but customer service? They rock.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • mousetoo
    mousetoo Posts: 53
    I'd look at the Deuter Race EXP Air

I have one amd carry pretty much exactly what the OP wants to carry. Not much spare room but definitely fits the brief
  • i too have been searching for a more waterproof rucksack, its between the gourdon and the overboard range at the moment, dont know if i need the 20, 25 or 30L one, as everyday, i take clothes, lunch, tools in a saddle bag, waterproof trousers, overshoes, waterproof jacket (aldi special), wallet keys, shades case, 3 innertubes and i think thats it!!
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • asprilla
    Well, in a 20l Gourdon and I comfortably carry:

Lezyne caddy with 1 tube, multitool, levers and co2 in one of the mesh side pockets
    Underwear
    Tshirt
    Waterproof jacket
    Trainers
    Assorted other items (watch, glasses, wallet, phone, etc)

On days when I change my towel at work or my jeans I can fit that as well, but never both on the same day.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • sounds good, and i forgot my mini track pump to the list!, the thing with the gourdon is that its all in one with no compartments, plus that see through bit puts me off.

• asprilla
    20l doesn't have the see though panel.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • i too have been searching for a more waterproof rucksack, its between the gourdon and the overboard range at the moment, dont know if i need the 20, 25 or 30L one, as everyday, i take clothes, lunch, tools in a saddle bag, waterproof trousers, overshoes, waterproof jacket (aldi special), wallet keys, shades case, 3 innertubes and i think thats it!!

Ooh, I like the Overboard Pro-sports... Alpkit 20L is out of stock until July.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I've been using one of these for the last couple of months, and I rather like it

normal_flare-24-ember.jpg

It's 24l but very light, and the compression straps allow you can squash it down when not carrying much,
    I really like the front pocket which allows me to keep my D-lock separate from the main compartment, and ready to hand when needed :D

It's comfortable to wear and has proven waterproof so far, even during this monsoon season.
    Misguided Idealist

And there goes my guilt-free PayPal cash... I got the yellow one if anyone's interested.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    bontie wrote:
    The notebook that I carry is a fairly small 15” Dell, so I could do with a small backpack.

I think in order of preference: -
    - Get your company to supply you with a second laptop for home. Unless you're travelling between client sites & need your own laptop they should be able to do this.
    - Get your company to supply you with a smaller laptop due to your routine. A 13" or 12" laptop would be a lot more transportable.
    - pannier.
    - rucksack as advised by someone else on here.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,079
    Camelbak Hawg is a good quality buy, plenty of compartments, waterproof cover and took my laptop no problem (can't remember what size screen it was though). Also has a water bladder which is very useful.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

And there goes my guilt-free PayPal cash... I got the yellow one if anyone's interested.

let me know what its like, i am too a click away from ordering :wink:

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i loves my berghaus freeflow pack

it has a mesh back bit so your bag doesn't get sweaty

its lasted for years an still going strong, plus has partition for bladder so you can use it as a camelbak
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I use a Dueter Bike 1.
    Small enough when you want, expandable when you want.
    Air flow gaps down your back, light, has a built-it gillet and a rain cover.
    Plus it has a helmet holder on the outside. I don't use it but I can see how that would be handy.

Mine is 4 years old and look like it will last 40.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    daviesee wrote:
    I use a Dueter Bike 1.
    Plus it has a helmet holder on the outside. I don't use it but I can see how that would be handy.

Does that really work? If so, am tempted. How much?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    [
    Does that really work? If so, am tempted. How much?
    :oops: :oops: :oops: Just shows you shouldn't work from memory.

I have the Superbike model. The venting does help but isn't going to keep you 100% dry if you are working hard.
    I suppose many other manufacturers have similar designs.
    All in all though it works at least as good as can be expected, if not better. I am happy and not looking to upgrade (if possible) or replace.
    It is expensive now though. £63 where-as I got it on sale at £45 but that was 4 years ago.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deuter-superbik ... -rucksack/

Edit:- I can fit a 17" Macbook Pro in there so most laptops should be okay.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Mr Sworld wrote:

+ lots, best bit of kit I ever bought
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    daviesee wrote:
    I use a Dueter Bike 1.

And another +1 for the Bike 1. Brilliant bit of kit.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011

let me know what its like, i am too a click away from ordering :wink:

Well it arrived this morning, and is going back. The fastening clip for the sternum strap is broken (really thin, so no wonder), overall finishing isn't really top quality either, some fraying of the black material where it's joined to the yellow. I'm not convinced it would stand-up to the rigours of an everyday commute for one year, let alone several.

Shame.
  • Thanks for the quick update UE, guess i'll be looking at the ALPKIT then

• Thanks for the quick update UE, guess i'll be looking at the ALPKIT then

Alpkit looks a strong contender, but the lack of fixings for a blinky light and the non-ventilated back are putting me off. Plus they're still two months away in the 20 L size. I hate to wait.

Quite liking the look of the SealLine Urban:

http://cascadedesigns.com/sealline/urba ... ck/product

Perhaps I'll give it a go.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    How about a fibreflare for the bag?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • asprilla
    Thanks for the quick update UE, guess i'll be looking at the ALPKIT then

Alpkit looks a strong contender, but the lack of fixings for a blinky light and the non-ventilated back are putting me off. Plus they're still two months away in the 20 L size. I hate to wait.

Quite liking the look of the SealLine Urban:

http://cascadedesigns.com/sealline/urba ... ck/product

Perhaps I'll give it a go.

I have a Fiber Flare attached to the compression webbing on my Alpkit.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    My Fibreflare goes between two of the rubber loops that the bungee cord goes through.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."