KPH or MPH

2»

Comments

• southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    6ft tall, 11st 7lb, drink pints, hit a golf ball 250yrds with a driver, run 26.2miles for fun, cycle 40+mph down the hill into East Dean.

I'm ENGLISH.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    Slightly strange is that the British, the americans and the continentals - in fact I think most of the world - use a combination of both metric and imperial sizes together to buy a fairly regular, normal item.
  • sancho1983
    sancho1983 Posts: 76
    Like someone mentioned above I will go for wood that is 30mm by 2ft, or 2 inches by 1m.

Our generation has been messed up...
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,155
    kph

si units are the metric ones, physics, engineering, are metric, it's just better

imperial units, miles/furlongs/fathoms/chains/yards/feet/inches/acres/pounds/ounces/pints/drams/grains etc. are a pain and need to be cast into the darkness

the only exceptions are minutes, hours etc., because going to base 10 would be a real bugger, and anyway, for engineering you only need seconds and they are subdivided neatly by various inverse powers of ten

oh, and eggs, even in europe they are sold by the half dozen
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • TJA
    TJA Posts: 8
    Lets not forget temperature

0 C ==> cold
    80 F ==> warm

MPH for me
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    6ft tall, 11st 7lb, drink pints, hit a golf ball 250yrds with a driver, run 26.2miles for fun, cycle 40+mph down the hill into East Dean.

I'm ENGLISH.
    But very light for your height...
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • AllezGaz
    AllezGaz Posts: 93
    Mmm some interesting comments :)

May try kph for a while to see if I can get my head around it and see how slow I really am compared to the Pro's :lol:
  • mikeeye
    mikeeye Posts: 162
    Shouldn't the poll be "km/h or mph"? As per Wikipedia.

I voted mph, though I have been known to go the extra mile to ensure a ride is a multiple of 100kms.
    If you still don't know what recursion is, read this sentence.
  • southdownswolf
    TheFD wrote:

I'm ENGLISH.

actually I'm pretty much perfect weight for my height. Strangely I tend to lose weight when I am NOT training.
  • southdownswolf
    MikeEye wrote:
    though I have been known to go the extra mile to ensure a ride is a multiple of 100kms.

:? :wink:
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    TheFD wrote:

I'm ENGLISH.

Hmm, I'm about the same - 6ft tall and 75kg.
  • Widgey
    Widgey Posts: 157
    Speed and distance in miles. Weight in Kilos. Height in Feet and Inches. Fluid in litres *except pints as the barstaff tend to give strange looks "ordering a 568 ml drink of your finest". Measurements in MM. Temperature in Celsius.

Surely that is normal?
  • ineedalager
    ineedalager Posts: 374
    It' all a con why do you think the oil companies want to sell us petrol in litres instead of gallons. So when it goes up a 1p they get 4.5 times more out of us. They are cheating thieving bart**ds.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I grew up with miles. I prefer them and here in the UK you can get away with using them, or at least have a choice. In Australia where I lived for many years it had to be kilometres unless you were talking to a much older person
  • Peanutt
    Peanutt Posts: 229
    mph while I'm on the bike, kph when I'm talking about it afterwards
    No matter where you are, that's where you've been
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    sancho1983 wrote:
    Like someone mentioned above I will go for wood that is 30mm by 2ft, or 2 inches by 1m.

Our generation has been messed up...
    +1

I've tried kph but it's too confusing, especially once your brain gets tired after about 40miles
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • tonyf34
    tonyf34 Posts: 194
    Deffo Mph, in fact people here have said kph which surely should be km/h for accuracy from a metric standpoint ;)
    I say I'm 5ft 11 (but use) 103kg (as that's what the hospital weigh me in)
    Places are still measured in miles here, there are few if any Km indicators on paper maps either, I still work out my fuel consumption in miles per gallon.
    I was lucky, back in the mid 80s my maths teacher made us learn both imperial and metric, I just prefer imperial for the most part.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    thecrofter wrote:
    I've tried kph but it's too confusing, especially once your brain gets tired after about 64km
    ftfy
  • mikebikemike
    mikebikemike Posts: 166
    KPH for navigating
    MPH for trying to get fit - X MPH seems so slow that I push myself harder.
    At other times I don't care and just enjoy the ride.
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    km/h since I'm a Dutchie...
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    Used km/h for the first time today and just didnt feel right. Although it did allow me my first half century which sounds better than 31 miles.

Tend to push myself harder when working in mph and miles.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    klep wrote:
    km/h since I'm a Dutchie...

Leuk zeg.
  • TommyB61
    TommyB61 Posts: 103
    KPH all day long. Are we not Europeans & cyclists?
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    TommyB61 wrote:
    KPH all day long. Are we not Europeans & cyclists?

Cyclist - possibly

European - nope

:)