Chain device thingy

chazkayak
chazkayak Posts: 193
edited May 2012 in MTB general
Yeah yeah , i know this should be in tech section, but

Does anyone know of the chain device thingy that was featured in a couple of mags recently.

It fits onto the chain stay as opposed to the BB, it works like the old DCD, which I happened to throw out cause I thought i would never use it again!!!

Im after one for my Giant Reign 2 as I can fit a Chain device to it due to the garnny rings being over the BB cups.

Comments

• blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    bionicon c.guide v.02
  • chazkayak
    chazkayak Posts: 193
    Thats the one, thanks very much.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If it's on the chain stay it sounds like it could have all kinds of issues with the suspension. On a hard tail it may be okay.
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    If its made by bionicon it'll have all kinds of issues.
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368
    Got a bionicon on my Trance - simple but very effective. Not lost my chain once since fitting it. Was losing it on bouncy downhill all the time before getting one, have since spent a weekend in Wales doing Llandegla, CyB and Machynlleth and had no probs with it at all.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    I've just fitted one - will report back once ridden properly.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I'm tempted by one of these instead of the stinger that's ok, but not perfect.

Would be interested in some more views on how good/bad/indifferent they are, especailly compared to a traditional roller type chain guide.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    bails87 wrote:
    I'm tempted by one of these instead of the stinger that's ok, but not perfect.
    What issues are you having with the stinger?
  • bails87
    Sometimes the chain escapes and ends up on the bottom of the roller. But I can't move the roller any closer to the chainring.

I'm thinking about going 1x10 (got all the bits waiting, just need to wear out my 9 speed stuff first) and I'm not sure what to do about chain retention. Full chainguide, XCX style top guide, top guide and C.Guide...?
    MTB/CX

• YeehaaMcgee
    :?
    bails87 wrote:
    Sometimes the chain escapes and ends up on the bottom of the roller. But I can't move the roller any closer to the chainring.
    Really? I've never had that happen
    Sheepsteeth's bike did it in Llandegla a few times because he didn't have a bashguard, so there wasn't anything to "trap" the chain in place.
  • bails87
    I don't have a bash either. I never bash the chain ring, but it seems one would be useful for stopping 'overshifts'. Mind you, the double specific front mech I got seems to have sorted that issue.
    MTB/CX

• YeehaaMcgee
    bails87 wrote:
    I don't have a bash either. I never bash the chain ring, but it seems one would be useful for stopping 'overshifts'. Mind you, the double specific front mech I got seems to have sorted that issue.
    Well, the stinger is only half of the solution, if you see what I mean. The Bashring being the other. Toghether they form a duo of awesomeosity that is only rivalled by, er. I dunno, Tenacious D?
    The bashring is what stops the chain from jumping off the outside of the ring, there's no way for the stinger to do that.
    But, the stinger drastically minimises, and in fact, virtually eliminates, any chain slapping from reaching the front rings.
  • bails87
    Yep, it does a decent job, I know when the chain's escaped because there's suddenly a load of noise!

I just wondered if the C.Guide did as good a job.
    MTB/CX

• YeehaaMcgee
    bails87 wrote:
    Yep, it does a decent job, I know when the chain's escaped because there's suddenly a load of noise!

Well you're not using it properly then, frankly.

The chainstay one can't do any better, because there's still nothing to prevent the chain stepping off the ring.
    I'm curious though, where have you positioned the stinger?
    It should be fairly "high up" to work it's best.
    5673337945_2783a00a6a.jpg
    ^^Never, ever had a single issue with that setup.
  • bails87
    bails87 wrote:

Well you're not using it properly then, frankly.
    What makes you say that? You may be entirely correct, just wondering.
    The chainstay one can't do any better, because there's still nothing to prevent the chain stepping off the ring.
    I'm curious though, where have you positioned the stinger?
    It should be fairly "high up" to work it's best.
    5673337945_2783a00a6a.jpg
    ^^Never, ever had a single issue with that setup.
    It might not be as high as that tbh, I positioned it where the Blackspire setup guide said to, it gives an "X o clock" position an di put it at the high end of that.

Edit: Nice photo! :shock:
    MTB/CX

• YeehaaMcgee
    Shame you didn't follow the rest of their advice, which says...
    Position the roller so that it just in contact with the bashring
    No bashring, no worky.
    And I'm pretty sure mine is at a roughly 8-o clock position. Certainly not 9 o-clock anyway.
  • bails87
    I'm a man, instructions are just someone else's opinion on how to do something :wink:

It's not a massive problem tbh, but it sounds like a bash would solve it, which makes perfect sense.
    MTB/CX

• YeehaaMcgee
    bails87 wrote:
    I'm a man, instructions are just someone else's opinion on how to do something :wink:

It's not a massive problem tbh, but it sounds like a bash would solve it, which makes perfect sense.
    I'll be honest, until you mentioned it, I didn't even know the stinger HAD a setup guide, I just applied some sound engineering knowhow. And got it right.
    Anyway, the reason yours doesn't work is because it has not been used or set up properly. And no, the chainstay "guide" won't do jack to solve it either.
  • bails87
    Actually, the problem with the Stinger (on the <1% of the time it goes wrong and loses the chain) is that you can't just keep pedalling and let the chain get back on the right side of the roller. The C.Guide thingamabob will cut right down on chainslap (like the stinger) but the chain is 'captive' so there's no chance of it escaping a roller.

