bloke at work..y you spend that on a bike when you could get

sigorman85
sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
edited May 2012 in MTB general
there is this twat/bloke at work that said to me why did you spen 1249 on a bike? when you can go an get one for 200... i explained to him the differences ut he still wouldnt have it he was saying i could buy a car for that....any one else no ppl like this or am i just the unlucky one? it really pisses me off i just have to walk away from ppl like this my bike is classed a budget bike specialized camber comp 2011........some ppl just aint got a clue
When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    That's the Dorset mindset for you.
  • Most people I know couldn't believe I was happy to shell out £750 for my bike; I tell them I want a FS that might cost as much as £2000 or more and they think I'm mental. Then again, I think I'm mental.
  • brindlescoops
    brindlescoops Posts: 465
    So your average work bloke who goes up the pub on a Saturday and spends £20 on Ale, smokes 10 a day, suddenly its £48 a week. Plus a few quid in the fruity, so lets say £55 a week. Thats £3025 a year to slowly kill yourself. makes a £2.5k full susser which is free to use once you have it and has resale value look pretty cheap, I reckon (that was my justification anyway).
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just ask them how much they spend on blow and hookers.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • billyballs
    billyballs Posts: 41
    He probably has,nt been in a bike shop in his life and many people who have visited a bike shop did so in the 60s so when they see the price of some bikes now they fall over. The price of some bikes are hideous at the moment . maybe he,s just old school like my mother and thinks £50 is more than enough to spend on a bike. ha ha. ask him how much he spends on petrol every week. then the price of the bike makes sense. if its your hobby or interest then tell him it,s your money and you,ll spend it how you want. He probably wastes money on garden gnomes anyway.
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    In fairness to the chap he may have a point. I went out yesterday with a mate who was on an old rigid mtb with canti's and no granny ring (well it had one but they couldn't use it) and the bike may on a good day be worth £100. Another chap was on a 2k full fuss xc bike and he got his ass well and truly kicked!

However its your money and he probably blows money on stuff you find excessive, it's quite funny that you got yourself so wound up though!
  • sigorman85
    So your average work bloke who goes up the pub on a Saturday and spends £20 on Ale, smokes 10 a day, suddenly its £48 a week. Plus a few quid in the fruity, so lets say £55 a week. Thats £3025 a year to slowly kill yourself. makes a £2.5k full susser which is free to use once you have it and has resale value look pretty cheap, I reckon (that was my justification anyway).

brilliant he is going to get this tomoz! as this is him to a T
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

• sigorman85
    He probably wastes money on garden gnomes anyway

AND THIS!

• sigorman85
    he is the type of guy who thinks he is rite even tho he knows he is wrong

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i spent more than that just on the frame.. i used to get it all the time..
    "go on tell him or go on ask him how much he spent on his bike" which one i would reply i have a few
    "that one you go to canada on the expensive one"
    i take a few bikes to canada with me so again which one.
    i then say my dh bike was £5000 my am/trail bike is around £4000 and my hardtail around £2500
    "£5000 and it aint even got an engine.. you could get a car for that a decent car even"
    it has two engines a left and right leg.. then followed by more stupid comments
    the one i used to laugh at the most is
    " you can get a suspension bike for £80 from asda ,tesco or jjb"
    i always said well go out and buy one then i will take you mountain biking with me and if you can keep up with me on that bike and it still be in one peice at the bottom of the run then i will give the money back you paid for the bike..
    that usually worked.. if not ask him if his penis can touch his bumhole.. then tell him to go foooook himself.
    that always works..
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    We all have things that we're prepared to spend our money on, and things that we go for the budget option on.

Some people spend more of their money on hobbies, cars, holidays, clothes, food and drink, large screen TV's etc. There's not many people that spend a fortune on ALL these things - but we all have different priorities.

I do spend a bit (okay more than that) of money on gear, but I don't spend £350 a year on gym membership that I never use.
  • I get it from my dad, and a few lads I work with but 2 of them have started riding with now.

