• Dr Avinuon
    Dr Avinuon Posts: 26
    edhornby wrote:
    600 pa for a virgin or about a grand for a david lloyd
    last
    Now that’s a lot to spend on a hooker
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    especially as a virgin is one use only, why would you want them for a year?
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    It could be worse. You could have spent that money on golf clubs.
  • Rankles
    Rankles Posts: 144
    My boss drives a V12 Vantage. He gets it.
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    Rankles wrote:
    My boss drives a V12 Vantage. He's got AA membership.

:lol:

Joking aside though, it's simply not worth the hassle trying to justify why you spent however much on a decent bike to somebody who's ignorant enough to ask the question. Tell them to ride their cheapo special then hire out a proper bike to ride the same trail then ask if they want to know why you spent that much :wink:
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    My one is smash a landy down a DH track big ass drop off and see how much work it needs at the bottom... My bike doesn't then the monkey at the office shuts up as he likes off road driving.

But as most say people find value it what they like to do.
  • SPIRO
    SPIRO Posts: 200
    Because life is short and you cant take it (money) with you. Provided you can afford it why not spend it on things that give you enjoyment now. :wink:
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    edited May 2012
    I tend to justify mine in terms of gym membership. That was until I spent more on bikes than gym membership. Now I justify it on the basis that it might reduce the chances of me having a heart attack (both my dad and my brother have had them).

£1,200 is not a lot on a bike. I reckon I spend that a year on bits and bobs. When you first get in to cycling you think people are crazy to spend £5K on a bike. There probably is a point where cost out ways the extra benefit., as with all things. A £500 camera lens is probably almost as good as one costing £2K. But if you are in to your photography, its going to be the difference between brilliant and good. Just the same for bikes, cars etc.
  • mr joey
    mr joey Posts: 427
    does it make you a cup of tea! does it tell you the time! i got it from mates at work when i shelled out £1100 for my heckler frame but brindlescoops sumed it up perfectly for me well said!!
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    So your average work bloke who goes up the pub on a Saturday and spends £20 on Ale, smokes 10 a day, suddenly its £48 a week. Plus a few quid in the fruity, so lets say £55 a week. Thats £3025 a year to slowly kill yourself. makes a £2.5k full susser which is free to use once you have it and has resale value look pretty cheap, I reckon (that was my justification anyway).
    You logic collapses in the face of the riders who splash their dosh on beer and fruities AND then splurge 3k on a full bouncer. :mrgreen:
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    lol update he has put his notice iin at work ......brilliant
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • LaurenceGough
    LaurenceGough Posts: 218
    delcol wrote:
    the one i used to laugh at the most is
    " you can get a suspension bike for £80 from asda ,tesco or jjb"
    i always said well go out and buy one then i will take you mountain biking with me and if you can keep up with me on that bike and it still be in one peice at the bottom of the run then i will give the money back you paid for the bike..
    that usually worked..

The best suggestion in this thread :).

They've never tried a decent bike so they wouldn't know the difference between those cheap pogo sticks with two wheels and decent bikes.

Biking - A hell of a lot of fun while getting fit and enjoying many views. Who needs boring gym membership when you have forests and trails out there to be ripped upon!
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite 2010
    Mongoose Tyax Elite 2007
    Carrera Limited Edition TDF

Full suspension - King of the forest!

If anyone rides in Sulham Wood give me a shout :).
  • SUPERSUTT
    SUPERSUTT Posts: 292
    is he fat and smells of stale smoke if he does he sound like the same guy i have at my work place he also must spend about £5 each day in the snacks machine on crisps ,chocalate bars and pies and wonders why his wife left him for a slimmer fitter man. i just tell them i look fooking good in a suit i dont have to buy my clothes from jacomocos the money i save from cycling to work i can spend on top brands and have them fitted.
    falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts

FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
    FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
    HT Merlin Malt one (sold)
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    brilliant mate .....and yess this is the guy 100 percent lol
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    SUPERSUTT wrote:
    the money i save from cycling
    I'm sorry, I don't understand, cycling saves money? :?

:wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I wouldn't even bother justifying it tbh. You don't have too.

I race karts so spav alot of money on that (MTB is my secondry hobby so tend to think about purchases alot harder) and get the same old guff. 'How much for a season!? How much for a <insert generic bit of kit>???

I spend my money on things that i extract pleasure from (When man-hunting ranges are legalised, i'll be broke!) so it's nobody else's business.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    the money i save from cycling to work i can spend on top brands and have them fitted.

You spend how much money on fitted suits from the top brands!?!?!

You could just get one from Tesco's or Matalan for far less money.

Has your wife left you for a more intelligent man?
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    styxd wrote:
    the money i save from cycling to work i can spend on top brands and have them fitted.

You spend how much money on fitted suits from the top brands!?!?!

You could just get one from Tesco's or Matalan for far less money.

Has your wife left you for a more intelligent man?
    #

while you are there you could pick up a new bike.....
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Funny, but the last 2 times I've been to cannock I've seen a group of guys on decent MTB's and someone on a supermarket clunker, both times I (moderately subtly) asked what they were doing on it, both times it was 'for a laugh and to see how long it lasts...)

My parents bought to cheap FS from the sunday papers, £99 for TWO delivered, (compared to £200 ea I guess that is a bargain!)...My Dad still rides his 3 years later round the village, when I suggest getting something better he points out that it wouldn't keep him as fit, and he has a full set of spare parts in my Mums bike!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.