So I was hoping it would be as good as the Stinger at controlling the chain, but it wouldn't suffer from the one problem I get from the Stinger, which is my own fault for not using a bash. But I don't want a bash. Hence the question about the C.Guide.
    MTB/CX

• YeehaaMcgee
    bails87 wrote:
    Actually, the problem with the Stinger (on the <1% of the time it goes wrong and loses the chain) is that you can't just keep pedalling and let the chain get back on the right side of the roller. The C.Guide thingamabob will cut right down on chainslap
    It's not there to stop chainslap.
  • bails87
    bails87 wrote:
    Actually, the problem with the Stinger (on the <1% of the time it goes wrong and loses the chain) is that you can't just keep pedalling and let the chain get back on the right side of the roller. The C.Guide thingamabob will cut right down on chainslap
    But it does a good job of it.

As for it's other job of keeping the chain under control....I don't know if it will do that well, that's why I asked.
    MTB/CX

• agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    If you don't want to spend money on a Bionocon type one you can make your own out of scrap rear light bits like this guy ->
    http://forums.mtbr.com/pivot-cycles/hom ... 89072.html
  • YeehaaMcgee
    bails87 wrote:
    But it does a good job of it. [/quote]
    There isn't any way for it to be reducing chainslap, seriously. It's job is to stop the chain from falling off the rings, when combined with a bashguard.
    If anything it moves one end of the chain nearer the chainstay, if you have one, which makes chainslap far more likely.
  • bails87
    bails87 wrote:
    But it does a good job of it.
    There isn't any way for it to be reducing chainslap, seriously. It's job is to stop the chain from falling off the rings, when combined with a bashguard.
    If anything it moves one end of the chain nearer the chainstay, if you have one, which makes chainslap far more likely.
    Are we talking abuot the Stinger or C.Guide?

Either way, the Stinger definitely reduces chainslap. (The C.Guide is reported to as well). As I said, I know when the chain escapes and ends up underneath the roller because I can hear a load more chainslap all of a sudden.

Before I used it I thought exactly what you've written there "It's closer to the chainstay so there'll be more chainslap" but I certainly haven't experienced it. I think it's because the length of 'free' chain is shorter, so it can't move up and down as far. And when it does, it has less momentum behind it.

Looking at where the C.Guide sits, it looks like it would be even better than the Stinger in that respect. I don't know if you've got Seasons, but on the DVD/Bluray special features there's a Specialized ad/video. On that there's a long side on shot of a Stumpjumper (I think) being ridden down a trail. The chain is moving up and down a huge amount, you can see it 'whipping' in repsonse to the movement of the bike. if you fix the chain in a certain position halfway along it's length then you cut down on that.
    MTB/CX

• mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    There isn't any way for it to be reducing chainslap, seriously.

It's a bit like a guitar string. Reducing the free length of chain will (a) increase the frequency the chain wobbles at, and consequently (b) reduce the amplitude of wobble.

So your chain (1) moves less, but (2) it might be a bit closer to the thing it was hitting.

If (1) is bigger than (2), less chainslap.
    If (2) is bigger than (1), more chainslap.

Or, to put it another way, fitting a stinger might reduces chainslap.

Having a really strong derailleur spring would have the exact same effect.
  • bails87
    Right.....

So has anyone got a C.Guide, and has it reduced chainslap? :wink:
    MTB/CX

• mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    nope, and not a clue :)

I have a stinger, does that help? :)
  • bails87
    nope, and not a clue :)

I have a stinger, does that help? :)
    No, because I 've got a stinger and it does(n't) reduce chainslap :lol:
    MTB/CX

• YeehaaMcgee
    There isn't any way for it to be reducing chainslap, seriously.

It's a bit like a guitar string. Reducing the free length of chain will (a) increase the frequency the chain wobbles at, and consequently (b) reduce the amplitude of wobble.

So your chain (1) moves less, but (2) it might be a bit closer to the thing it was hitting.

If (1) is bigger than (2), less chainslap.
    If (2) is bigger than (1), more chainslap.

Or, to put it another way, fitting a stinger might reduces chainslap.

Having a really strong derailleur spring would have the exact same effect.
    An infinitely strong rear mech spring would stop chainslap. Moving one end of the "free" chain right next to the chainstay will not.
    The slapping you're hearing when the chain comess off your badly fitted stinger is more than likely the chain mashing against the stinger itself. And, if the chain has come off the chainring, you now have a hell of a lot more slack to slap around.
  • bails87
    I suppose the chain is marginally longer that it would be if I didn't have the stinger, so it would slap less* if I had no stinger and shortened the chain accordingly.

* less than it does when it escapes from the stinger.

I don't think it's noise of the chain against the stinger. The chain just runs along the bottom of the plastic roller.

And the chain doesn't come off the chainring, it comes off the roller.

In any case, I was asking about the C.Guide because:
    - I want something to help the chain stay on the rings
    - I want something to reduce chainslap compared to a 'free' system
    - I don't want a bashguard.

I'm not knocking the Stinger, I know it would work better with a bash, (not that it's bad now, most rides are fine, even if the chain does escape, it all works until I get a chance to nudge it back into place), the C.Guide just looks like a nice neat solution, and I was asking if anyone with experience of them knew if they worked. There are plenty of comments on other sites about them quietening the drivetrain.
    MTB/CX