Your favourite burger?

13»

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Another addict here - I've been working on perfecting a pulled pork recipe for a few months now. Surprisingly hard to get right using a domestic oven.

Getting sufficiently good though that the good lady has made no objections whatsoever to my plans for building a smoke oven in the garden :-D

Used to live in Syracuse in upstate NY and the Dinosaur BBQ in town is a legend. Some of the best meaty goodness I have ever eaten. When the NY State Fair is on in the summer they set up there as well, with a smoke oven you could cook a VW Beetle in....
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    supersonic wrote:
    I ate it all too! Was sweating a bit. Was certainly sweating the next morning, thought I was going to have to call for an epidural...
    :lol:

Nowadays I've watch enough I've got a good idea if he'll make it or not.

He pretty much has a 5lb limit.

I think he did 7lbs once, but tat ice cream one was stunning - TWO GALLONS!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    supersonic wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    I ate it all too! Was sweating a bit. Was certainly sweating the next morning, thought I was going to have to call for an epidural...
    :lol:

Nowadays I've watch enough I've got a good idea if he'll make it or not.

He pretty much has a 5lb limit.

I think he did 7lbs once, but tat ice cream one was stunning - TWO GALLONS!

HAVE NOT SEEN THAT.

Will keep an eye out.

7lbs? Christ almighty!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    supersonic wrote:
    Man Vs Food is fantastic TV, always gets my appetite up! Once watched an episode, and straight after cooked myself a 4lb plate of chips, chilli and cheese!

manvsfood-1.jpg

This only works when you stick it under the grill to melt the cheese through....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • supersonic
    I kid you not, he ate ALL of this!

IMG_0089.JPG
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Man v's food is awesome.

Pulled Pork is amazing, you can get a pretty good version in waitrose were they have done all the hard work.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    SimonAH wrote:
    Another addict here - I've been working on perfecting a pulled pork recipe for a few months now. Surprisingly hard to get right using a domestic oven.

[...]
    What's the current top recipe? We've been buying hand of pork from our butcher for pulling, & it's been a great success; be good to try an alternative recipe to the Ch4 Fab.BakerBoys' one.
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    on the burger front, big beef burger thats been cooked on a nearly too-hot grill, so nearly chared on the outside but really juicy in the middle. Big mushroom, fried, lots of blue cheese and a little salad.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Greg's quasi-Canadian. You're lucky he doesn't just put maple syrup on it....

FTFY!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    supersonic wrote:

You must have given birth to something the size of a baby Shetland after eating that!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Veronese68 wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    anyone else hankering for a burger now??
    Cannibal

if you cant beat em....eat em!!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • SickAsAParrot
    SickAsAParrot Posts: 212
    One of my greatest ever burger memories was going into Ed's diner in Dublin in '98 when the TDF started there. I'd just watched France win the world cup in one of the Temple Bar bars so of course they were running around the streets celebrating. I fancied a burger with blue cheese on and by god if it wasn't the most fantastic thing i'd ever tasted. Fresh ground beef roughly hewn into a vague burger shape with proper chunks of semi-melted stilton on top.

I tried to get the same thing in the London branch a couple of years later and it wasn't anything like the same, normal burger with 'blue cheese sauce' on :(
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    The burgers at the OK Diners are great, there's one just down the road from me on the A5.

The 10oz ones are lovely proper juicy beef. The plain cheese burger is lovely but the 10oz Big BBQ is my favourite. Small salad, ketchup, mayo, big non uniformly shaped burger, BBQ sauce, crispy bacon, cheese and onion rings. Heaven.

The place is a bit kitch american diner, and the service isn't up to US standards but mmmmm.

He's an example, not what I would have though

5743762548_5678d787cb.jpg

www.okdiners.com
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    home made patty of lean beef mince with finely chopped red onion, thyme, oregano, crushed garlic, one egg, olive oil and salt n peppa.
    Augement that as you will but that is a top notch base.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    prawny wrote:
    The burgers at the OK Diners are great, there's one just down the road from me on the A5.

The 10oz ones are lovely proper juicy beef. The plain cheese burger is lovely but the 10oz Big BBQ is my favourite. Small salad, ketchup, mayo, big non uniformly shaped burger, BBQ sauce, crispy bacon, cheese and onion rings. Heaven.

The place is a bit kitch american diner, and the service isn't up to US standards but mmmmm.

He's an example, not what I would have though

5743762548_5678d787cb.jpg

http://www.okdiners.com

Me no likely the chips.
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,068
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,068
    As heard on Radio 2 once, Wimpy wanted to sell hot dogs, but for some unknown reason their bread distributor couldn't supply submarine rolls. So the had the great idea to slash the sausage and curl it round to fit into a normal burger bun.
  • supersonic
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Rick, the chips are without doubt, the best "fries" I've had in this country. Skin on, nicely seasoned no need for extra salt, vinegar or ketchup. Bostin (as they say round my way).
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I must be in the minority because I don't think meat is at its best when it has been minced up....

In general though, any burger with a decent blue cheese gets my vote!
  • SimonAH
    If you really want a shocker for minced meat Google "mechanically reclaimed chicken"

Unless there is ABSOLUTELY NO ALTERNATIVE I will never never eat another non-fillet chicken product. Never.

• Libraio
    Libraio Posts: 181
    Minced lamb patty, home made piri piri mayonaise, dried tomatos on a home made kaiser bun. MMMMmmmhhhh, just ate but could a burger now.
    The Commuter: 2009 Trek District
    The John Deere: 2011 Van Dessel WTF
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    SimonAH wrote:
    If you really want a shocker for minced meat Google "mechanically reclaimed chicken"

Unless there is ABSOLUTELY NO ALTERNATIVE I will never never eat another non-fillet chicken product. Never.

How about drumsticks? :lol::lol::lol:
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • SimonAH
    DesWeller wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

Pedant! :-D we're talking burgers here. Do try to keep up!

• cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    SimonAH wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

Pedant! :-D we're talking burgers here. Do try to keep up!

Breast man eh Simon. Don't you like thighs?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?