Chain device thingy

2»

Comments

• andymc06
    andymc06 Posts: 245
    Hi all

Only just noticed the thread.....

I have the Bionicon V.2 and it eliminates chain slap entirely in my experience.

Hope this helps
    If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    YeehaaMcgee you're wrong, it does reduce/eliminate chain slap. Everyone I know that has a bionicon has said so.
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368
    Yep - it reduces/eliminates chainslap

chainguide.jpg
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Looks like the chain is a bit short there.
    That is basically a "Dave's Chain Device" from th eearly to mid 90s, rebadged.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Subtly different enough that they slapped a patent on the redesign. Fair to say significantly reduces if you watch the vidz. But with no stock anywhere they are ridonculous money for what they are. And how long those plastic tubes last before needing to be replaced is anyone's guess.
  • agg25
    For the lazy, here's the 0p version from rear light parts, is said to work well, not a big waiting list either... -
    696998d1337153656-home-made-pivot-mach-5-7-carbon-chain-guide-photo1593.jpg
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Aye, I guess they actually entrap the chain fully, unlike the old DCD's, preventing the "pivot point" of the chain from travelling up or down.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Looks worse than I imagined!

So spare loop of inner tube should do the same job. Replace when it's worn out or fashion some kind of hard wearing guide inside it.

Either way it will look awful and likely feel awful / fall apart / snag up and wreck stuff.
  • agg25
    Comment from the guy who made it -
    *two old cheapo rear reflector light clamps,a rubber seat post shim I had lying around and a longer bolt to connect the clamps together.
    Cost= $0.00
    Weight= 40grams
    and it works a treat!!!!
    No more chain slap noise,no more falling chain. Plus is has zero effect to the chain and gear shifting. Happy days!
    I know its not the prettiest looking part. But it does the job for now.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I did something similar while waiting for c guides to be in stock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwze3onh ... ture=g-upl

It worked so well i just ended up keeping it on. It does look shit though, granted :lol:
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    An infinitely strong rear mech spring would stop chainslap. Moving one end of the "free" chain right next to the chainstay will not.

yes, and yes
    The slapping you're hearing when the chain comess off your badly fitted stinger

didn't it slap before it came off?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Me? The chain did slap, but not as much. Like I said, I know when the chain has escaped the roller because all of a sudden I can hear loads more chainslap.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Majski wrote:
    If its made by bionicon it'll have all kinds of issues.

Why's that then?
    Not had any issues at all with either of mine, neither have any of the half dozen other people I know who own them.