You can buy a car for 1250 quid but it will cost you double to run it for a year .
    My car cost me £800 and is just used at weekends for carting my wife's, son's and my bikes around, add to that £500 insurance, £110 every 6 month on road tax, £30 a week on fuel it soon adds up.
    Then point out you can't take a car round a trail centre or across the peak district.
    00 carrea kraken SE(still going)
    09 M-trax 2.0ht
    11 Cube AMS 100 comp. 2011
    12 Canyon Nerve XC 8.0
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    6 months ago I was spending £300 a month on running a car (tax, insurance, fuel, maintenance etc.) and this is seen as acceptable and normal and probably quite cheap compared to everyone else's car bills.

Sold the car (£600), bought a road bike with the money (£600 - still break even).

Ride to work, see family and everything else, save £300 a month, sooooo much fitter than I was and because of the money I am saving I have just ordered £850 worth of hardtail.

In a years time I could quite easily buy a £2k full susser and I would STILL be quids in and healthier.

Once I have told this story, anyone who questions my spending usually shuts up and gets on with life.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Whilst I have a few bikes that cost that and more you can't argue with the bloke because he's right.

I ride motorbikes and can go out and buy a new 125cc motorbike for the same money that my road bike cost. So that's the same number of wheels, twice the amount of frame material, an electrical loom, bigger suspension componentry than my full sus mountain bike has, an engine (!!!!) and yet is still profitable for it's makers at £2.5k.

At the end of the day the money in cycling goes in the pockets of the distributors and retailers because it's a low volume product so it needs to have high margins to make it work financially for those in the supply chain. Canyon, Rose and others have proved what can be done if you cut out the middle man............(and they're still making very good money!!!)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    sigorman85 wrote:
    there is this fool/bloke at work that said to me why did you spen 1249 on a bike?

tell him you like shiny things
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Ask him how much he spent on his car.

If it was more than £220 then he's a mug and, by his own logic, should have bought this.

I'd just ignore him though.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    The whole 'you could get a car for that' argument is bullshit. I normally just explain that the only reason I own a car is so I can take my bike places.

As mentioned before, most blokes spend all weekend in the pub doing the same thing over and over. Leave them to it I say
  • Mental Mickey
    Mental Mickey Posts: 406
    This subject covers a lot of things people question you regarding your finances, or get jealous about, people at work are often like this....and the answer should always be the same when someone questions you.

''My money - my rules''
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368
    edited May 2012

Bloody 'el would love to go the pub and only spend £20 - usually can't get by on less than £30-40 and more if my missus joins me :)

Joking aside - free to use! - I am forever spending money fixing things I have broken or I need to upgrade (Bent Crank last time), new tubes (until I went tubless - and that was about £50), new tyres, chain and cassette, dropper, bars, crud catchers (multiple on the rear), lights and batteries, five tens, gilet, knee pads......

Looking for a new lid next - that will set me back up £70 for a flux...

Someone once said put a tenner on the mantel piece each time you go out - thats about £150 a month then.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    My usual response is well how much did your 50 inch TV cost you know the one you spend the majority of your free time slumped in front of being a vegetable.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    sigorman85 wrote:
    there is this fool/bloke at work that said to me why did you spen 1249 on a bike? when you can go an get one for 200... i explained to him the differences ut he still wouldnt have it he was saying i could buy a car for that....any one else no ppl like this or am i just the unlucky one? it really pisses me off i just have to walk away from ppl like this my bike is classed a budget bike specialized camber comp 2011........some ppl just aint got a clue

my question is why you let people like that annoy you

if you love your bike, then who gives a f*ck what he thinks
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    y you spend that on a bike when you could get
    cos I wanna
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You can spend what you like on a bike and ride what you like. It may not be comfortable, easy or stay in one piece. Though you could get a fine enough second hand hard tail.

A new full sus @ £200 - just get him to go ride it properly off road. Then he'll understand.

