AllezGaz
AllezGaz Posts: 93
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
How do you roll :wink: ?

Comments

• sancho1983
    sancho1983 Posts: 76
    MPH here, although KPH makes it sound further/faster

I did 38 kilometres on Saturday, sounds much better than 24 miles :)
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    mph its one of the few imperial units we still use.

kph is just cheating ;) makes you look faster or have gone further than you actually did
  • Rule74Please
    Rule74Please Posts: 307
    rides in kph and metres gained, gradients in %

Makes us seem mysterious and different to normal people (non riders)
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    AllezGaz wrote:
    How do you roll :wink: ?
    And I still measure height in feet, and weight in stones...!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • It's KPH on the continent and we all secretly want to be suave Italian racers (hence the cult status of Campag) - so you should use KPH.
    Independent website - Rate and share your sportive experience
    http://www.sportiverater.com
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Road signs and speed limits are in miles so I use mph, tbh if the goverment suddenly decided to UK would be go completely metric I wouldn't have any objections, but as imperial distance and speed are still used it makes sense to use them. I dont agree with km sounding faster or further, when someone says they rode 100km to me it just sounds like someone trying to make 60 miles sound further than it is.
  • McBoom
    McBoom Posts: 78
    I use KM. Mainly because it's far more intuitive for elevation/distance ratios to see how hilly routes are.

Something like:

10m/1km = hilly
    15m/1km = very hilly
    20m/1km = extremely hilly
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Miles. And yards, and feet, and inches where appropriate. This is England, not some foreign country. Come on chaps.
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Kilometers. Its Euro.
  • tipped
    tipped Posts: 27
    Metric for everything, except average speed which I like to know in MPH (and only worry about after a ride, rather than during).
    Planet X SL Team 2011 (SRAM Red, Krysium Elite)
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Metric. Cos that's what the pros do. This is not in order to measure yourself against the pros, it's to show how much better than us they are.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • BobScarle
    BobScarle Posts: 282
    I'm a bit mixed up.....

Total distance in miles, average speed in mph, height in metres and gradients in %. I know it's all mixed up. I might even look for a piece of wood (I also do woodwork) that is 20mm thick x 60mm wide and is 2ft long. :?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I find it difficult to visualise miles.

Kilos feel at home with me. They make sense.

And as Gizmo says, given the professional sport is all in KMs, my entire understanding of cycling is in that.

I use bar too.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Made the leap to kph when I started audax as everything is written in metric.

I find it hard to understand mph now - I jumped on the tandem for the first time this year over the weekend - the computer on that is set to imperial (for the benefit of my stoker) and it was hard to gauge distance and time until I converted it to km.
  • Lossie Loon
    Lossie Loon Posts: 65
    I prefer miles & mph because it gives me comparison to what I do in the car. :lol:

I do record both, but my preference is for miles and mph.
  • Rule74Please
    Rule74Please Posts: 307
    Really it makes no difference

Rule #68
    // Rides are to be measured by quality, not quantity.

Rides are to be measured by the quality of their distance and never by distance alone. For climbing rides, distances should be referred to by the amount of vertical covered; flat and rolling rides should be referred to by their distance and average speed. For example, declaring “We rode 4km” would assert that 4000m were covered during the ride, with the distance being irrelevant. Conversely, a flat ride of 150km at 23kmh is not something that should be discussed in an open forum and Rule #5 must be reviewed at once.7
  • TKF
    TKF Posts: 279
    Interesting that the poll completely contradicts the majority of posts.

Personally I ride in England and use English SI.
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    I'm surprised by the poll. Metric for me.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I'd feel I was cheating if I said I'd ridden 100 *cough* km *cough*.

Plus cruising at 20mph is marginally simpler than 32kph..
  • plife
    plife Posts: 97
    Has to be mph for me, I have no concept of kph!
    Boardman FS Pro 2010
    Felt F5 2011
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Do you still measure temperature in Gallons? :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    Rule #24
    Speeds and distances shall be referred to and measured in kilometers.
    This includes while discussing cycling in the workplace with your non-cycling coworkers, serving to further mystify our sport in the web of their Neanderthalic cognitive capabilities. As the confused expression spreads across their unibrowed faces, casually mention your shaved legs. All of cycling’s monuments are measured in the metric system and as such the English system is forbidden
  • rick_chasey
    e999sam wrote:
    Rule #24
    Speeds and distances shall be referred to and measured in kilometers.
    This includes while discussing cycling in the workplace with your non-cycling coworkers, serving to further mystify our sport in the web of their Neanderthalic cognitive capabilities. As the confused expression spreads across their unibrowed faces, casually mention your shaved legs. All of cycling’s monuments are measured in the metric system and as such the English system is forbidden

Pfft rules.

I play by my own rules
  • CiB
    As if by magic, dead sheep Lord Howe has an opinion.

He's welcome to it.
  • rick_chasey
    CiB wrote:
    As if by magic, dead sheep Lord Howe has an opinion.

He's welcome to it.

"metrically literate elite and a rudderless and bewildered majority”.

Hero.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,183
    I just ride in miles and convert in my head as I go ;)
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    kph and kilometres.

Makes it easier to equate to race distances which are all in kilometres.
  • CiB
    Singleton wrote:
    kph and kilometres.

Makes it easier to equate to race distances which are all in kilometres.
    See that's where you're wrong. Watching Phil & Paul getting all excited on the TdF commentary is great till they start blurting out nonsense like 'descending at over 60kph' or 'just 30 kilometres to go for this breakaway to succeed', and I have to convert them into proper numbers to get a sense of it all - 60kph sounds okay until you convert it to real numbers and realise it's only about 38mph (I can do 38mph), or 30k is actually about 18 miles, less than my commute.
  • Clearly speed should be measured in metres per second.
  • andy-64
    andy-64 Posts: 51
    mph I'm British, kph is for the continent come on guys this the only thing Brussels as left us with