Bonification

lemon63
lemon63 Posts: 253
edited May 2012 in Pro race
Sean Kelly on Eurosport talking about bonus seconds for wins etc,
"...... bonifications.." is that a real word or a Kellyism, either way brilliant punditry. :lol:

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    It's the French word for it. Kelly uses phrases from their original language or vaguely Anglicised versions of them. General Classement is another one you will hear.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    This was bothering me too!

• dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    I like it when he talks about retardation, as provided by brakes. I usually use that term in regard to work colleagues :D
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    RichN95 wrote:
    General Classement is another one you will hear.

Majorly.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    RichN95 wrote:
    It's the French word for it.
    It's also the French word for maternity leave!
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    I thought it sounded really weird too. Bonification actually is an English word but it refers to the act of paying a bonus, (not the bonus itself) or the 'betterment' of something.

Sean Kelly also needs to come up with an adjective other then "big time". :roll:
  • I'd love to hear Sean speaking French.

I imagine he just does it in his Irish brogue,

Failing that I'd love to be proved wrong and learn that he has a beautiful cultured French accent.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431

Sean Kelly also needs to come up with an adjective other then "big time". :roll:

How about "majorly"? :lol::lol:
    www.dotcycling.com
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Anyone else think he's getting better?
    Especially in the Tours where Harmon doesn't have to spend half the race explaining the history like he does for the one dayers.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    [fascinating fact]

Due to their latinate origins, words ending in -ion are typically the same across English and French

[/fascinating fact]

Strava is not Zen.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    calvjones wrote:
    [fascinating fact]

Due to their latinate origins, words ending in -ion are typically the same across English and French

[/fascinating fact]

[fascinating pedantry]
    The exception is the word ion, which is from Greek. Though it is, of course, the same in French anyway.
    [/fascinating pedantry]
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    [stretching an off topic to breaking point]

Of course, most English words suffixes -ism find their French counterparts in -isme, although fascinatingly, none of us here indulge in 'cyclism'. Ho. Ho.

[/etc & c.]

Strava is not Zen.
  • majormantra
    emadden wrote:

How about "majorly"? :lol::lol:

That's an adverb. :wink:
  • knedlicky wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    It's the French word for it.
    It's also the French word for maternity leave!

This is good; the rest of the thread I find Shallow And Pedantic.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Anyone else think he's getting better?
    Especially in the Tours where Harmon doesn't have to spend half the race explaining the history like he does for the one dayers.
    Yes, Rick, I was thinking the same thing myself Sean's definitely more comfortable commentating now. I do love it though, when Harmon waffles on and then Sean puts him right! 'Erm! No, I don't think so!'. Lovely!
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • majormantra
    Harmon's waffling is a lot more entertaining than Kelly's droning.
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    I think seans got a lot better this past while....seems a bit more chatty / sociable than normal?
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    He's got way better. If anything he goes on too long now, rather than say too little.

He generally calls the break/bid for glory correctly which is one way good punditry, but in another kills any suspense/excitement for doomed breaks.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Timoid. wrote:
    He's got way better. If anything he goes on too long now, rather than say too little.

He generally calls the break/bid for glory correctly which is one way good punditry, but in another kills any suspense/excitement for doomed breaks.

S'what you want isn't it?
  • timoid.
    Timoid. wrote:

S'what you want isn't it?

Me, yes. I'll still watch (unless its pancake flat and I wind on to the last 2km and watch Cavendish win), but for the more casual viewer it might mean they'll switch off.

Dunno. Suppose you can't have it both ways.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Timoid. wrote:

Did you hear him calling the Pirazzi attack on the climb a couple of days ago? He'd win PTP by about 500 points.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,185
    afx237vi wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

Did you hear him calling the Pirazzi attack on the climb a couple of days ago? He'd win PTP by about 500 points.

We'd have to get him tested. I reckon he'd end up positive for cycling knowledge and therefore would have to be banned for life ;)
  • timoid.
    Pross wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

We'd have to get him tested. I reckon he'd end up positive for cycling knowledge and therefore would have to be banned for life ;)

Well, certainly
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Timoid. wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

Well, certainly
    FFS - it's "certaintly".
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Is it just me or is Harmon being particularly irritating during the Giro? If I hear one more time that Pozzato took out Goss I shall scream; I've already shouted at him as it is. (You stupid man!) It was an accident, these things happen as Sean would say (and he knows more about racing than DH has had hot dinners) but to keep going on and on infinitum about it is so annoying. He doesn't like criticism either does he - Sky bias, Cavendish etc. He was very short again when someone mentioned this today but then he shouldn't let people twitter at him during the race if he doesn't like what they say.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Sean seems to have been more chatty recently, although not majorly so. I thought it might have just been me warming to him but he certainly sounds a bit more cheery.

Which is a bonification.

I haven't noticed much change in Harmon but to be honest I'm just happy to hear him rather than Kirby.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Anyone but Kirby.

Although I do like Magnus and Brian.
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    Harmon seems to have recently discovered the word "kibosh" and loves whipping it out whenever he can.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I think we need to try and get one of them to use the word "chipper", with the ToC on at the moment it would seem as good a time as any.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    B3rnieMac wrote:
    Harmon seems to have recently discovered the word "kibosh" and loves whipping it out whenever he can.

Irish word - probably borrowed from Kelly
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'