I have to admit I went through this 12 years ago. My mind set was that £200 was quite a bit for a bike anyway (in my childhood, even £50 was a fortune for a bike). A bloke at work bought a £3k bike and was raving over it (bear in mind, this was £3k bike 12 years ago!) and I and all my work colleagues thought he was nuts. Bought a cheap bike that was a bit crap from a certain retailer renowned for selling these, barely rid it other than down the tow path and forgot about it. Years later found Swinley, thinking it was just going to be cruising round fireroads, then found the singletrack and the downhilly bits. It was fun, but the bike fell apart. That was where the fun began. That crap bike got me hooked and spending a fortune on bikes.
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    A lad I worked with bought a second hand full susser for £20 off someone and we took him to Cwmcarn DH on it. Fair play he did 3 runs before it imploded. He's got a lapierre spicy now :P
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    A slight twist on the "I've bought it, then its free to ride" thinking.

If you bought a full suss bike (of mid range quality) how much would it cost a year to ride when you take into account maintainace, losses/damage, fuel costs of getting it somewhere and any riding kit that you buy/replace (assume you've already got the basics)

A lot would depend on how much riding you did so maybe base it on 1 weekend ride and one evening ride on red/black terrain (does not have to be a centre though)

I ride between 3-4 times a week and probably spend 200 on routine maintenance, 50 a month on fuel, and riding kit maybe 100 per year (yes, its battered!)
  • brindlescoops
    brindlescoops Posts: 465
    sandy771 wrote:

Bloody 'el would love to go the pub and only spend £20 - usually can't get by on less than £30-40 and more if my missus joins me :)

Joking aside - free to use! - I am forever spending money fixing things I have broken or I need to upgrade (Bent Crank last time), new tubes (until I went tubless - and that was about £50), new tyres, chain and cassette, dropper, bars, crud catchers (multiple on the rear), lights and batteries, five tens, gilet, knee pads......

Looking for a new lid next - that will set me back up £70 for a flux...

Someone once said but a tenner on the mantel piece each time you go out - thats about £150 a month then.

My wife was reading it when I typed it (currently awaiting a big parcel of stuff from wiggle this morning :D ). P.S. get the flux, best helmet I ever had / tried on.
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    gezebo wrote:
    A slight twist on the "I've bought it, then its free to ride" thinking.

If you bought a full suss bike (of mid range quality) how much would it cost a year to ride when you take into account maintainace, losses/damage, fuel costs of getting it somewhere and any riding kit that you buy/replace (assume you've already got the basics)

a few hundred, probably

its a bit cheaper if
    you ride flat XC routes (and don't break stuff)
    you don't fall off (and don't break stuff)
    you don't ride into trees (and don't break stuff)
    ride through wet muddy crap (and get crap in bearings etc)

sandy771 wrote:
    Someone once said but a tenner on the mantel piece each time you go out

this
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    cooldad wrote:
    Just ask them how much they spend on blow and hookers.

Probably not as much as me!!! :shock: :D
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    sigorman85 wrote:
    there is this fool/bloke at work that said to me why did you spen 1249 on a bike? when you can go an get one for 200... i explained to him the differences ut he still wouldnt have it he was saying i could buy a car for that....any one else no ppl like this or am i just the unlucky one? it really pisses me off i just have to walk away from ppl like this my bike is classed a budget bike specialized camber comp 2011........some ppl just aint got a clue
    It happens in everything. Why would you spend £50k+ on a car when you can get a perfectly decent one for a few grand?
    Why would you spend over £500 on a lens for a camera when you can buy a whole camera for £100?
    Why would you spend a grand on a fishing rod?
    Why would you spend that much money on a TV?
    Why spend that much money on clothes?
    Food?
    Drink?
    Wine?
    Prostitutes?

People find value in the things that they do, and it can be hard to see value in the passtimes of others.
    It might be rather juvenile, but so is writing "ppl" and "go an get one", "any one else no people..." etc.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    Compare it to a gym membership for a year which is 600 pa for a virgin or about a grand for a david lloyd

Also use the primark jeans analogy, they are trousers that cover your legs so there is a similarity, but primark jeans are uncomfortable and don't last
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight